Honda Clarity Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I need help to find out if this is normal.

I live in Southern California, and the car is garaged and charged with the 120 Volt outlet inside the garage.

I Purchased the 2019 Plug-in Hybrids Clarity back in November 2019.
At the first few months, after the battery is fully charged, (120 Volt for 12+ hours charges) the dashboard show the EV battery at about an average of 46 to 48 miles.

Then in Jan 2020, the EV battery miles on the dashboard only shown 41 to 43 after the battery is fully charged.
Lately it only show 36 - 38 EV battery miles on the dashboard after the EV battery is fully charged.

I brought my car back to the dealer on 12/11/2020, they run the diagnostic test on the EV battery, they told me nothing wrong with the EV battery.

Per the request of the Honda Dealer Services Consultant, I brought my car in again on 12/31/2020, this time without charging the EV battery, (with the EV mile indicator on the dashboard = 0)
After the dealer charged the EV battery with their 240 Volt for 2.5 hours, the dashboard only show 34.9 EV miles on the dashboard.

34.9, it is about 31% EV battery mile loss from the 48.

Do you all think I have a real issue with this? or is it a normal thing with the Clarity Plug-in Hybrids vehicle?

Please advise,

Your007

·
Registered
77 Posts
The range-o-meter is purely a guess and can’t be relied on for anything. Best just to see what your real range is and make comparisons based off of that. The range-o-meter, in essence says, you drove this way over the past few miles and you used this much energy. Based upon that information, my guess is that you will be able to drive this many miles with the charge that is left in the battery.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If they did a HV battery test, the report will show the Ah as well as individual cell data. You need more info than "nothing wrong".
The warranty is based on the Ah reading.
New is 55.1 Ah, warranty is for 67% (36.6 Ah).

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
Make sure your driving habits haven't changed.

When I was the driver the first year (2018 Base Clarity), I never turned on the climate, never turned on the seat heaters, smooth light accelerator use, paddle downshifting all the time, EV ECO model all the time and switched to HV only over 50MPH - I got 50 - 65 mile range every day even in winter (warm southern California all year).

Then when my wife used it, she only got 30-40 mile range because she: turns up the cabin heater, turns on the seat heaters, plays her BT music loud, jack rabbit starts, Sport mode, never uses paddles, fails to switch from EV to HV on freeways, etc...

So not surprised with her range at all....

·
Registered
362 Posts
What are your current morning temperatures? External temperature changes can cause up to a 20% change in the range estimate.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
How could we be married to the same woman?
Really !

My wife drives the Clarity as if it's a BMW...:plain:

We traded cars a year ago - her prior car was a BMW 528i and I had the Clarity.

She has the Clarity due to her commute being further than mine for a year now and I have seen on weekends that the range guesstimate shows around 35 miles...:surprise:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 Clarity plugin hybrid shown now about 35 mile EV range at full battery charge after 2 years, used to be ~ 48. At what point I need to go to dialer and start complaining about battery life? As far as I remember the battery warranty is 10 years or 150,000 miles. What is considered as faulty battery eligible to be replaced within the warranty?

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 2018 Clarity plugin hybrid shown now about 35 mile EV range at full battery charge after 2 years, used to be ~ 48. At what point I need to go to dialer and start complaining about battery life? As far as I remember the battery warranty is 10 years or 150,000 miles. What is considered as faulty battery eligible to be replaced within the warranty?
<67% of the original spec of 55.1 Ah

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
Definitely have the dealer run a traction battery test.

What temperatures are you living in ?

How is your driving style ?

Do you use the cabin heaters ??

I guess I am quite lucky living in warm Southern California - never lost range due to cold currently at 55 miles per charge in 85 degree weather in the middle of January!:surprise:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Definitely have the dealer run a traction battery test.
Battery "test" is something of a misnomer. The term used on the PDI sheet is to "check" the "Battery Pack Capacity". Maybe that sounds like just semantics but there is a big difference. The way it works is the car's internal diagnostic system calculates a battery pack capacity value and keeps this number stored in the computer. It's similar to emissions testing, in the old days they would put a sniffer into the tailpipe and run the car on a dynamometer to test emissions, but modern cars store this data internally which is then read through the OBDII port when you take the car in to an emissions testing facility. Although this is still commonly referred to as emissions "testing", the emissions facilities certainly know what is meant. The problem with the Clarity especially outside of California is that most dealers are clueless when they are asked to check the HV battery capacity, and most will make excuses rather than spend the time figuring out how to do it, especially if they think they have to run some type of complicated test. If they knew how easy it was maybe more of them would be more willing to check it for people who ask, which is why it helps to go in there with information.

Similar to emissions, the battery pack capacity value can be read from the OBDII port. However the standard OBDII devices that you get at the auto parts store won't read it, you need a several hundred dollar Autel unit or something similar. Dealers connect their i-HDS diagnostic computer to the OBDII port and the Battery Pack Capacity value appears on their screen among hundreds of other pieces of data. They can also print it out. I wish I knew a link to the PDI sheet that I could point people to, because it contains a screenshot showing exactly what page the Battery Pack Capacity can be found. A couple of people have shown this page to the service writer and said they had no problem getting this information. What I do have is the text of what is on the PDI sheet, I have posted it before and will post it again at the end of this message. I think at least having this text and the SB number can help when the dealer is clueless about it.

A new battery will have a battery capacity of 55 Ah. The few people that I have heard of who have gotten the dealer to check the battery pack capacity have said they got a reading very close to this. We have heard of a few people who say they have lost EV range since they originally purchased the car, but we don't know how valid that is since they are going only on the guessometer, very few people track their actual EV driving range using the odometer. And as most of us know there are many variables such as temperature, driving conditions and driving style that can affect EV range. Nevertheless a few of the reports of EV range seem legitimate, unfortunately almost none of the people who report it actually go to the dealer and have the battery capacity checked and then report back to us the results, leaving us in the dark about their situation. I do remember one person who had what sounded like a reliable story about EV range loss, and they did get the battery capacity checked and if I remember correctly it was around 48 Ah or something like that which seemed to line up with what they were reporting as range loss from one year to the next. However that is still far from being a warranty replacement because Honda will only replace the battery under warranty if the battery pack capacity drops below 36.6 Ah, which is a 33% loss of capacity.

Some people have said that their loss of EV range occurred around the second year of ownership but since then has not gotten any lower. That is however anecdotal, and again their stories are not backed up with actual battery capacity data so we really don't know if that is the case for some people or if there were other environmental or traffic factors involved.

I have only heard of one person having the HV battery replaced under warranty, but it was not for loss of capacity it was some type of fault code that was coming up and the dealer worked with Honda who told the dealer to replace the HV battery to fix it.

Service Bulletin 17-093
2018 Clarity Plug-In Hybrid: PDI and New Model Service Information
January 25, 2018

(from page 13)

Checking Battery Pack Capacity

The high-voltage lithium-ion battery in this vehicle has an 8-year or 100,000-mile warranty. But unlike earlier vehicles with high-voltage batteries, this vehicle does not set a DTC when the battery pack capacity value has reached the level for battery replacement under warranty.

To check battery pack capacity in this vehicle, you must use the i-HDS. Just go to the Electric Powertrain Data List, and look at the Battery Pack Capacity signal. If its value reads less than 36.6 Ah and the battery is still under warranty, the battery is eligible for warranty replacement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
@2002, do you by any chance have a direct link to this service bulletin?

If I do a search on Google for this: "Honda Service Bulletin 17-093" nothing comes up that appears to be directly from Honda.

Or perhaps this bulletin is not public information?

·
Registered
521 Posts
@2002, do you by any chance have a direct link to this service bulletin?

If I do a search on Google for this: "Honda Service Bulletin 17-093" nothing comes up that appears to be directly from Honda.

Or perhaps this bulletin is not public information?
No as I mentioned I wish I had a link to the PDF that I could point people to but I don't. I have a copy that I got somewhere about a year ago but I don't have the link where I got it, I think someone just uploaded it somewhere. I can't attach it because you can't upload PDF files in this forum, but I just realized I can make a screenshot of that page and attach it as an image so here it is.

It seems the data comes from something called the Battery Condition Monitor Module, which in the screenshot shows as currently being powered at 12.68 volts. It also mentions a battery heater but I think that is just for Canada.

Also at the top of the i-HDS screen it has icons for printing and saving, so it looks like it's easy for them to print what is shown on the screen, although someone said when they asked for a printout they got all of the pages, don't know if the technician didn't know how to print just one screen or maybe they figured I'll just print it all and they can get what they want off of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks 2002, at this time my range is under 30 miles after a full charge on a 2018 Clarity.

I am aware of the reduced range due to the below 32 degrees temps but it may be cause for a call to the dealer for this to be checked out.

I wonder though if it is an obligation of the dealer to actually show me a printout of this diagnostic?

This information does not appear to be something well published, to the contrary actually.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks 2002, at this time my range is under 30 miles after a full charge on a 2018 Clarity.

I am aware of the reduced range due to the below 32 degrees temps but it may be cause for a call to the dealer for this to be checked out.

I wonder though if it is an obligation of the dealer to actually show me a printout of this diagnostic?

This information does not appear to be something well published, to the contrary actually.
Some people have gotten the dealer to check the battery capacity for no charge, especially if it's at the dealer where they purchased the car, and they tell the dealer that it was supposed to be checked as part of PDI. Although that's soft of a bluff because while it is part of PDI it's not something that the dealer has to list on the PDI sheet.

Others were able to get it checked for free when they had the car in for something else. Some people say the dealer charged them for checking it. Sometimes they print it out, I heard of one case where they just wrote the number on a piece of paper and gave it to the owner. My guess is that a lot of people don't ask for a printout they just ask for it to be checked. I would think if you ask for a printout most would give it to you.

If the dealer insists on charging $100 or whatever to check the battery capacity, I would probably look for an independent Honda repair shop that has the Honda i-HDS system and see if they will check if for you. i-HDS is just a software that runs in Windows 10 which is paid for with a subscription. The shop still might charge you for checking the battery capacity but I would think the price will be more reasonable than what a dealer charges, since it really doesn't take that much effort to check it.

Note - it's too bad this discussion is under New Member Introductions because not as many people will see this information. I think I might create a new thread on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts