Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2018 Clarity PHEV base with about 43k miles. Am the first owner since May 2018 when I initially took it as a lease and upon end of the 3 year term I bought out the lease last year.

I started having issues with the A/C back in Feb/Mar 2022 where A/C wasn't blowing cold air, took it into the same dealership that I got the car from, they looked into it, said it was an issue with the condenser, but that since there was a known service bulletin out for it, fixed it at no cost. Great.

6 months later same issue is back. I thought it was just bc it's been so damn hot in LA last few weeks. This time they came back and said it's not the condenser but the evaporator, and it's leaking refrigerant. Because this is behind the dash, it's a fairly labor intensive process apparently, taking about 10 hours of work and the part itself could cost $500. The shop quoted $2500 to fix. I balked. They told me to call Honda America and see if they can split the cost since A/C issues are known with the 2018 Clarity PHEV. I called the number yesterday and have a case number but have not heard back yet.

Even if they were to do a 70/30 split on the repair, this seems like an insane issue to have, given the car is less than 5 years old, and I haven't even put 50k miles on it. Is there any other path I should explore to fix this? I've only ever taken it to the same dealership for maintenance and such because it's a plug-in and didn't want to take risks taking it to an independent shop that may or may not know how to deal a relatively new model like a Clarity that may have it's own quirks. I've been taking it in to do regular maintenance which is still only like 2 times a year because it's a plug-in so requires less maintenance (also not having to drive as much thanks to COVID and WFH 2 days a week) but it's not like I've neglected servicing the car.

Any help is appreciated!

[UPDATE] Called Honda America as recommended by my service agent, they looked into my file, being that I was the first and only owner, relatively new car, low mileage and that I serviced my car often at the same dealership I bought it from, they extended a goodwill between them and the dealership and gave me an offer that my portion of the repair cost will be $650. Dealership reviewed the decision and knocked it down further to $695. I took the car back in a day back and they were able to get it repaired and A/C is working now.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Isn't there an extended Honda warranty on this part?

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
296 Posts
AC work is something I can't really do so much of because of the specialized equipment involved. We do have 62k mi here in an LA suburb. I know it's shunned on here but I'm pretty sure I saw a $50 or $60 R-1234yf can at AutoZone this last week....

EDIT-. I'd wait for Honda's response first and go from there...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2018 Clarity PHEV base with about 43k miles. Am the first owner since May 2018 when I initially took it as a lease and upon end of the 3 year term I bought out the lease last year.

I started having issues with the A/C back in Feb/Mar 2022 where A/C wasn't blowing cold air, took it into the same dealership that I got the car from, they looked into it, said it was an issue with the condenser, but that since there was a known service bulletin out for it, fixed it at no cost. Great.

6 months later same issue is back. I thought it was just bc it's been so damn hot in LA last few weeks. This time they came back and said it's not the condenser but the evaporator, and it's leaking refrigerant. Because this is behind the dash, it's a fairly labor intensive process apparently, taking about 10 hours of work and the part itself could cost $500. The shop quoted $2500 to fix. I balked. They told me to call Honda America and see if they can split the cost since A/C issues are known with the 2018 Clarity PHEV. I called the number yesterday and have a case number but have not heard back yet.

Even if they were to do a 70/30 split on the repair, this seems like an insane issue to have, given the car is less than 5 years old, and I haven't even put 50k miles on it. Is there any other path I should explore to fix this? I've only ever taken it to the same dealership for maintenance and such because it's a plug-in and didn't want to take risks taking it to an independent shop that may or may not know how to deal a relatively new model like a Clarity that may have it's own quirks. I've been taking it in to do regular maintenance which is still only like 2 times a year because it's a plug-in so requires less maintenance (also not having to drive as much thanks to COVID and WFH 2 days a week) but it's not like I've neglected servicing the car.

Any help is appreciated!
The DEALER should be taking the case to Honda for you. ESPECIALLY since you bought the car from there and have had it serviced regularly there. Really.
Here's how it works in the real world: American Honda Corp has what I refer to as "Parts and Service District Managers" that call on dealerships. Part of their job is to sell Honda parts and accessories to dealerships. The "smart" Parts and Service Director (employee of the dealership) will make a strong effort to participate in the sales programs from the DM. "Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" type of thing...then when the dealership needs a favor (extend a warranty, get co-op participation from American Honda, then the Director (or manager...the dealership employee) calls his DM and says "I need for you to cover this"....and they will. But the dealership employee/manager needs to be participative with his DM when the DM has a sales campaign...
Get it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
[UPDATE] Called Honda America as recommended by my service agent, they looked into my file, being that I was the first and only owner, relatively new car, low mileage and that I serviced my car often at the same dealership I bought it from, they extended a goodwill between them and the dealership and gave me an offer that my portion of the repair cost will be $750. Dealership reviewed the decision and knocked it down further to $695. I took the car back in a day back and they were able to get it repaired and A/C is working now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
[UPDATE] Called Honda America as recommended by my service agent, they looked into my file, being that I was the first and only owner, relatively new car, low mileage and that I serviced my car often at the same dealership I bought it from, they extended a goodwill between them and the dealership and gave me an offer that my portion of the repair cost will be $650. Dealership reviewed the decision and knocked it down further to $695. I took the car back in a day back and they were able to get it repaired and A/C is working now.
Thanks, GTG007....but please clarify (!) the $650 "down" to $695. Are those figures reversed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, GTG007....but please clarify (!) the $650 "down" to $695. Are those figures reversed?
So sorry, fat fingered the initial offer (I corrected my post after your comment), which was for 750 and the dealership revised that down to 695. Together with the 190 I had to fork out for the initial assessment for diagnosis, the total out of pocket came out to 695+190 = 885.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts