Honda Clarity Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got into a 2018 CPO Clarity w/ 36k miles about 2 weeks ago. The car is great, very roomy and the build quality is much nicer than my previous GM EV. That being said, there have been some range issues that might be just quirks that I'm not familiar w/ in this Honda platform and hopefully I can get some help from fellow owners. I am very familiar w/ how weather, driving habits, speed etc affect EV's so I'm hoping it's just Honda quirks I'm running into.

In the first 2 weeks I've had the car, the first few days I had it in HV mode since the dealer we got it from was 90 miles away, I didn't get to fully charge it till about 2 days later. Charged off the level one charger fully to around 39 miles temps in my area have been hovering around 68-75 degrees since I've owned the car(gotta love socal weather). I brushed off the low range to me driving it at high speeds the previous 2 days(70-80mph in HV mode on our drive home from dealer) and possibly other people test driving it w/ a lead foot. I know it can take the computer a while to re-calibrate to my driving style. I ran that charge all the way to empty which is the last 2 bars and I got 38 total miles till the motor came on which was a bit disappointing considering I drive the car rather conservatively and I rarely run climate control as my daily commute is only around 16 miles, but like I said, I'm letting the computer figure it all out. I've charged it several times after that on the level one, but never to full so I didn't want to count those trips.

The first charging issue I ran into was at and EV-Go charger right next to my gym, I hooked up, went into the gym for around 2 hours and noticed that the charging light was off so I assumed the car finished charging. Nope, it only charged up to 3/4 full and even though I was in the gym for over 120 mins, the EV-go App says it only charged for a total of 108 mins. Since I was having issues connecting to the Honda Link app, I had no way of knowing the car stopped charging. I had no time to figure out the issue since I had dinner reservations after so I just noted the issue and moved on.

Yesterday at another gym, there are free level 2 chargers by the restaurants next to my gym and I snagged one up, I arrived w/ around 7 miles of range left. Plugged it in, went into the gym for my normal 120 mins + session, was tracking the charging the entire time through the Hondalink app as I was able to figure out how to sync the app to my car which was a pain to trouble shoot(essentially unpaired my Bluetooth, removed device, and reconnected my device fixed the issue). I noticed that the app said it was fully charged at 37 miles around the 1.5 hour mark which I thought was strange since documents stated this car takes around 2.5 hours charging from a level 2 from empty. Since I had a little bit of charge left, I assumed it would be done around 2 hours. As a responsible PHEV owner, I went to the car to unplug it and move it so other people can use the charger(I wish more people practiced proper EV etiquette). I have the energy flow always on in the infotainment screen and noticed something odd. Although the instrument cluster stated battery was full since it was all the way to the top, the energy bar on the infotainment was about 3/4 full w/ a bit more to go. I was expecting about 45 miles on this charge since the weather has been in the 75-80 range in the last few days and I drive the car on ECO to avoid running the engine and my speeds never exceed 50mph(lots of speed traps in my area).

So is something wrong w/ my car? Why does the energy graph only go 3/4 full when the range indicator shows full? Is it a degradation meter like they have in the Nissan Leaf's where the bar goes down as the batteries degradate? Is 37 miles in my weather and gentle driving habits normal and if so, that is highly disappointing. Had the selling dealer check for software updates before I bought the car and he showed me a pic of the shop's computer saying no software updates were available so I'm assuming it was updated during the CPO process.

Admittedly this would be diappointing, I wonder if it is just some type of electronic "reboot" that you have to do. We have only 13,000 miles on ours, but we never get less that 50 electeic miles - right now it is showing it is fully charged and ready for 53.....but we are on flat Everglades terrrain in Florida. Try to get that HondaLink Ap working.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my 2018 Clarity Touring with 36,000 miles at a dealer 90 miles away. With no battery charge I drove it home and plugged it in. The next morning it showed 37 miles of EV available. The next several days of driving around on EV that number rose steadily to about 45 miles, where it stayed for several weeks. I plug it in nightly (Level 1 charge) regardless of the number of miles I drive. Now it seems to be down into the high 30s or low 40s again. I assume that it's adjusting to how I drive here in Dallas Fort Worth, the hot weather, etc. I plan to get the battery capacity checked but I'm confident that there is nothing wrong. I absolutely have loved the car in the 6 months I've owned it.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
With average temps dropping for winter, range on all EVs drops some, this time of year. For example, depending on the severity of winter weather, some Bolt owners in the northeast see a 40% range loss when the overnight temps drop to the teens (F). Even in the quite temperate climate here in coastal So. CA, I typically see ~10% range loss in winter. This has been the case for our '17 and '21 Bolts, '11 Volt, and '11 Leaf. It wasn't quite as bad for our '01 RAV4-EV (NiMH), '01 Ranger-EV (PbA), '99 EV-1 (NiMH), or '97 EV-1 (PbA). It appears to be mostly a problem with Lithium chemistries, and I'm already noticing a slight drop in the Clarity PHEV's EV range. Temps have dropped to the mid-40s (F) at night around here lately, which is at least 5 degrees cooler than an average winter overnight.

This factor is something that needs to be clearly described to potential EV buyers, especially in areas that see significant temperature swings with the seasons. Based on questions from new drivers, here and on other EV fora, it's clearly not being disclosed by dealers. A lot of due-diligence needs to take place before buying an EV. Unfortunately, I see a lot of evidence that many more recent EV buyers are doing so because EVs are the "next big thing", with status and "keeping up with the Jones's" taking a priority over being an educated consumer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Live in SoCaL also. My commute is 33 miles. It is mostly freeway with a little traffic. Driving home at 2am I set cruise between 75 and 80mph. My estimated range with full charge is 40 miles everytime. I have a OBD reader and my battery sits at 48 amp hours (new it is closer to 55) so I have about 15% battery degradation after 36K miles the car is a 2018. In my opinion freeway miles effect range more than anything else.
While getting the software update get honda to check capacity of the battery or do a search for an inexpensive OBD reader.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
I guess that makes us both EV Nerds!🤣
There certainly are a lot of us out here.

I bought mine about ten years ago, when Costco put them on sale for $250. (We had bought a 2011 Volt, and a 2011 Leaf.) After previously paying $5k for a spare TAL inductive charger for our 2001 RAV4-EV, I understood that $250 for a "charger" was a killer deal.

I bought three.

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
325 Posts
There certainly are a lot of us out here.

I bought mine about ten years ago, when Costco put them on sale for $250. (We had bought a 2011 Volt, and a 2011 Leaf.) After previously paying $5k for a spare TAL inductive charger for our 2001 RAV4-EV, I understood that $250 for a "charger" was a killer deal.

I bought three.
I actually have three also! The extra one is sitting on the bench not being used now. Being an electronics tinkerer, two of the three were bought “as is” with problems. Turns out they were super easy to fix. All three were bought secondhand from eBay.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
I actually have three also! The extra one is sitting on the bench n’y being used now. Being an electronics tinkerer, two of the three were bought “as is” with problems. Turns out they were super easy to fix. All three were bought secondhand from eBay.
Heh, heh. I've got a new one, still in a sealed box.

I've also got an Aerovironment one that's currently NFG, that we got with the Leaf. I'm planning to install new guts from a kit EVSE, that will get me a cheap one for my kids house. They're living with a Clarity OEM EVSE at 240V for their 2011 Volt. It's marginally meeting their needs.

I'm still trying to get the third one installed at a restaurant I'm partners on. My partner has no interest in spending half of ~$10k to have it installed and secured, and I don't particularly want to do it all on my own. (It could set a bad precedent for the partnership.)

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
325 Posts
Heh, heh. I've got a new one, still in a sealed box.

I've also got an Aerovironment one that's currently NFG, that we got with the Leaf. I'm planning to install new guts from a kit EVSE, that will get me a cheap one for my kids house. They're living with a Clarity OEM EVSE at 240V for their 2011 Volt. It's marginally meeting their needs.

I'm still trying to get the third one installed at a restaurant I'm partners on. My partner has no interest in spending half of ~$10k to have it installed and secured, and I don't particularly want to do it all on my own. (It could set a bad precedent for the partnership.)
If you had it installed at the restaurant would it be a “pay for” or a free unit? If free, it would be a good draw for the restaurant.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
If you had it installed at the restaurant would it be a “pay for” or a free unit? If free, it would be a good draw for the restaurant.
I suggested it as free, but managing it is the issue. There's a whole sub-group of EV drivers out there that consider it a "quest" to find free charging, and take advantage of it at the expense of actual paying customers at the business. It's not uncommon to see EVs parked at these stalls all day or over night. Limiting it to customers only would be a logistical challenge, to say the least.

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
325 Posts
I suggested it as free, but managing it is the issue. There's a whole sub-group of EV drivers out there that consider it a "quest" to find free charging, and take advantage of it at the expense of actual paying customers at the business. It's not uncommon to see EVs parked at these stalls all day or over night. Limiting it to customers only would be a logistical challenge, to say the least.
Yeah, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a Tesla parked at the free Hy-Vee EVSE for hours on end. I guess you could design some sort of timer that charges for one or two hours max then shuts off.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
Yeah, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a Tesla parked at the free Hy-Vee EVSE for hours on end. I guess you could design some sort of timer that charges for one or two hours max then shuts off.
They'd still park there for hours on end, just for the two hour charge, then occupy the spot, depriving others of a charge. We've toyed with the idea of a locked box, with the key at the host/hostess kiosk, available for a trade for a drivers license and credit card, but that adds a burden to the host/hostess to manage it. It's a conundrum.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts