Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I use my Clarity as a relatively local commuter car. But need to drive between Dallas and Austin, approx. 200 miles. Anyone gone that far in hybrid mode? I know I can always stop for more gas, but I don't even know what my MPG will be at 75 mph. Thanks,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello, I use my Clarity as a relatively local commuter car. But need to drive between Dallas and Austin, approx. 200 miles. Anyone gone that far in hybrid mode? I know I can always stop for more gas, but I don't even know what my MPG will be at 75 mph. Thanks,
That was my exact first trip, but it was in early June of last year, so pretty mild temperatures. I didn't start with a full tank as we had driven around in Dallas a bit before heading down. I achieved about 57 mpg with the air conditioner running. I had to fill up as soon as I arrived, but made it to the outskirts of Austin from Grapevine.

When I drove back and forth to San Antonio, I was getting about 61 mpg but that was more stop and go.

These were both actual mpg, not what the car reported. I also started with a near full battery for both trips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 Touring and have driven it several times from Portland OR to Spokane WA (353 miles). As I am leaving my driveway I engage HV mode and hop on the freeway. In my several trips I recall getting around 55-60mpg while driving between 70 - 75mph. I need to make one stop along the way for fuel.

While on the freeway the engine (ICE) is not that noticeable. Car performs well with more than adequate acceleration. The only complaint I have is once you stop (say for gas, snacks or bathroom break) you need to remember to engage HV mode before jumping back on the freeway. If you don't you will quickly drain your high voltage battery and then your ICE will need to work harder to keep a charge in the high voltage battery (ask me how I know).

Overall, this is a great highway car. Comfortable with great fuel mileage. Don't hesitate to take this car anywhere!

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
The only complaint I have is once you stop (say for gas, snacks or bathroom break) you need to remember to engage HV mode before jumping back on the freeway. If you don't you will quickly drain your high voltage battery and then your ICE will need to work harder to keep a charge in the high voltage battery (ask me how I know).
Someone said whenever they stop during a trip they put a sticky note over the D button that says "HV". I may try that, although I think I'll just set something on it like a piece of paper or sunglass case, hopefully that will be enough to remind me to switch to HV when I start the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On longer trips, I prefer to use HV Charge mode. When the 15 to 20 miles of EV is included HV Charge has a very similar gas mileage to HV. I think it is slightly better. Always turn on either HV option with at least 5 miles of EV remaining to allow for warmup in the ICE. Plan ahead for off interstate driving and have the battery charged. I just completed a 4300 mile trip to Arizona and back to Illinois. When going in to long, steep mountain climbs, try to have at least 10 miles of EV range to buffer the ICE on the climb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can drive the Clarity as you would any car! If you plan a long trip, fill the gas tank. If you have time, give the car a full charge. Put the car in HV mode (it keeps a good charge on the big battery). And go. Remember if you stop to get coffee/take a break, to put the car back in HV mode. (It always defaults to HV off.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2020 Touring and have driven it several times from Portland OR to Spokane WA (353 miles). As I am leaving my driveway I engage HV mode and hop on the freeway. In my several trips I recall getting around 55-60mpg while driving between 70 - 75mph. I need to make one stop along the way for fuel.

While on the freeway the engine (ICE) is not that noticeable. Car performs well with more than adequate acceleration. The only complaint I have is once you stop (say for gas, snacks or bathroom break) you need to remember to engage HV mode before jumping back on the freeway. If you don't you will quickly drain your high voltage battery and then your ICE will need to work harder to keep a charge in the high voltage battery (ask me how I know).

Overall, this is a great highway car. Comfortable with great fuel mileage. Don't hesitate to take this car anywhere!
Same here, from PDX to Seattle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts