Hondalink - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Hondalink

So I noticed my app stopped working 2-3 days ago.
I looked on the forum and did not find any post regarding any issues as of late.
Thinking it was the app I removed it and reinstalled, same issue an error message appears.
Looking through post I see a way to reboot the cars computer, same problem.

I finally go to the Honda website and see:

We are currently experiencing a system outage and some services may not be available.
We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience

I guess check the Honda website 1st, LOL
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes, I noticed that too over the weekend.

The car's MM said I have a A01 service coming up but the Hondalink app did not alert me.

Normally, the app will tell me before the car says anything - last time I got the notice on my phone was a day ahead of the car's notification screen.

This time I haven't had any reminder on my app - not even after 3 days...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

I am a new owner of a 2018 Clarity and I was wondered if this is a fairly rare problem?

From the post here it does not appear to be a reoccurring issue, it is nice to have the pre climate ability from out of range with the FOB.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 04:56 PM

so if the website is down the honda lnk app doesnt work ? having he same problem, it just stopped working. i deleted, rebooted , releoaded on phone , reset electronic system. NADA- still cant even get the app INTALL. When I access the app it says ....an error has occurred. Please try again later. poor.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmjr View Post
so if the website is down the honda lnk app doesnt work ? having he same problem, it just stopped working. i deleted, rebooted , releoaded on phone , reset electronic system. NADA- still cant even get the app INTALL. When I access the app it says ....an error has occurred. Please try again later. poor.
For the primary functions (charging, EV and HV range, remote climate, etc.) the app on our phones communicates with the Honda server over the Internet, the app does not communicate directly with the car. When you use the HondaLink app to turn on remote climate, or schedule charging, etc the commands go to the Honda server over the Internet, the Honda server then "calls" the car on the AT&T cellular network and essentially forwards your command to the car. Any responses from the car go through the cellular network to Honda, which then forwards the response to you over the Internet to be displayed in the app.

I have used the app for over a year, problems are rare. The only time I remember it not working was last year when the app was down for a few days, but the symptoms were a little different the app connected to the Honda server with no errors, but the information displayed on the app was clearly out of date and not being updated. And attempts to send remote commands failed. The symptoms were essentially identical to if your car is out of cellular range. But clearly that wasn't the case as it was happening to everyone. The only thing that still worked during that time was the odometer reading, that's because odometer reading is communicated via Bluetooth directly to the app on your phone (but not all the time apparently the since odometer reading often lags by several miles). I'm curious if anyone is still getting odometer updates.

The symptoms are different this time as the error occurs instantaneously the moment you open HondaLink. Then again it could be similar to last years problem but maybe this time they placed an error message on the server so at least you get a message immediately that it is not working, which is better than wasting a bunch of time trying to send commands to the car when it isn't going to work
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Patience people - patience......

I have grown accustomed to car apps not working 100%.

My last car was a Land Rover and it was a nightmare compared to the Honda.

The Land Rover app when it worked was brilliant, but when it stopped working, it was annoying.
Same with the repairs, recalls, and glitches that wonderfully capable off road vehicle had but I spent more time in a Jaguar loaner than my Land Rover.
Now I don't have that problematic car anymore....
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 02:23 PM

I have seen online news articles that Honda's been hit by ransmware.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 06:46 PM

My android ap isn't working, but my iPad ap was working. Android won't show me percentage charge, but some of the other features work. iPad app everything seems to work.

Bill
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billb View Post
I have seen online news articles that Honda's been hit by ransmware.
Yep, internal servers hit, even halted some production and it is world wide.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 07:14 PM

That explains my Hondalink shutdown the last few days.

This article explains the effect of the ransomware attack on Hondalink:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...al-operations/

Quote:
A tweet posted by Honda on Monday and pinned to its page states that "at this time Honda Customer Service and Honda Financial Services are experiencing technical difficulties and are unavailable." In response to the tweet, customers have been saying that they're unable to phone the company via its Hondalink services, use the Hondalink app, sign into the Honda Financial Services website, or otherwise make changes to their accounts or service.
mowcowbell likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page