Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote a long post but like my college teacher taught me.. keep it short and interesting like a woman's skirt.. (sorry terrible I know..) so.. way short version here!

ANYWAY.. I am from Salt Lake City and I've been lurking - and now getting serious about getting a preferably red or maybe white '21 touring Clarity (debating big time on color choice!! UGH love the darker red color.. but the car washes!! BLAH) o_O:rolleyes::(:unsure:. I looked at one used branded title 2018 Clarity in person and didn't have time to test drive it.. hopefully Monday I will. I feel bad because I have zero intention of buying it... but if it sells before I get to it I'll test drive a Honda Accord Hybrid.. I heard it's the same powertrain and dimensions basically.. anyway long story short I'm interested in the Clarity or the Prius Prime but I'm really on board with the Clarity. Looks/range the whole bit it's perfect for me since I don't drive very much but I liked it very much very roomy and comfortable and I love the look! shrugs (I don't get the hate..buuut... I am.. slightly worried about winter but I do plan on winter tires..and pray the winter storms stay light..)

I contacted local Honda dealers here and they generally all would not help me special order and tried to sell me a CRV or Insight instead - I contacted Honda USA customer service asking who I can go to here in Utah and they pointed me right back to the dealer who.. wouldn't help.. :rolleyes:

Anyway my question... is there going to be a 2022 model? Is there any information on a 2022 model? Any confirmation? Fall isn't that far away..

When does that information typically come out? Here we are near May and I've been watching for news and I haven't seen much news... I looked up the sales numbers for the Clarity and they are BAD.. typically most Toyota models get a new model around the 7 year mark which is right now.... and the Clarity hasn't been out that long.. I'm just worried if I hold and wait Honda will either stop production of the current model... ORRRR... the new model is just around the corner... *with a volume nob probably.... I'm also thinking of taking a trip to Oregon or California and see if someone has a red touring Clarity or special order one so I don't buy one that's been cooking the battery's on a parking lot so Oregon honda dealers if you're reading this... yeah look out I'm on the hunt..:devilish:.. any advice? ok thanks!! Learning lots.. battery heaters.. winter tires.. very good website. Stay safe!

·
Registered
729 Posts
We didn't get confirmation of the 2021 model until July of last year. So I think we are still a few months from finding out whether there will even be a 2022 Clarity, much less anything about it. And if there is a 2022 model there is no reason to believe that there will be any changes. The normal refresh cycles don't apply to a car that they sell only around 4,000 per year.

You can purchase a Clarity from a California dealer, they are giving massive discounts but only to California residents, but if you send some emails you should find some dealers willing to give at least some discount to an out of state buyer. You can then have the car shipped to Utah for less than $1,000, probably far less if you shop around with different shipping companies. You can also drive the car back to Utah yourself but if you take delivery in California then you pay California state and local sales tax, the amount varies depending on where the dealer is located. And your state may still charge tax in that situation, you would need to check into that. Shipping may wind up being cheaper than driving it yourself depending on how the taxes work.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
We didn't get confirmation of the 2021 model until July of last year. So I think we are still a few months from finding out whether there will even be a 2022 Clarity, much less anything about it. And if there is a 2022 model there is no reason to believe that there will be any changes. The normal refresh cycles don't apply to a car that they sell only around 4,000 per year.

You can purchase a Clarity from a California dealer, they are giving massive discounts but only to California residents, but if you send some emails you should find some dealers willing to give at least some discount to an out of state buyer. You can then have the car shipped to Utah for less than $1,000, probably far less if you shop around with different shipping companies. You can also drive the car back to Utah yourself but if you take delivery in California then you pay California state and local sales tax, the amount varies depending on where the dealer is located. And your state may still charge tax in that situation, you would need to check into that. Shipping may wind up being cheaper than driving it yourself depending on how the taxes work.
To add onto @2002 here's a post from 2020 about purchasing the Clarity from out of state:

So, you want to buy a Clarity, but you don’t live in...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey sorry slow response working this weekend :(

But wanted to thank you both 2002 and 4sallypat for the information - I guess I'm just a worry wart. One of the things I need to not stress out about. lol one of my downfalls. I know in the past when I purchase a car.. sure enough right after I buy one the next best model comes out OR... they cancel the model.. but I'll keep doing homework and hopefully we'll get information this summer soon about the 22' model. I also doubt they would invest or change much in a model that doesn't sell well and my guess is they'll keep selling it until their pure EV car comes out.. but I know the accord hybrid just got a refresh and it makes me wonder how hard it would be to just get a new bumper or.. the newer headlights...? Anyway we'll see.

Anyway I will for sure look out for that with taxes, I don't want to get hit with taxes or pay higher than I should and I did read through the post that 4sallypat posted and that was very useful information! I didn't know about receiving the car out of state which incurs those taxes so.. yikes.. I've got some homework to do to figure this out o_O what a pain.. I'm still contacting local dealers in hope that one could maybe help - but if the test drive goes well I'll start contacting a few dealers on the west coast and see what offers they might have. This whole process if I do special order will take months so I better get the ball going if I do...

Anyway thank you 💗

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(and yeah.. they sold the clarity.. found another used one I'll test drive tomorrow.. amazing these Honda dealers in Utah flat out will not special order one I don't get it..)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wrote a long post but like my college teacher taught me.. keep it short and interesting like a woman's skirt.. (sorry terrible I know..) so.. way short version here!

ANYWAY.. I am from Salt Lake City and I've been lurking - and now getting serious about getting a preferably red or maybe white '21 touring Clarity (debating big time on color choice!! UGH love the darker red color.. but the car washes!! BLAH) o_O:rolleyes::(:unsure:. I looked at one used branded title 2018 Clarity in person and didn't have time to test drive it.. hopefully Monday I will. I feel bad because I have zero intention of buying it... but if it sells before I get to it I'll test drive a Honda Accord Hybrid.. I heard it's the same powertrain and dimensions basically.. anyway long story short I'm interested in the Clarity or the Prius Prime but I'm really on board with the Clarity. Looks/range the whole bit it's perfect for me since I don't drive very much but I liked it very much very roomy and comfortable and I love the look! shrugs (I don't get the hate..buuut... I am.. slightly worried about winter but I do plan on winter tires..and pray the winter storms stay light..)

I contacted local Honda dealers here and they generally all would not help me special order and tried to sell me a CRV or Insight instead - I contacted Honda USA customer service asking who I can go to here in Utah and they pointed me right back to the dealer who.. wouldn't help.. :rolleyes:

Anyway my question... is there going to be a 2022 model? Is there any information on a 2022 model? Any confirmation? Fall isn't that far away..

When does that information typically come out? Here we are near May and I've been watching for news and I haven't seen much news... I looked up the sales numbers for the Clarity and they are BAD.. typically most Toyota models get a new model around the 7 year mark which is right now.... and the Clarity hasn't been out that long.. I'm just worried if I hold and wait Honda will either stop production of the current model... ORRRR... the new model is just around the corner... *with a volume nob probably.... I'm also thinking of taking a trip to Oregon or California and see if someone has a red touring Clarity or special order one so I don't buy one that's been cooking the battery's on a parking lot so Oregon honda dealers if you're reading this... yeah look out I'm on the hunt..:devilish:.. any advice? ok thanks!! Learning lots.. battery heaters.. winter tires.. very good website. Stay safe!

Just my own experience. The Honda clarity is super for people traveling less than 55 miles a day. I hate to use gas and i usually can get over 52 miles on electric, but then again we are as flat as Utah right here, lol. I used Auto Trader to find me a vehicle from California, used but in mint condition and a 2020 for $26,000 delivered to my door.......only 6,00 miles on it and we have a few years of the Honda warranty. . There is no comparison to any non-plug in hybrid and the Clarity is the lead car for people like me that aren't willing to risk getting stuck on a longer drive without a plug-in station available. I still need the gas back up for security, although I am still on my first tank of gas that it was delivered with last January. The Volt was the only plug-in hybrid better than the Clarity and they stopped making them. Why Honda won't publicize or market the Honda Clarity outside of California I have no idea, they obviously are satisfied with low sales. It is just a superb car for comfort and all the high tech and safety feature in the Touring model.. AS high speed plug in stations become common, then people will turn to all electric - that is the direction we are heading and the Chevy Bolt is the future and the Chevy Volt was not. As far as color, to me white gets dirty super fast and the crimson red Clarity is a beautiful color. I really wanted dark green but I bought it sight unseen of course, and it is so much darker green that the photos of the color on line, almost black, it just is not the beautiful dark green it should have been, If you are worried about too many car washes, I would go with one of their gray or Silver, and I am sure there will be a 2022 but I had no use for the $7500 tax credit so I would shop fo r a 2022. If you buy it in California and want to drive away with it, you will have to pay the California taxes, and then if you register the car in utah, you probably would have to pay California registration and sales taxes. Here in Florida they will credit the sales tax you might pay in California against their own sales tax, but there is a time limit on how long you can take without registering in Florida, afte that you would pay full sales tax regardless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just my own experience. The Honda clarity is super for people traveling less than 55 miles a day. I hate to use gas and i usually can get over 52 miles on electric, but then again we are as flat as Utah right here, lol. I used Auto Trader to find me a vehicle from California, used but in mint condition and a 2020 for $26,000 delivered to my door.......only 6,00 miles on it and we have a few years of the Honda warranty. . There is no comparison to any non-plug in hybrid and the Clarity is the lead car for people like me that aren't willing to risk getting stuck on a longer drive without a plug-in station available. I still need the gas back up for security, although I am still on my first tank of gas that it was delivered with last January. The Volt was the only plug-in hybrid better than the Clarity and they stopped making them. Why Honda won't publicize or market the Honda Clarity outside of California I have no idea, they obviously are satisfied with low sales. It is just a superb car for comfort and all the high tech and safety feature in the Touring model.. AS high speed plug in stations become common, then people will turn to all electric - that is the direction we are heading and the Chevy Bolt is the future and the Chevy Volt was not. As far as color, to me white gets dirty super fast and the crimson red Clarity is a beautiful color. I really wanted dark green but I bought it sight unseen of course, and it is so much darker green that the photos of the color on line, almost black, it just is not the beautiful dark green it should have been, If you are worried about too many car washes, I would go with one of their gray or Silver, and I am sure there will be a 2022 but I had no use for the $7500 tax credit so I would shop fo r a 2022. If you buy it in California and want to drive away with it, you will have to pay the California taxes, and then if you register the car in utah, you probably would have to pay California registration and sales taxes. Here in Florida they will credit the sales tax you might pay in California against their own sales tax, but there is a time limit on how long you can take without registering in Florida, afte that you would pay full sales tax regardless.
Thanks Larry for the info :cool: - we both have similar taste. I was hoping to get a green one but of course that's no longer available new but I do really like the red color but I've never seen it in person just on youtube and photos online but still.... I am torn right now between white and red but leaning red still (y). Just an update for everyone I did finally go on a test drive and I was really impressed with the torque and how smooth it was. That's something I wasn't used to...also turning the car on or... when I first got in the car the car salesman had already turned the car on..me being stupid turned it off I didn't realize it was on and ready to go..blew me away how quiet it was.. my first ride in a EV and that was something else. Test drove the Prius Prime...not having the android auto and the car felt quite a bit smaller... so leaning towards Clarity.

I also agree with the added security of the engine. I have family in California/Washington and if some emergency popped up and I had to make the drive from Salt Lake to Seattle or Sacramento, that would require multiple stops and multiple hours of charging just to get there. I hardly drive more than 10~20 miles a day and I probably would never take it on a long trip but there's always that possibility.. So I agree the direction everyone is heading is full blown EV. But my luck with a massive storm or power outage here I feel safer with the engine ready to go.

Anyway, thanks for the information :cool:- I've looked at 2 local cars here used around 20K~30K miles both roughly $20k and I'm still leaning towards new and using that tax credit but I'm still debating that new vs. used...sounds like you got a great deal! Trying to be patient waiting for any 2022 information.. (that's the part that sucks.. I don't see Honda putting the new accord infotainment in it or.. adding sonar sensors front and rear or something stupid.. but juuust in case.. I'm waiting and waiting for some information to drop...) but I'm getting closer (y) Anyway thank you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
i guess everyone on this forum knows by now that the Clarity has been discontinued - ie 2021 was the last model year. undecided whether this would hinder or help a 2021 resale but since i have no intentions of ever selling it makes no difference to me

·
Registered
212 Posts
i guess everyone on this forum knows by now that the Clarity has been discontinued - ie 2021 was the last model year. undecided whether this would hinder or help a 2021 resale but since i have no intentions of ever selling it makes no difference to me
Yup. Honda stopped production on the remaining models at the end of August 2021.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I bought my '21 Clarity in California they credited the CA sales tax against the UT sales tax. Since CA was higher, I only paid the registration (including the $56 PHEV fee).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts