Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have over a year left on my Clarity Electric lease. It is a fantastic vehicle and it would be great to keep it beyond the 3-year lease term.

Honda Fit EV owners have reported elsewhere that they were able to continue on the original lease terms for another 24 months when their original 36-month lease ended. Hopefully Clarity Electric owners will have the same option.

With the earliest owners reaching the end of their 36-month lease, has anyone talked with Honda about extending their lease? Please post about your experience and what the terms are of the offered extension, if any.

·
Registered
661 Posts
You may want to look at the VW ID.4 instead. Honda appears to view the Clarity as a compliance & technology car only. Since you have a year left VW may have the ID.4 available when your lease ends.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think due to the pandemic the last 6 months, most car manufacturers have offered to extend leases because a lot people are not keen on having a test drive of a new car with a stranger sales person....
If OP's lease were ending today I suspect you're right. However, OP said his lease ends in a year.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Honda offered lease extensions (at a reduced price) on the Fit EV. I suspect they will do the same with the Clarity Electric. Both are (were) lease only with no option to purchase. Keeping them on the road a couple more years costs them almost nothing, but brings in revenue.

I've got about a year left as well, and will be looking at options next spring.

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
Honda offered lease extensions (at a reduced price) on the Fit EV. I suspect they will do the same with the Clarity Electric. Both are (were) lease only with no option to purchase. Keeping them on the road a couple more years costs them almost nothing, but brings in revenue.

I've got about a year left as well, and will be looking at options next spring.
Even if they don't reduce the price it seems like the BEV lease was a pretty good deal already and probably worth extending. Even more so if they reduce it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Greetings,

My 2018 Clarity Electric lease will expire in Jan. 2022. I heard that Honda might/will allow me to extend it. If so, what happens to the 3 yr/36K mile warranty?

Thanks,

GHTech
Honda will allow you to extend it at the same $199/mo. They are not providing any additional warranty.

Ours expires in October. Looking hard at the Ioniq EV as they periodically run some great lease deals (as low as $39/mo with $2K drive off that included plates, registration and all taxes/fees). Kona EV leases are also less than the Clarity (SEL is $99/mo with $2K drive off)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda will allow you to extend it at the same $199/mo. They are not providing any additional warranty.

Ours expires in October. Looking hard at the Ioniq EV as they periodically run some great lease deals (as low as $39/mo with $2K drive off that included plates, registration and all taxes/fees). Kona EV leases are also less than the Clarity (SEL is $99/mo with $2K drive off)
Thanks DucRider for the info. Will look at one of those as I rather not have a car without a warranty for another year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 3-yr lease ended December 2020. I had called up Honda 2 months before lease end to ask for an extension and they gave me a non-binding 1-year lease extension at $199/ month. Although the new lease ends 12-2021, I can terminate at any time.

I do plan to extend my lease as long as Honda will allow me. It's fun knowing I'm driving a rare vehicle as more people return their BEVs at lease end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just extended my Clarity Electric for another 12 months again. According to HFS, this will be the last time I am able to extend my lease. HFS allows only two 12-month lease extensions per vehicle. My current lease terms and mileage stay the same and I can cancel my extended lease anytime without penalty since I've already fulfilled the initial 3-year contract.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I still have over a year left on my Clarity Electric lease. It is a fantastic vehicle and it would be great to keep it beyond the 3-year lease term.

Honda Fit EV owners have reported elsewhere that they were able to continue on the original lease terms for another 24 months when their original 36-month lease ended. Hopefully Clarity Electric owners will have the same option.

With the earliest owners reaching the end of their 36-month lease, has anyone talked with Honda about extending their lease? Please post about your experience and what the terms are of the offered extension, if any.
Yes Honda Financial will extend the lease by 12 months, Great deal, then buy it out!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes Honda Financial will extend the lease by 12 months, Great deal, then buy it out!
You can select up to 24 months as your extension. No reason not to as you can turn it in at any time with no penalty (during the extension).
We extended in October, but will likely turn it in this month as it is being replaced by a Polestar 2.

As stated above, you can't ever purchase the vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.