Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring Crimson Red
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any good insight as to why the car thinks my keys are inside 5-10% of the time when exiting the car?
I shut the car off, open the charge port door, gather up my stuff, exit the car, close the door and beep(you) beep(left) beep(your) beep(keys) beep(inside).
I re-open and close the door and the car is happy then. Very annoying!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can clarify with some insight. Beepbeepbeepbeepbeep after closing the closing the door happens when auto-lock is enabled, I'm sure you already know and are referring to this. The Clarity and all cars with smart keys constantly send out radio waves on an odyssey looking for its own key. There's a lot of digital noise out there (flight attendants ask us to turn off our electronics in planes on every flight for a reason but I don't know, I'm not a pilot). To the car, filtering through the mass of civic return replies can often rely on certainty of just a few bits in response. The car will encounter some signals that are just a few bits incorrect or one bit not received. Often - when you're not around.

That said, allow me to make a few assumptions based on your description -- If otherwise -- I can still help with a little more detail. First, I assume this happens most at home. Second, I'll assume you're in your garage, the charge door is opened with the button on the dash, and you start for the charger as fast as inertia finishes closing the door.

Auto-lock is an imperfect convenience and works best in an unobstructed environment. No one would leave their car on a ridgeline, but there wouldn't be much in the way of pinging the key there.

The answer --> your garage probably has some digital interference. If you're gathering your wallet, passport, groceries, and everything from your outing in a bag that will interfere with the key's response. When you shut the door, don't round the crv so quick, maybe wait a second by the door.

Hope this helps,
HR-V

·
Registered
4 Posts
To add, and to be more concise, here's the answer according to Honda owner's manual on a 2018 Clarity Plug-in page 38, a general Q&A:

Q: "Why does a beeper sound when I walk away from the vehicle after I close the door?"

A: "The beeper sounds if you move outside the walk away auto lock operating range before the door completely closes"

[5 feet]

·
Registered
2020 Touring Crimson Red
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That said, allow me to make a few assumptions based on your description -- If otherwise -- I can still help with a little more detail. First, I assume this happens most at home. Second, I'll assume you're in your garage, the charge door is opened with the button on the dash, and you start for the charger as fast as inertia finishes closing the door.

The answer --> your garage probably has some digital interference. If you're gathering your wallet, passport, groceries, and everything from your outing in a bag that will interfere with the key's response. When you shut the door, don't round the crv so quick, maybe wait a second by the door.

Hope this helps,
HR-V
Thanks for the detailed info but it happens a lot everywhere... park the car, turn off, unfasten seat belt, open door, exit, close door and immediately BeepBeepBeepBeepBeep while I'm still standing right there. Open door, close it again and then it's fine. I had recently (2 months ago?) added two Tile tags to my laptops and I suspected they were causing interference as the frequency of interference increased. I've removed the tags but I still have interference, albeit less that with the tags in the car. I've also been using a BLE beacon for about 4 months in the USB port for home automation. Yesterday I removed that and today I had numerous exits with no interference. I recently setup a USB powered ESP8266 using wi-fi as the trigger for home automation so the BLE beacon has become redundant anyway.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Crimson Red
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Without understanding the code routine Honda uses, it's difficult to surmise what's happening but my SWAG is...
The keys have left the car but the car has not yet detected they are outside when you close the door which could happen if there's BT interference and the beacon from the key fob is not received??
I have had trunk complaints if I lean too far inside the trunk while the key fob is in my pants pocket still outside the car. Now, were I to climb into the trunk then I would understand...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts