Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if any thing has changed or I just noticed but my 2018 has what you would call idling too fast in an ICE. When you take your foot off the brake the car starts to move even uphill. A couple of times I was stopping and my foot must have been on the brake and a little on the accelerator. When I raised my foot up high to move more securely on the brake, the car really accelerated. Is this something that can be adjusted?

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
359 Posts
I don't know if any thing has changed or I just noticed but my 2018 has what you would call idling too fast in an ICE. When you take your foot off the brake the car starts to move even uphill. A couple of times I was stopping and my foot must have been on the brake and a little on the accelerator. When I raised my foot up high to move more securely on the brake, the car really accelerated. Is this something that can be adjusted?
Hmmm. This sounds interesting. Has it only happened when you were resting with one foot on the brake and one foot on the accelerator? My first guess is that because of that unusual situation the car temporarily ‘recalibrated’ something that had to do with the accelerator pedal. Or it could be that when you press on the brake at all, it effectively cancels out anything that the accelerator pedal is calling for. As soon as you lift off the brake the accelerator pedal position instantly takes over. It could come a little unexpected because you’re used to the way an ICE car works.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I only began really paying attention when those 2 occasions where I think I was touching both pedals and when it accelerated pretty fast when I took the foot off both pedals suddenly until I could move the foot and brake hard. Then I noticed that it behaved routinely like a fast idle on an ICE and started up fairly quickly with no foot on the accelerator.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Why do you have your foot on both pedals? This is causing the car to think you want to start moving quickly once you let off the brake.

Reactions: michael.gwynn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not intentional. I don't remember doing this with previous cars or if I did by accident nothing untoward would happen when I shifted my foot more onto the brake pedal. Are the two pedals closer to each other than most cars? Is it normal for all Claritys to move forward when at a full stop you remove your foot from the brake and foot not on the accelerator?

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
598 Posts
Not intentional. I don't remember doing this with previous cars or if I did by accident nothing untoward would happen when I shifted my foot more onto the brake pedal. Are the two pedals closer to each other than most cars? Is it normal for all Claritys to move forward when at a full stop you remove your foot from the brake and foot not on the accelerator?
I don't know about all Claritys, but IIRC, a designers was quoted as saying that one of their goals was to make the driving experience as similar to an ICE vehicle as possible. ICE vehicles with automatic transmissions (the vast majority) will creep forward from a stop when the driver removes their foot from the brake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hasn’t happenrd to me. I have a 2021

·
Registered
632 Posts
I don't know about all Claritys, but IIRC, a designers was quoted as saying that one of their goals was to make the driving experience as similar to an ICE vehicle as possible. ICE vehicles with automatic transmissions (the vast majority) will creep forward from a stop when the driver removes their foot from the brake.
This is actually part of the genius in the Clarity. It drives just like any other Honda sedan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.