Passenger side camera and navigation - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 2002
  • 1 Post By obermd

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Passenger side camera and navigation

OK - found a major dislike. When using Google Navigator via Android Auto or the built in navigation system, using the turn signal to turn right replaces the map with the camera view. Today I ended up turning into the wrong lane because had to rely on the driver display only. The result is I ended up taking a slightly longer and slower route to my destination.

Needless to say when I got back into the car to come home I turned off the right turn signal activated camera. The stalk end button still works should I want the camera view.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:28 PM

Even with the default setting you can turn the camera off at any time by pressing the button on the stalk, and it will stay off until the next time you signal right again. That's how I use it, normally I want the camera to automatically turn on, and in the rare (for me) situations when it pops up when I don't want it to I push the button on the stalk to turn it off. Other people have it set like you do so that the camera stays off unless they push the stalk button.

Also for those who don't know, however you have it set you can turn on the camera at any time by pushing the stalk button even if you aren't signalling.

A similar problem occurs when turn indicators appear in the information screen below the speedometer. Sometimes they pop up when I don't really need them (like sitting at a red light in a turn lane for example) and they are blocking what I want to see like EV range. That's a simple one also, you just press once the button that changes the information screen, and the turn indication goes away until the next time.
obermd likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to try the stalk to turn off the camera while the turn signal is in use. Thanks for the tip.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
Even with the default setting you can turn the camera off at any time by pressing the button on the stalk, and it will stay off until the next time you signal right again. That's how I use it, normally I want the camera to automatically turn on, and in the rare (for me) situations when it pops up when I don't want it to I push the button on the stalk to turn it off. Other people have it set like you do so that the camera stays off unless they push the stalk button.
I went out and tested this this morning. It works and I turned the lane camera back on.
2002 likes this.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:15 PM

Another solution. Just turn off the camera in settings. It will not show when making right turns, but you can turn it on with the button on the end of the turns signal.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post

Also for those who don't know, however you have it set you can turn on the camera at any time by pushing the stalk button even if you aren't signalling.

A similar problem occurs when turn indicators appear in the information screen below the speedometer. Sometimes they pop up when I don't really need them (like sitting at a red light in a turn lane for example) and they are blocking what I want to see like EV range. That's a simple one also, you just press once the button that changes the information screen, and the turn indication goes away until the next time.
Some Great Tips, 2002. Didn't know that pushing the stalk button would turn off the camera when the right turn signal is on. Now I can turn the camera back on as the default setting, which I prefer. Thanks!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

I drove the Clarity yesterday with the lane camera turned on via turn signal. When I turned it back on last week I set the delay post turn signal to 0 seconds - much better than the 2 second default. I suspect the default is because a lot of people flip the signal on and then go, turning the signal off before they've even changed lanes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page