Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about to order a 2021 Crimson Clarity Touring for my wife’s daily driver. About the only thing I was thinking of adding was a set of mud flaps. We a Chevy Bolt EV Premier and REALLY like the idea of my wife driving on battery only for her daily commute. The Bolts have really taught us how inexpensive EV driving can be.

Dayle

·
Super Moderator
489 Posts
Great choice for a much larger car that can run up to 47 miles per charge!

Yes, mud flaps are available as a dealer installed option or from the parts dept if you want to DIY.

You will love the PHEV as a daily driver - we commute work and back without a drop of fuel.
But when we want to take a long distance trip, we are not bound to just battery only - 7 gallon fuel tanks goes over 400 miles in range!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could I ask how long the dealer said it would take for you to receive your Clarity? I'm thinking about ordering one but if its a month long wait it would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great choice for a much larger car that can run up to 47 miles per charge!

Yes, mud flaps are available as a dealer installed option or from the parts dept if you want to DIY.

You will love the PHEV as a daily driver - we commute work and back without a drop of fuel.
But when we want to take a long distance trip, we are not bound to just battery only - 7 gallon fuel tanks goes over 400 miles in range!
Do you really get 400 mi on ICE only with 7 gallons?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was supposed to be delivered to our dealership by mid June. Today I was informed that there is a 30 day quarantine on the vehicles when they hit the west coast facility. Only after this delay will it be loaded on a train to head to MI. This really cheesed me.

The sales weasel was unable to give me ANY details about why he only found out about it today, what is the rationale, etc. Has anyone heard of this policy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could I ask how long the dealer said it would take for you to receive your Clarity? I'm thinking about ordering one but if its a month long wait it would be a deal breaker for me.
I apologize for not responding…..but we were told late May/early June…..then that slid back to mid June. Now were told mid July due to the above mentioned quarantine period.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Today I was informed that there is a 30 day quarantine on the vehicles when they hit the west coast facility. Only after this delay will it be loaded on a train to head to MI. This really cheesed me.

The sales weasel was unable to give me ANY details about why he only found out about it today, what is the rationale, etc. Has anyone heard of this policy?
That is complete BS. Ask for some sort of documentation or US regulation and he won't be able to produce anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just called Honda Customer Service…..they rep there told me that “special order” cars can fall into this category on occasion. Honda is not holding all of their units when they hit the CA docks and Clarities in general are not being held up. The rep told me that using the word “quarantine” by the sales guy in MI was probably not accurate or helpful in the middle of a pandemic.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I just called Honda Customer Service…..they rep there told me that “special order” cars can fall into this category on occasion. Honda is not holding all of their units when they hit the CA docks and Clarities in general are not being held up. The rep told me that using the word “quarantine” by the sales guy in MI was probably not accurate or helpful in the middle of a pandemic.
This is just a theory, but there is the possibility that Honda gives first shot to California dealers for thirty days or some similar period. Keeping in mind that Honda benefits if a Clarity is sold in California due to CARB credits. In that case if it's claimed by a California dealer, then the ordering dealer would have to wait for another one. If my theory is correct then this could explain why it seems to take several months for Clarities ordered outside of California to arrive, and why estimated arrival dates are usually never given until the car is about one week out from what I have heard. Although your dealer has been giving you estimates, but then again the estimate changed due to a mysterious unexplained 30 day holding period. Interesting that Honda customer service did not deny that there was a hold in California, only that the word "quarantine" was not accurate. And we can also question how much the phone support person that you were talking to actually knows what is going on with the Clarity.

One reason I suspect that it is possibly being held to allow California dealers to have first grabs, is because of an interesting situation that happened a couple of years ago. Now anyone who is not interested in long stories feel free to move on to the next post. However if you are like me and find Honda's Clarity sales strategy a fascinating and ever-changing puzzle, then you may like this.

2019 was a pretty bizarre year for the Clarity. Whereas the prior rollout year 2018 saw Clarities being shipped nationwide, when the 2019 model began production in December 2018 it was only shipped to California and east coast ZEV states, maybe Oregon also. There was no public mention of this by Honda, it just became apparent as we entered 2019 that these were the only states getting the 2019 model.

Then sometime approx. February 2019 Honda stopped shipments of Clarity even to the ZEV states and for the rest of the year they only shipped Clarity to California. Again this was not announced by Honda and it took until mid-summer for it to become apparent that this was happening. In August 2019 when Honda was questioned about this by an EV website, the Honda spokesperson admitted that while Clarity inventory was currently being "prioritized" for California, they said that it could still be ordered in all fifty states. However this flew in the face of what people outside of California were experiencing, which is that any dealer that they went to either said that Clarity could not be ordered, or simply refused to order one. This situation remained for the entirety of 2019, then in 2020 things relaxed a bit, as Honda (perhaps having some overstock) started to randomly send a few Clarities to non-ZEV states, and also people started to report that some dealers were willing to order one, although as mentioned it usually takes many months to get the car. This situation seems to have continued into 2021.

But back to the bizarre situation with Clarity in 2019. There was only one instance that I heard of in 2019 where someone outside of California was able to find a dealer who was willing order a Clarity. Coincidentally it was also someone in Michigan. In March 2019 they ordered a Crimson Pearl Base from Germain Honda in Ann Arbor. However after three months it had still not arrived, and the dealer's inquiries to Honda came back mostly blank, Honda only confirming that it was still on order but giving no estimate when it would be delivered. So the customer cancelled the order in June and wound up buying an identical car that they found in I think New York.

Then in August 2019 Germain Honda listed a Crimson Pearl Base on their website. This resulted in a lot of discussion on the Clarity forums because it was the only known 2019 that had been seen for sale that year in a non-ZEV state. Someone called Germain to inquire about it and was told that the car was on the way but they did not have it yet. Clearly this had to be the car that Germain ordered back in March for the now-cancelled customer order. It arrived at Germain Honda the next month in early September 2019 and they posted photos of it on their website. It then took about a month for them to sell it. Or we assume that they sold it, all we know is that after about a month it disappeared from the Germain website, so it could have wound up going to a different dealership.

Based on the VIN number it could be determined that the Crimson Pearl Base that arrived at Germain Honda was built in May 2019. But this creates a bit of a mystery. It was ordered by Germain Honda in March 2019, it was built in Japan in May 2019, but it didn't arrive at Germain Honda until early September 2019. We don't know the exact build date, or the exact day that it arrived at the dealer, but it would have been somewhere between three and four months between build and delivery. So where did it spend those 3-4 months? Even counting processing on each end, shipping a car from Japan to Michigan certainly doesn't take that long, so the car sat somewhere, and I doubt if it was sitting in Japan, more likely California. According to the photos that Germain put on their website the car had three miles on the odometer, so it was not used as a demo somewhere before they received it. So where did it spend that time? Maybe sitting on a dealer lot in California, with the dealer able to try and sell the car during the limited time period allowed to them. Then when the "quarantine" ended and the California dealer hadn't sold the car, it was then put on a truck for Michigan to fulfil the order.

All guesses on my part about the murky inner world of car sales. I just think it's interesting that there are now two unexplained, somewhat similar situations that I know of with a mysterious "holding period" on a Clarity order.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts