Broken windshield -- Safelite says none in stock - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Broken windshield -- Safelite says none in stock

The windshield on my '19 Clarity was broken by a rock. Called SafeLite, but they say there aren't any Clarity windshields in stock -- and no known date for them to be available.

Anyone experiencing the same?

- Mike
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:18 PM

Call your dealership. This car is new enough with a low enough volume to date that windshields may very well be hard to find.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by obermd View Post
Call your dealership. This car is new enough with a low enough volume to date that windshields may very well be hard to find.
Good idea. Need to see if my insurance will work through the dealership!

- Mike
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Harley View Post
Good idea. Need to see if my insurance will work through the dealership!

- Mike
Your insurance will work with any authorized dealership - they cannot require you to use a specific repair facility for any covered repair, including windshields. In this particular case if they ask why you're going to your dealership you can simply pass the information on from Safelite.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:16 PM

Angry Cracked Windshield issue!

ok...windshield has a 2 ft crack in it...went through insurance...then to Safelight...heading into 4th week and no ETA for a windshield !!!! What the ****!

So i am driving around in a nice car, everything else ok, but 2ft crack makes me feel like i am driving around in a shitbox.

Called honda direct...finally got a case, and a case manager, but will not talk with safelite to help expedite things...

after 2 more weeks...i will cancel the safelite path if they don't come through and go through the dealer...in that case i have to lay out the money and get reimbursed by insurance.

If this is the service Honda can provide, this will be my first and only Honda!

So...stay tuned...

I have had many cars over the years and had to replace the windshield...this is totally unacceptable.

My next car will be back to BMW...service on those is exceptional!!! A+

Right now, Honda is getting an F.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brccd View Post
ok...windshield has a 2 ft crack in it...went through insurance...then to Safelight...heading into 4th week and no ETA for a windshield !!!! What the ****!

So i am driving around in a nice car, everything else ok, but 2ft crack makes me feel like i am driving around in a shitbox.

Called honda direct...finally got a case, and a case manager, but will not talk with safelite to help expedite things...

after 2 more weeks...i will cancel the safelite path if they don't come through and go through the dealer...in that case i have to lay out the money and get reimbursed by insurance.

If this is the service Honda can provide, this will be my first and only Honda!

So...stay tuned...

I have had many cars over the years and had to replace the windshield...this is totally unacceptable.

My next car will be back to BMW...service on those is exceptional!!! A+

Right now, Honda is getting an F.
Don't wait another two weeks. Call your insurance company and tell them that Safelite is unable to fix your car. Have them arrange with your dealership to get this repair done.

Manufacturers aren't going to call a third party repair company. Dealerships on the other hand may do so, and in fact many dealerships have contracts with body shops for this type of work. Honda hasn't really been given a chance to repair your car.

The hold up here is that your insurance company is assuming Safelite can do the job when they have told you they can't do so. Unfortunately Safelite hasn't provided this information to your insurance company so you'll have to do this.

Also, in many states you can be ticketed (sometimes it would require being stopped for something else) for that windshield.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:52 AM

Agree with the above,.
This is not a Honda issue, but rather one with your insurance company/Safelite.

It is implied in your post that Honda (the dealer) can fix it, but the insurance company will not reimburse them directly. I'd be on the phone with my insurance agent.

As a side note: I'm old school and actually have all my policies through an agent that has an office in town, knows me by name, and will get on the phone to get things done. Will sit down and review policies/coverage in person, and he's bright enough to know that if he represents his customers best interests (not always the same as the insurance companies) they will both stay with him and recommend him to others. Online insurance has it's place, but the online quotes we get save so little that the extra service is well worth the cost to have a local agent.

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 PM

Unless the 2019 is different than the 2018 had no problem getting it replaced did wait for aprox 2 weeks for the glass to arrive. Phoenix Arizona area did have to give the repair shop the vin number to order it and what they put in was genuine Honda glass. I think the clarity has been out for three years now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:56 PM

The shop I used was Smart Film service was great they also replace any tint on the glass for free. They also replaced the driver side door glass and retinted it for nothing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:06 PM

There are so many Clarity windshield "tales of woe" online that I added windshield replacement to my insurance policy for $26 USD/year. As my last car required four windshields over three years (lots of jacked-up pickup trucks on the interstate highway, here...), the idea of not having to spend my deductible each time seems like a good option!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page