I'm a little embarrassed during fill ups - Page 2 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 15Likes

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
Full-service gas stations are going to have to become more hybrid-friendly because the number of them on the road is only going to increase. I do agree that the size of the tanks on these newer cars could be bigger, especially for those who make longer trips frequently.
I haven't seen a full service gas station in years. Doubt if there is one within a 500 mile radius of St. Louis!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groves Cooke View Post
I haven't seen a full service gas station in years. Doubt if there is one within a 500 mile radius of St. Louis!
I think that full service stations only exist in Oregon and New Jersey.
obermd and leemell like this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcowbell View Post
I think that full service stations only exist in Oregon and New Jersey.
Oregon stations are not "full service". They only run your credit card and stick the nozzle in your tank. When it clicks off, they come back around (sometimes takes a bit) and replace it on the pump and give you your receipt.

No cleaning of the windshield or any other tasks that I grew up with as "full service".

Oregon has amended the law to allow self service in rural areas - and they always have allowed motorcycles to fill their own vehicles - but NOT run their credit card (the attendant runs you card then hands yo the nozzle) . Not sure how either of these are reconciled with the "unsafe for consumers to do it" argument.

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Government Regulations?

@tterag might be a little embarrassed. At least he’s not driving a BMW i3. It has a 2.4 gallon tank.

This is a little off topic but the i3 had such a small tank due to the California Air Resources boards classification of what a BEV should be. Alex on Autos had a good explanation on their YouTube Channel. Here is another reference https://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/28/why-the-bmw-i3-has-such-a-tiny-gas-tank/

The Clarity is PHEV and did not classify as BEV but I suspect they also set limits on the recharge levels of batteries. I suspect that recharge to 55.7% to “HV hold” has something to do with 20 miles of range at the destination.

Perhaps government regulators want to make it difficult for a PHEV to be used as a regular Hybrid. I wonder if Honda is navigating a government regulation with the 7 gallon tank?

So when you go to the gas station, be a little embarrassed but be proud that you’re not an i3 driver.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:35 PM

The i3 REx gas "capacity" was originally software limited to just 1.7 gallons in order for the AER to be > than gas range. This allowed them to be have a different classification with more ZEV credits and additional CA carpool access.

The Clarity has none of those restriction and the tank size is not affected by any regulations/credits/incentives. Purely an engineering/design/marketing choice by Honda.
AtlantaRene and obermd like this.

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:09 PM

Plus having just 1 more gallon in the Clarity would make math easier. 1/4 tank = 2 gallons. 1/2 = 4 gallons. 3/4 tank = 6 gallons. But with our 7 gallon tanks every quarter tank is 1.75. Not as easy to compute.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trengle View Post
My wife was at Harris Teeter yesterday and the clerk was very excited telling her she has over 800 gas points! She smiled and said "oh that is great" but did not tell the clerk our gas tank has been at 1/2 for a month now! Seems like the gas points are not that important any more I wonder if we could sell them.
It's been three months since I've filled my Volt and a month since the Clarity had to be filled. Fortunately for us Safeway has extended their gas points program to be used for groceries. I do like pulling into the gas station and filling completely while the SUV at the next pump is still trying to get a quarter of a tank.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:24 PM

Garage
Just wondering if anyone know if the car can run on EV alone, without any gas in the tank? I am thinking of the scenario when there is a gas shortage or when they ban gas altogether in 2040. Thanks for your comments in advance.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwei View Post
Just wondering if anyone know if the car can run on EV alone, without any gas in the tank? I am thinking of the scenario when there is a gas shortage or when they ban gas altogether in 2040. Thanks for your comments in advance.
My guess is the Clarity isn't able to do this. I base this on the fact that the car uses the gas engine under heavy loads, even when there's battery available.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Reminds me of a current Bluegrass song that goes something like this:

"Give ne 59 cents worth of regular, check my oil too if you don't mind. Put some air in my tires won't you mister, and clean my windows too if you've got time."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page