Honda Clarity Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We remodelled our house and set up 240V/50 AMP Charging point. We would like to use this to charge our 2018 Honda Clarity which is rated for 32 AMP.
What are the things that we need to buy? I assume I need to buy something like The AmazingE® FAST 32 Amp
Do I also need to buy anything else to handle 50 AMP to 32 AMP?
Thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
We remodelled our house and set up 240V/50 AMP Charging point. We would like to use this to charge our 2018 Honda Clarity which is rated for 32 AMP.
What are the things that we need to buy? I assume I need to buy something like The AmazingE® FAST 32 Amp
Do I also need to buy anything else to handle 50 AMP to 32 AMP?
Thanks!
That's all you need. It's known as an EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment), and is commonly referred to as a charger, even though technically the charger is inside the car, the EVSE merely manages the supply of AC power to the car. If you get an EVSE rated at 32 Amp then that is how much power it will deliver to the car even if you are plugging into a 50 Amp circuit. Just need to make sure that the plug on the EVSE matches your outlet. The one that you linked to has a 14-50 plug which is pretty much the standard for 50 Amp circuits, I assume that is the type of outlet that you have.

NEMA 14-50.png

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's all you need. It's known as an EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment), and is commonly referred to as a charger, even though technically the charger is inside the car, the EVSE merely manages the supply of AC power to the car. If you get an EVSE rated at 32 Amp then that is how much power it will deliver to the car even if you are plugging into a 50 Amp circuit. Just need to make sure that the plug on the EVSE matches your outlet. The one that you linked to has a 14-50 plug which is pretty much the standard for 50 Amp circuits, I assume that is the type of outlet that you have.

View attachment 676
You can connect an EVSE that will draw up to 40A on a 50A circuit. The OP did not specify whether an outlet was installed (NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 are both possibilities) or whether wires were pulled to accommodate hardwiring an EVSE (or installing an outlet to match the plug on the EVSE).

The vehicle and the EVSE will negotiate a charge rate that is within the limits of both. The EVSE "advertises" the amperage it can provide. If it is less than the charger in the car can handle, the car will reduce it's charge rate accordingly. If it is at or above the max the car can take, the car will then charge at the fastest possible rate.

As examples, if you had an EVSE capable of 16A, the Clarity would see that and limit it's charging accordingly. If you had an EVSE that could provide 80A, the Clarity would draw it's max 32A.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very much appreciate the responses. We installed NEMA 14-50R, the outlet is exactly like what Gary posted.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You can connect an EVSE that will draw up to 40A on a 50A circuit. The OP did not specify whether an outlet was installed (NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 are both possibilities) or whether wires were pulled to accommodate hardwiring an EVSE (or installing an outlet to match the plug on the EVSE).

The vehicle and the EVSE will negotiate a charge rate that is within the limits of both. The EVSE "advertises" the amperage it can provide. If it is less than the charger in the car can handle, the car will reduce it's charge rate accordingly. If it is at or above the max the car can take, the car will then charge at the fastest possible rate.

As examples, if you had an EVSE capable of 16A, the Clarity would see that and limit it's charging accordingly. If you had an EVSE that could provide 80A, the Clarity would draw it's max 32A.
I assumed that "remodeled our house and set up 240V/50 AMP Charging point" most likely referred to installing an outlet, as I don't think very many people would use that terminology to describe just running bare wire. Not that some people wouldn't just run bare wire in a remodel, but it seems less likely that they would refer to bare wire terminating in a junction box as a charging point. And I guessed on 14-50 since that's the type of plug used by the EVSE that they linked to, and also 14-50 seems to be the most common choice for 50 Amp circuits since it's more versatile as it can easily be converted to 6-50 if needed. Whereas converting 6-50 to 14-50 requires running new cable, unless during the 6-50 installation they had proactively run 4-wire cable and capped off the neutral wire. But I would think that most people using 4-wire cable will probably install a 14-50 outlet unless they had a specific reason to install a 6-50 outlet. But certainly predicting what people mean by their words is not an exact science, which is why I posted a picture of a 14-50 outlet as an easy way to find out if my assumptions were correct, which as it turns out they were.

Strictly from a "Clarity" point of view purchasing a 40A EVSE instead of 32A is an unnecessary additional expense since Clarity will not use the additional capability. But it would certainly be nice to have if they later got an EV, so that would be something to think about when deciding on an EVSE for the Clarity.

Of course the same could be said that installing a 50 Amp circuit is an unnecessary expense for a Clarity since a 40 Amp circuit will provide the maximum capability, however I think when installing wiring in a remodel it definitely makes sense to pay a little extra for future proofing. Upgrading a portable EVSE is very easy to do, and not even that expensive if you are able to sell the previous EVSE. But upgrading an existing circuit can in many cases be very expensive, compared to a relatively small extra expense during the original installation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts