2018 Touring Footwell lights not working - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question 2018 Touring Footwell lights not working

Sorry for the double post. I am new and put this in the interior category by mistake.
Well, here I go again:
On my 2018 touring there are factory installed footlights and they are not working. The roof front and back lights work when I open the door so it is not block A fuse 30. I found the fuse chart, but I cannot identify the fuse for the footwell lights.
I removed the footwell cover and checked the LED bulbs which are working and used an ohm meter to see if there was voltage on the bulb connector which there is not. Checking the SW for light control there are two adjustments for interior lighting which I played with. The footwell lights did not respond.

Does anybody else even have these factory installed lights? It seems that a lot of people are installing after market light so I am beginning to wonder is these ever worked at all.

2018 Touring
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
petteyg359

I got them on mine. Unfortunately, it seems either the bulbs are ridiculously low-lumen or the car is providing them with such low voltage that the light is invisible with any other light source at all. Try in a closed garage at night sitting in the car with the doors shut so the only possible interfering light is the power button. The one for the console shelf has the same problem. You wouldn't know there was a light there if you weren't straining to look for it.

I got them on mine. Unfortunately, it seems either the bulbs are ridiculously low-lumen or the car is providing them with such low voltage that the light is invisible with any other light source at all. Try in a closed garage at night sitting in the car with the doors shut so the only possible interfering light is the power button. The one for the console shelf has the same problem. You wouldn't know there was a light there if you weren't straining to look for it.

Mitter__Mitch
So There is a under the console light! I was wondering. So OK, I will investigate further and see what voltage is being applied and see if I can re-route to the PWM signal going to the upper cabin lights. Give me a few days...

Mitter__Mitch
I tried looking at the lights in the dark last night and there wasn't even the slightest hint of glow. My ohm meter shows zero across the bulb so that is reasonable.

Humm, yours glows so I think that since the Honda site has these as a option mine may not be software enabled. It is also interesting that rather than wiring them in a continuous parallel string each bulb has its own two wires running to the main harness. I hate to go to all of the trouble, but I may investigate pulling the PWM off of the cabin lights and adding HFET isolation between that and the individual footwell bulbs so that they track what the cabin lights are doing. Seems a shame to have to do that but as far as I can tell from other threads these little guys are unsupported.

2018 Touring
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 09:47 AM

If I remember correctly, these are a dealer installed option. I'd take the car back to the dealership and have them resolve this.
Mitter__Mitch likes this.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Obermd,

I am afraid that I just bought the car used last week and that it is out of warranty. I don't think that this problem is worth paying to fix and to tell you the truth I am using this problem to learn more about the car. At least now I know where the fuse box is and have had a look under the dash. I may just put a resister in series with the one light under the console so that it is always lighted and leave it at that. If I can ever get my hands on a wiring diagram I may hook up the other two legwell lights to the cabin lights. I think that these are under software control and just not enabled so there is not much else I can do.

Thanks for the reply.

2018 Touring
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yay! I did it!
You guys were right about getting a dim glow from the footwell and under console lights. I did not see it last night because it turns them off after 30 seconds even with the door closed. So I made a mod to light them up. Now I am a happy guy. Also while I was at it I change the Panel lights so that I can see them in the dark. Very pretty!

That is a blurry shot of the driver's door showing the trunk and gas button lighting brightness. Sooooo much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2679.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2678.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	371   Click image for larger version

Name:	ccdim.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	373   Click image for larger version

Name:	ccbright.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2683.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	377  

obermd likes this.

2018 Touring
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Red face

Finally a better picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full small.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	383  

2018 Touring
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 07:02 AM

If I am following all of this correctly, the peripheral cabin LED's, i.e. the footwell light, under console light, and the lighting on the various buttons, are all "dimmed" at a specific brightness with no user control. For most of them they are dimmed quite low. What you did was bypass PWM (Pulse Width Modulation, basically a dimmer) on the peripheral circuit so that all of the peripheral lights run at maximum brightness.

Ideally there would be a way to control the brightness and not have to choose one of the two extremes, but obviously that becomes a larger project than just bypassing PWM as it would require installing a controller.

Last edited by 2002; 05-10-2020 at 08:49 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Correct. It should be noted that as far as I have been able to find out there is indeed no control for the panel lights, just the LCD screen. If I were to change anything I would tie the two footwell lights to the cabin lights and leave the under console light tied to the panel lights. It might be possible to buffer the LCD back light control and regulate the panel lights with the LCD brightness control, but I have yet to dismount the Head unit. Been too busy upgrading the horns.

HELLA 011225891 Black 77mm 12V BX Disc Horn Kit (Honda)

2018 Touring
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 01:36 AM

Don't forget the two tiny LEDs that downlight the shifter console - they are of the same brightness as the under-console light and seem to switch on with the headlights.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitter__Mitch View Post
It should be noted that as far as I have been able to find out there is indeed no control for the panel lights, just the LCD screen.
When you say "panel" are you referring to the instrument panel? The instrument panel brightness is controlled by the + and - buttons located on either side of the trip meter button, which is located on the dash behind the left side regen paddle. It is actually somewhat awkward to reach these buttons while driving.

In fact I didn't notice it until just now but the + and - buttons also adjust the brightness of the footwell, under console, the button lights, etc. although these lights are only illuminated when the headlights are on. If the headlights are off then the + and - buttons only controls the instrument panel brightness.

The infotainment screen also has a brightness setting, day and night modes are set individually. Interestingly with the headlights on the + and - buttons also control infotainment brightness. It seems like the brightness buttons on the infotainment screen are to set the relatively brightness compared to the instrument panel, then you can use the + and - buttons to adjust all of them up or down together.

Although even though the peripheral lights can be controlled using the + and - buttons even at maximum brightness they might not be as bright as you get by bypassing PWM

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page