Clarity roof rack on for the season - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Clarity roof rack on for the season

For those paddlers out there, I have successfully installed my 5 year old Rhino-Rack on my new 2019 Clarity Touring. Fits really well and is solid on the roof; I used Yakima's installation dimensions, managing to place the tower feet just inside of the raised strips running the length of the roof for added stability. I do realize my efficiency will be negatively affected while driving with a roof rack and kayaks on top, but I'm willing to accept that in order to enjoy one of my favorite outdoor activities.
At the present time, Yakima is the only manufacturer with an "approved" roof rack for the Clarity; I imagine Thule and Rhino-Rack still have to test their products. My rack was previously used on a Ford C-Max and 2014 Honda Accord. Happy paddling!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200306_151008-1152x864.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	367  
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG+ View Post
At the present time, Yakima is the only manufacturer with an "approved" roof rack for the Clarity; I imagine Thule and Rhino-Rack still have to test their products.
I seriously doubt that any after-market suppliers are investing anything into accessories for such a low-volume vehicle. That said, I've been VERY happy with my SeaSucker "rack" as I tote my recumbent bike around on the roof! https://www.seasucker.com/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 11:02 AM

Thule Success

I was able to retrofit my Thule rack system that I got for my 2014 Accord. The Clarity is wider, for sure, but there was room on the Aero bars, and they adjust very precisely, so it was easy to fit-test-fit again-etc. After a few attempts I was able to secure the racks nicely. The Accord foot pads pretty much matched the shape of the Clarity roof's edge curve. I then travelled 2200 miles to and from a family visit, with a cargo carrier on the rack. Worked very well. Although, the HV mileage dropped to around 39-41 mpg overall. Not bad, really. I normally have been averaging 45+ mpg in HV for other trips without the rack and carrier installed.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Roof rack

Nice to hear that they worked for you. I expected a drop in my mpg also and yours sounds like its in the ball park. I have been taking mine off when not in use...only takes a minute, and 5-7 minutes to put them back. Just like the looks of the car without the racks, although I may tire of that in the future, ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcromag View Post
I was able to retrofit my Thule rack system that I got for my 2014 Accord. The Clarity is wider, for sure, but there was room on the Aero bars, and they adjust very precisely, so it was easy to fit-test-fit again-etc. After a few attempts I was able to secure the racks nicely. The Accord foot pads pretty much matched the shape of the Clarity roof's edge curve. I then travelled 2200 miles to and from a family visit, with a cargo carrier on the rack. Worked very well. Although, the HV mileage dropped to around 39-41 mpg overall. Not bad, really. I normally have been averaging 45+ mpg in HV for other trips without the rack and carrier installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page