Honda Clarity Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Took 2018 Clarity in for service @ 21,666 miles and everything looks great except was told tires need replacing soon.

Honda Dealer charges over $1000 for 4 tires and doesn't even keep in stock.

Is 21K too low for miles driven on these tires or are these tire really soft?

Anyone get good pricing at Costco or America's Tire. Is there a cheaper tire or a tire with better mileage warranty? still have a year on lease and was thinking I could get 36K on a set of tires, but it doesn't look good.

thank you

·
Registered
521 Posts
You can get Costco's prices on their website, after entering in your vehicle information it will list available tires that they sell for the Clarity including the OEM Michelins. Typically Costco runs a tire special that alternates between Bridgestone and Michelin, so if you wind up buying a set from them you can wait for the appropriate sale as long as it is safe to do so (i.e current tires are not too worn).

You can also peruse threads in this forum and others where you will find experiences from people who have tried other tires on the Clarity. Many people go with non OEM tires which have longer life, at the cost of slightly lower mpg. In your case with only 15,000 miles left on the lease it may not make that much difference what tires that you get, at least as far as wear.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
If the tires are worn out that quickly, you should have a tire shop take a look at your wheel alignment but since it's a lease, I would get a set of used tires to get thru the remaining one year on the lease.

Mine is a lease too and have 25,000 miles on my 2018 factory OEM tires and looks like it should make the 36,000 miles.

I did have one tire replaced by Honda recently after it blew out and was covered under my optional "Sentinel" service warranty I have...

As @2002 said, you should look for a set of non OEM tires as the factory tires seem to be weak and low quality.
IF you are NOT keeping the car after the lease, then get a set of inexpensive used tires to make it thru the 1 year remaining.

I am keeping mine, so it will be bought out at the end of lease this year, and when my tires come up for replacement, I will be getting a set of high performance winter tires that can run all year as I love the higher silica content for grip in all my cars...

·
Registered
362 Posts
My Volt came with the same OEM Michelins and they lasted less than 30,000 miles, and I was having them rotated every 5,000 miles. I've decided at watching the length of standard auto leases that OEM tires are designed to wear out a few thousand miles before the lease ends, forcing you to pay for replacement tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for suggestions.
I was able to contact Michelin and open a case number. Was told I could go to America's Tire and have them look at Tires.
America's Tire said that the tires still look to be "OK" and drivable. I'll return before I hit another 10K miles and see what the have to say.
If I replace tires, Michelin should be able to prorate the tires and save me some money. Haven't decided on keeping car or returning.
Was hoping Honda would be coming out with a real fully electric Honda car or a Clarity with longer range battery.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
I was able to contact Michelin and open a case number. Was told I could go to America's Tire and have them look at Tires.
America's Tire said that the tires still look to be "OK" and drivable. I'll return before I hit another 10K miles and see what the have to say.
If I replace tires, Michelin should be able to prorate the tires and save me some money. Haven't decided on keeping car or returning.
Was hoping Honda would be coming out with a real fully electric Honda car or a Clarity with longer range battery.
Do let us know if Michelin approves a prorated discount on these OEM tires as I am keeping the PHEV Clarity at lease end...

As for the EV, the Clarity is selling them in California but I don't like the range.
As for a newer PHEV Clarity, I don't see them upgrading the battery as the car is expensive and comes from Japan.

Currently, we are looking at another car to replace our aging Honda with a Toyota RAV4 Prime PHEV is in our sights.
Bit pricey at $45K but it has AWD which appeals to my winter fishing hobby....

·
Registered
36 Posts
My experience was the same as obermd with tire replacement at 30,000 about two months ago. After much research and reminiscence of 50 years of driving in the winter wonderlands of upstate NY, MN and WI, I chose Continental Pure Contact as replacements. Cash cost after rebate was $630. These tires have worked out well but the winter has been pretty mild in WI so far. I did sacrifice some mileage (maybe 5-10%?) to get better traction, but overall the Continental tires are far superior to the OEM Michelins. In two previous winters with OEM tires I often had trouble getting up my driveway when slippery and had to back up onto the neighbors driveway to get a running head start, but I don't think I'll have to do that again.

·
Registered
362 Posts
What tread depth did America's Tires report to you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
For my 2018 Clarity Plug-In hybrid, I recently replaced the OEM tires with Tire Rack’s top-rated Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack tires. They are much quieter and handle better then the originals even when they were new. The Quiettrack tires run about $200 per tire including road hazard protection, and installation was about $100 additional. I’m very happy with the upgrade.

·
Registered
19 Posts
tires

Hello,

Took 2018 Clarity in for service @ 21,666 miles and everything looks great except was told tires need replacing soon.

Honda Dealer charges over $1000 for 4 tires and doesn't even keep in stock.

Is 21K too low for miles driven on these tires or are these tire really soft?

Anyone get good pricing at Costco or America's Tire. Is there a cheaper tire or a tire with better mileage warranty? still have a year on lease and was thinking I could get 36K on a set of tires, but it doesn't look good.

thank you
I have a little over 30,000 miles on my origional tires and looks like they may have another 10,000 left. I checked with my local Discount tire store and their most expensive set is around $800. Michelens with 80,000 mile wear. They have many different brands to chose from with the least expensive being around $550 a set with 50,00 mile wear. All prices included mounting and balancing and lifetime balancing and rotation as well as flat repair. Sams club also had a set for about $700, all inclusive. I think the dealer would be the most expensive for just about everything.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
My experience was the same as obermd with tire replacement at 30,000 about two months ago. After much research and reminiscence of 50 years of driving in the winter wonderlands of upstate NY, MN and WI, I chose Continental Pure Contact as replacements. Cash cost after rebate was $630. These tires have worked out well but the winter has been pretty mild in WI so far. I did sacrifice some mileage (maybe 5-10%?) to get better traction, but overall the Continental tires are far superior to the OEM Michelins. In two previous winters with OEM tires I often had trouble getting up my driveway when slippery and had to back up onto the neighbors driveway to get a running head start, but I don't think I'll have to do that again.
This is good info to know!

I am looking at replacing mine at the end of the 3 year lease (buying her out at lease residual value) and was looking at tires with higher silica content for cold weather use even though I am in hot southern California.
Going to the mountains, fall/winter fishing in the alpine rivers have taught me that winter tires are extremely important.
The trade off is more wear and reduced mileage range.

Thanks for sharing that brand of tire.:wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts