Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide an answer? I'd like to know if I need a special tool to recharge the freon because the ordinary adaptors do not fit. As well, where can I purchase the freon?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Can anyone provide an answer? I'd like to know if I need a special tool to recharge the freon because the ordinary adaptors do not fit. As well, where can I purchase the freon?
The fact that you are asking these questions indicates to me that you probably should not be doing this yourself.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Don't know what year your Clarity is but since at the most it is three years old any loss of freon this early on indicates a leak. Refilling the freon is expensive and only a temporary solution as it will leak out again. There is a known problem with the Clarity condenser leaking and Honda recently put out a service bulletin about it, and the good news is they have extended the warranty on the condenser to ten years. So you should take it to the dealer to be checked out, if it's a leaking condenser then it will be replaced for free. Although if the leak is somewhere else then only the standard 3 yr/ 36K warranty would apply. Also if they determine that the condenser was damaged by a rock or something that would not be covered under warranty, although that is less likely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't know what year your Clarity is but since at the most it is three years old any loss of freon this early on indicates a leak. Refilling the freon is expensive and only a temporary solution as it will leak out again. There is a known problem with the Clarity condenser leaking and Honda recently put out a service bulletin about it, and the good news is they have extended the warranty on the condenser to ten years. So you should take it to the dealer to be checked out, if it's a leaking condenser then it will be replaced for free. Although if the leak is somewhere else then only the standard 3 yr/ 36K warranty would apply. Also if they determine that the condenser was damaged by a rock or something that would not be covered under warranty, although that is less likely.
Same issue for me. I know they upped the condenser warranty on the Civic for the same kind of problem but didn't see anything on the Clarity.

I can't find the TSB. Could anyone point me to it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gary, I don't know if being an aircraft mechanic impedes the need to be informed. The usual adaptor does not fit. I was wondering if there is a special connector for the R-1234 and there is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gary, I don't know if being an aircraft mechanic impedes the need to be informed. The usual adaptor does not fit. I was wondering if there is a special connector for the R-1234 and there is.
The fact that you called it freon (2 generations old) was a red flag as was not knowing that they intentionally changed the fitting (twice) since freon has been the gas of choice. 1234yf has been in use since 2013. It does not need "a special tool" and is "an ordinary/usual adapter".

·
Registered
123 Posts
The fact that you called it freon (2 generations old) was a red flag as was not knowing that they intentionally changed the fitting (twice) since freon has been the gas of choice. 1234yf has been in use since 2013. It does not need "a special tool" and is "an ordinary/usual adapter".
I would cut him some slack on that. Freon is like Kleenex. It is a brand name that is commonly used (albeit incorrectly) in a universal way. In fact, technically, only refrigerants manufactured by the Chemours Company are Freon. I have successfully installed a car AC compressor (R134a), I have removed an old R22 condenser/compressor and lines and A coil from my home and replaced with a R410a system, I have gauges, and I have a vacuum pump. I understand the concepts of superheating and subcooling, the difference between PAG, POE, and mineral oils and could probably pass the EPA test if I wanted to get a certificate. However, until I bought my Clarity a few months back, I had never heard of R1234-yf nor did I know that the fittings used are different than R134a.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@#$Rider, I understood the purpose of this site is to provide a forum where people can exchange ideas and seek solutions. Your bravado stunt suggests an inferiority complex. I've been out of the game since retiring 20 years ago but it pains me to encounter a new generation (Multiple Choice Tests geniuses) void of analytical skills and ranting at every opportunity. Nonetheless, I learned from the forum that there is a warranty extension on the Clarity. I called the dealership which charged me for a diagnosis while requesting over one Thousand Dollars to replace the condenser. I was informed that my car is covered and I will get a refund. The site is very useful and I am grateful.

·
Registered
123 Posts
@#$Rider, I understood the purpose of this site is to provide a forum where people can exchange ideas and seek solutions. Your bravado stunt suggests an inferiority complex. I've been out of the game since retiring 20 years ago but it pains me to encounter a new generation (Multiple Choice Tests geniuses) void of analytical skills and ranting at every opportunity. Nonetheless, I learned from the forum that there is a warranty extension on the Clarity. I called the dealership which charged me for a diagnosis while requesting over one Thousand Dollars to replace the condenser. I was informed that my car is covered and I will get a refund. The site is very useful and I am grateful.
Glad to hear it’s working out for you and info from this forum helped!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue for me. I know they upped the condenser warranty on the Civic for the same kind of problem but didn't see anything on the Clarity.

I can't find the TSB. Could anyone point me to it?
Anecdote for anyone dealing with warm Clarity air:

The local* Honda dealer's service department went from not having heard of this three weeks ago to understanding it and having the proper diagnostics yesterday.

My 2018 Clarity does have the covered manufacturing fault and the condenser is being replaced under the extended warranty...

...eventually. It looks like the word is out and replacement condensers have become hard to get. Mine is on back-order with no projected date of delivery yet.

* Capital Honda in Okemos, Michigan. I've dealt with their sales and service for the past 17 years and have always felt comfortable with the outcome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts