Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to find out if anyone on this forum has had to replace the windshield on a Clarity? I checked at my Honda dealer and their quote came to almost $2,200.00 to replace and recalibrate it, which is crazy! I live in NJ and windshields are not covered on most policies. Does anyone have any experience or helpful ideas to get this replaced?
Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Recalibrate a windshield? That makes no sense as there are no electronics in the windshield itself.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Clarity windshields are pretty expensive because they are only made by Honda (actually they are made by AGC for Honda but they are only sold through Honda). As far as I know Safelite has not made their own version of it like they do for many other cars. And yes there is the calibration of the LKAS camera which is required after the windshield is replaced which adds to the cost.

However some people have saved some money by going to Safelite, the price includes calibration, even though from what I have heard the calibration still has to be done at the dealer. In some cases after they replace the window at the Safelite location they have you take your car to the dealer for the calibration and the dealer bills Safelite. In one case I heard of Safelite actually going to the dealer to do the windshield replacement, when they were done they had the dealer calibrate it. I heard one owner say that their local Safelite claimed at first that they could do the calibration themselves, then later they realized they couldn't so they sent the owner to the dealer to have it done. Whichever way it happens doesn't matter that much in the end, the important thing if going to Safelite is to make sure that calibration is included in the price that they quote then let them worry about how they will get it done.

One other thing about Safelite, there are multiple reports that in Safelite's computer system they show the Clarity as using the same window as I think the Accord, which it doesn't, but which they don't realize until it comes in and they have to order the correct windshield. Not a big issue other than it adds a delay. Hopefully by now Safelite has that straightened out in their system.

Speaking of delays, early on Honda was apparently not stocking Clarity windshields in their U.S. warehouses, they were shipped from Japan directly to the dealer, and people sometimes waited three weeks or more for the replacement windshield to arrive at the dealer. Hopefully that situation has changed also but I don't know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i got a crack. i have 4 estimates:

all swear they have calibration included with the windshield replacement. 638 was a dealer but i wasn't sure she knew what she was talking about she didn't know anything about calibration...

·
Registered
46 Posts
i got a crack. i have 4 estimates:

all swear they have calibration included with the windshield replacement. 638 was a dealer but i wasn't sure she knew what she was talking about she didn't know anything about calibration...
If it was a dealer, go for it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
called another honda dealer. the gal here knew what she was talking about. all others just said, come on down and will get you out in a couple of hours. this gal said, the glass is special order and will take a couple of days to get. her price was $1900 just for the windshield and labor probably put in in the $2500 category.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts