I'm a little embarrassed during fill ups - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 15Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Talking I'm a little embarrassed during fill ups

Okay, just a quick note about filling up the Clarity. I have always filled my cars at half tank, you know, just in case whatever happens. Stuck in a snow drift in the UP of Michigan etc. I've only had to visit a gas station twice in the two months I've had it, but both of those visits were awkward because a half tank is just over 3 gallons. The 12-pack I purchased cost more than the fill.
I get over it pretty quickly though when I realize that I've driven over 1100 miles on 3 gallons.
Kerbe and michaelwei like this.
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:07 PM

Ill bet that the person filling up after you is wondering what kind of car needs so little for a top up. There's a clever marketing play that could be made with this.
michaelwei and obermd like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:49 AM

A slightly larger tank would be nice to save me the embarrassment of asking for a small amount of gas. I also do not like having less than half a tank. In NJ you are not permitted by law to pump your own gas. Most gas stations give a substantial cash discount. NJ gas is pretty cheap compared to other states. The point of all this is that I end up having to tell the attendant to put in a small odd amount of gas like $7 and I get odd looks. You can’t tell them to just “fill it” because they try to make it $10 or $15 and make a mess.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:51 AM

Full-service gas stations are going to have to become more hybrid-friendly because the number of them on the road is only going to increase. I do agree that the size of the tanks on these newer cars could be bigger, especially for those who make longer trips frequently.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:09 AM

There are several hybrids with ranges well over 500 miles per tank.

The Clarity already gets good gas mpg it would not take a much bigger tank to get impressive range. Even 1 gallon would make a difference.

In practical terms it is not an issue. Today I told the attendant that I just need a little top up even though the car had at less than half a tank. After the car took only 3.7 gallons the attendant said “oh, you were almost full already”. I just smiled.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:35 AM

I do wish the Clarity came with a 12 gallon tank. Then, the range would be around 600 miles. For longer trips, its nice not to have to stop every 3 or 4 hours.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaClarity45 View Post
I do wish the Clarity came with a 12 gallon tank. Then, the range would be around 600 miles. For longer trips, its nice not to have to stop every 3 or 4 hours.
Honda had to choose between batteries and gas. More gas capacity = fewer batteries and lower electric range.
The Clarity Electric batteries (25.5 kWh) take up the space the PHEV uses for the gas tank and some of the trunk space.

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaClarity45 View Post
I need to stop to get out and stretch and use the bathroom every 2 hours, so having to fill up every 300 miles or so is not a big issue for me. In fact, I'd rather have more EV range, even at the expense of a few gals of gas.
michaelwei likes this.

Last edited by mowcowbell; 03-29-2019 at 11:57 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucRider View Post
Honda had to choose between batteries and gas. More gas capacity = fewer batteries and lower electric range.
The Clarity Electric batteries (25.5 kWh) take up the space the PHEV uses for the gas tank and some of the trunk space.
The choice is not just between batteries and gas tank size. The trunk is very large. I can line up 3 gallons of water at the back of the trunk and easily be ok with losing that equivalent amount of space to have a 10 gallon tank.

I just took a trip this weekend with a group of people spread across 3 cars. There was 3 legs of the trip totaling about 360 miles. None of the stops were to gas up or charge. If I had driven my Clarity instead of the CRV I would have had to make an extra stop the regular ICE vehicles didn’t need to make. Is it a big deal, no. Would it be convenient to have even just a one gallon bigger gas tank, yes.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:55 AM

Smile Grocery Store Gas Points

My wife was at Harris Teeter yesterday and the clerk was very excited telling her she has over 800 gas points! She smiled and said "oh that is great" but did not tell the clerk our gas tank has been at 1/2 for a month now! Seems like the gas points are not that important any more I wonder if we could sell them.
Kerbe and obermd like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page