2018 Honda Clarity Forum

2018 Honda Clarity Forum (https://www.clarityforum.com/forum/)
-   Honda Clarity Owners Registry And Check In Area (https://www.clarityforum.com/forum/530-honda-clarity-owners-registry-check-area/)
-   -   CarPlay Help (https://www.clarityforum.com/forum/530-honda-clarity-owners-registry-check-area/801-carplay-help.html)

[email protected] 07-24-2019 09:27 PM

CarPlay Help

Anyone know of a software upgrade or tricks for getting CarPlay to work? I've tried several cables, tried to connect wirelessly, etc. Sometimes it takes 3-4 times for it to connect. Using the map, and especially when listening to Podcasts, CarPlay will either just die or freeze the audio system. Rebooting audio sometimes works but only for a short period. Removing Carplay association from the phone sometimes works, mostly not.
Podcasts crashing is just an annoyance, but navigation failures enroute are not acceptable.
Thanks,
Dan

4sallypat 07-25-2019 12:51 PM

Do you have a Touring or Base model ?

Which phone model are you connecting to ?
Phone software version (iOS) ?

Are you connecting via USB cable to the port nearest your right leg under the tranny shift shelf ?

CarNewby 08-01-2019 06:49 PM

One further suggestion::

Have you tried first shutting off your iphone, then turning it on, then starting the car?

It appears there are combined states of phone/carplay in which iphone initiates carplay and clarity pretends it has no knowledge.
(Hopefully all bugs will be cleaned up in the fall release).

wizzl 10-10-2019 01:02 PM

I have had the same issues. I took the car to the dealer and all I got was a mismatch replacement part for the USB doors, scratches and a loose panel and the same problem. I find that it works for a while just fine but once it starts acting up then I have days of plugging in my phone it works for 20 seconds then disconnects. Very annoying.

nhdabzr 11-23-2019 10:02 PM

iOS 13 and several minor updates since have made significant fixes to CarPlay reliablity. I have a 2018 Clarity PHEV base model, nothing special, with fairly old firmware (March 2018) on the entertainment unit, and CarPlay works great. Completely reliable when plugging into the 1.5A USB port.

Make sure you buy a high quality "Made for iPhone" (MFI) Lightning to USB cable for your phone. Also, try connecting your phone to a regular charger or a computer and make sure it reliably connects every time. Also update to the latest version of iOS. If your phone is too old to update to iOS 13, you need to get a new phone in my opinion.

This will rule out problems with the phone or the cable. If you're still having issues, post back.