2018 Honda Clarity Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone installed a dashcam yet, specifically a Blackvue (kind of cigar shaped no built in screen)? I got a Blackvue DR900S 2Ch and am trying to figure out where to mount the front camera. I don't think that black masking around the mirror serves any purpose, but I want to make sure I don't block the camera and what I think is the light meter for the auto dim (this is on the drivers side on the road facing part of mirror but there also are what look like sensors facing the driver as well).

I also don't want to be ripping off panels to run the wires from front camera to lighter and another wire from front camera to back camera. I will tuck in as best I can but am pretty paranoid about taking off any panels and especially interfering with anything to do with the airbags. Any advice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
dash cam hookup advise?

I got my Clarity a few weeks ago. I'm still installing things for the car. For example, I installed a nice set of 3D floor mats, I just got the door sill protectors, and I'm still researching which truck tray to get. Dash cam is next on my to-do list.

Since Clarity only has 1 power outlet (cig lighter type), which I'd like to keep open for charging other devices, I'm wondering what to do... Any special advises/warnings for installing an aftermarket power outlet in the Clarity? Or, any tips for tapping/adding hard-wire to power the dash cam? Where best to tap for power?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to do the same - installing a Blackvue dash cam without powering it by using the cig lighter. I actaully got a BlackVue Magic Pro EZ which supposedly can get power through the OBD-II port under the driver side dash. But could not get it to work. I also heard about the mirror tap option to get power from behind the rear view mirror, but have not gone that route yet until I am totally sure that the ODB-II port option is not usable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed a 2 channel Blackvue.
I placed the from camera behind the mirror, a little to the left. From where I sit, the mirror completely blocks it, i can't see it, so it does not take any of my visual field.

Regarding setup:
First, I had the cigarette outlet charger connected first to 2 Cellink batteries placed in the glove compartment. All the wires were hidden nicely. You don't have to rip panels, just pry it open slightly and hide the wires underneath. At that point you also realize how poor the finishing is in this car, has some weird gaps around the dashboard. Had to maneuver the wires and adapter around the glove compartment door, but with a little force it went through easily.
It worked well for a while, but eventually it busted my cigarette lighter (not the fuse), i guess it melted off or something. I used the outlet under the console.

Second, I got rid of the batteries and I used an BLACKVUE POWER MAGIC EZ ODB. It works well, works when parked too, it is able to draw power from the ODB port. Very easy to install and use. Main problem though, it is not fully compatible with Hondas, so the timer/voltage cutoff features don't work. I had several battery drains if I didn't drive for couple of days. Imagine the embarrassment, having to jump-start an electric vehicle. No way around it. Even if you have a full EV charge, it still won't start if your old, classic battery is dead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts