Trunk Unlocking - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Trunk Unlocking

My Clarity PHEV is set to auto-lock when I walk away and, for the first week or two of ownership, I could walk up to the trunk and open it when the car was locked so long as I had the fob on my person. Now it will only open if I first open the driver's door (or press the unlock button on the driver's door, the trunk unlock button next to the filler door unlock button or the trunk unlock button on the fob. Should I be able to walk up and open the locked trunk and do I have a problem or was that initial ability a fluke?

I've noticed that, quite frequently, if I exit the car and cross behind it the sensor beeps angrily, as if I've left the fob in the trunk. I'm wondering if I have a wonky sensor...
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:27 AM

I noticed I have this issue as well.
Infrequently, when I step up behind the car (after it autolocked) to press the trunk button under the spoiler, it will not open.
Other times it opens fine.

I noticed if the car manually is locked with the key fob after it beeps angrily, I can open the trunk without having to press the key fob - it senses my presence.

Very intermittent issue....

Maybe an RF sensor interference ?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:39 AM

The problem is that your key FOB is too close to the rear trunk lid. When that happens next time, move the key (or your purse) away from your trunklid back about 18-20 inches from the end of the car. It will work.

I think it is the logic that will prevent you from locking your key inside the trunk.The antenna is super sensitive to whether or not the key is "outside" the trunk.

Not very sophisticated key position sensor. But likely very reliable and very inexpensive.

Rob
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPaul View Post
The problem is that your key FOB is too close to the rear trunk lid. When that happens next time, move the key (or your purse) away from your trunklid back about 18-20 inches from the end of the car. It will work.

I think it is the logic that will prevent you from locking your key inside the trunk.

Rob
You're absolutely correct - I discussed this with the other Clarity driver at the Drive Electric Week event in Abita Springs, LA, yesterday. He noted that there are TWO sensors - one for the latch and the other for the trunk - so staying at least an arm-distance away from the latch keeps the trunk sensor from detecting the fob. We tried several different scenarios on both cars and had exactly the same results each time. Another test of this is rounding the rear of the car from the side while close to the vehicle will set-off the in-trunk sensor alarm (five fast beeps) but if you step away from the rear of the car the alarm will not sound.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 AM

Pesky safety features!

Glad you are aware of how to circumvent the issue! Cheers!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page