Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Clarity. Honda dealer diagnosed it with a damaged ATF cooler assembly and wants $1500 for parts and labor. One, is that something I should only have Honda do or can an independent garage do the replacement and repair? Two, the original fluid leak was discovered that led to this diagnosis when I had my car pulled onto flatbed tow truck with a flat tire. If the transmission wasn't properly out into neutra before being winched onto flatbed, could that have caused the damage. Last Question, if I can take it to an alternate repair shop besides honda, would it be OK to drive the vehicle under 3 miles distance or am I risking damage to the actual transmission? Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
I have a 2018 Clarity. Honda dealer diagnosed it with a damaged ATF cooler assembly and wants $1500 for parts and labor. One, is that something I should only have Honda do or can an independent garage do the replacement and repair? Two, the original fluid leak was discovered that led to this diagnosis when I had my car pulled onto flatbed tow truck with a flat tire. If the transmission wasn't properly out into neutra before being winched onto flatbed, could that have caused the damage. Last Question, if I can take it to an alternate repair shop besides honda, would it be OK to drive the vehicle under 3 miles distance or am I risking damage to the actual transmission? Thanks.
The part name is a bit of a misnomer because the Clarity doesn't have an automatic transmission, or even a CVT transmission. The ATF Cooler is the little radiator that is located behind a small opening in the left side of the front bumper. You will notice that in the same spot on the right side of the bumper there is no opening. I'm not sure what this radiator is cooling but the hoses seem to go towards the area where the traction motor is located.

The main radiator as well as the radiators for the A/C condenser, the battery and the inverter are located behind the larger opening in the center of the bumper. A third party company (search Google for Voltshelf) makes a plastic screen that goes into that center opening, it is attached with zip ties. Several of us have purchased this screen. Unfortunately they don't make a similar screen for the smaller opening because they don't have a good way for it to be attached without drilling a couple of holes into the bumper and using screws. Last I heard they were waiting for someone willing to bring their Clarity into their shop so they could figure out how it could be attached, I forget where they are located.

All of that is just background and may not apply to your situation, but can you ask what exactly is the damage, does it appear to be rock damage like what can happen with the other radiators?

·
Registered
117 Posts
"I'm not sure what this radiator is cooling but the hoses seem to go towards the area where the traction motor is located."

That should be the radiator for the isolated inverter cooling system?

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
"I'm not sure what this radiator is cooling but the hoses seem to go towards the area where the traction motor is located."

That should be the radiator for the isolated inverter cooling system?
Could be. I was guessing from the name that it had something to do with the propulsion system not electrical, but who knows. A while back I was trying to figure out which radiator is which, probably need to remove that black plastic panel that covers the radiators to get a better look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The part name is a bit of a misnomer because the Clarity doesn't have an automatic transmission, or even a CVT transmission. The ATF Cooler is the little radiator that is located behind a small opening in the left side of the front bumper. You will notice that in the same spot on the right side of the bumper there is no opening. I'm not sure what this radiator is cooling but the hoses seem to go towards the area where the traction motor is located.

The main radiator as well as the radiators for the A/C condenser, the battery and the inverter are located behind the larger opening in the center of the bumper. A third party company (search Google for Voltshelf) makes a plastic screen that goes into that center opening, it is attached with zip ties. Several of us have purchased this screen. Unfortunately they don't make a similar screen for the smaller opening because they don't have a good way for it to be attached without drilling a couple of holes into the bumper and using screws. Last I heard they were waiting for someone willing to bring their Clarity into their shop so they could figure out how it could be attached, I forget where they are located.

All of that is just background and may not apply to your situation, but can you ask what exactly is the damage, does it appear to be rock damage like what can happen with the other radiators?
They sent me a picture. There is a hole in the unit about the size of a dime according to the technician. (Bottom right corner of unit on side). Probably from a rock. Thanks for the info you provided.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Wood

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
657 Posts
They sent me a picture. There is a hole in the unit about the size of a dime according to the technician. (Bottom right corner of unit on side). Probably from a rock. Thanks for the info you provided. View attachment 929
I've already got the aftermarket screen for the main radiator intake. I may have to jimmy something up for that side intake, too. My son's got a 3D printer. Hmmm.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
"original fluid leak was discovered that led to this diagnosis when I had my car pulled onto flatbed tow truck with a flat tire. "

Sure that did not happen when the car was winched up on the flatbed?

·
Registered
247 Posts
After looking at that picture, and looking again at the opening in my own Clarity I am going to find a piece of mesh like the screen cover for the main opening (yes, I got that awhile back) and cut a piece and drill some holes to attached with zip ties. I have a few bent fins on the cooler and don't need any problems now that the weather here is glorious and the traffic on the freeway is going to get crowded with RVs and camping trailers.

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
385 Posts
"original fluid leak was discovered that led to this diagnosis when I had my car pulled onto flatbed tow truck with a flat tire. "

Sure that did not happen when the car was winched up on the flatbed?
That’s a good point. I would tend to be suspicious of the guy who winched it up on the flatbed. Oh, this looks like a good place to snag it…oops!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts