Changed tire size. - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ClarityGrayGhost

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Changed tire size.

Hi all,

I changed the tire size on my Clarity, from 235/45-18 to 245/40-18 (now running Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4) according to " wheel-size " no big change on the O.D. and the rear wheel well has still enough room (5mm on both sides).

My motivations: a much larger selection of brand and model and this giving me a fantastic choice of category; a wider stance on the road, the Clarity drives like a sport car.

I may be affecting the economy, but coming from a previous Ridgeline owner, I do not think that I'll be much penalized.

For the summer, I'm thinking of going on 19"

My next mods, tinting the windows and installing the rear spoiler.

Fantastic car!!
4sallypat likes this.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityGrayGhost View Post
Hi all,

I changed the tire size on my Clarity, from 235/45-18 to 245/40-18 (now running Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4) according to " wheel-size " no big change on the O.D. and the rear wheel well has still enough room (5mm on both sides).

My motivations: a much larger selection of brand and model and this giving me a fantastic choice of category; a wider stance on the road, the Clarity drives like a sport car.

I may be affecting the economy, but coming from a previous Ridgeline owner, I do not think that I'll be much penalized.

Fantastic car!!

Overall I like what you did here, from a Performance Standpoint the 245/40-18 size is a better choice all things being equal.

BUT: I have no idea why you would have picked a "Performance Winter Snow Tire" unless your plan was to just use this tire as your ~3 or ~4 month dedicated snow tire based on where you live. I know you mentioned that you are "thinking" about a 19" wheel/tire combo for summer use, but if you don't buy into that expensive $$$ purchase, you will be driving on a snow tire all year long. Snow tires (even performance snows) don't do things as well as their performance A/S counterparts, all those sipes that are cut into each tread block makes for lowered handling (mushy feel) & less fuel economy*.

Rob43

* Michelin rates the Pilot Alipin PA4 tire as a "Green X" Eco tire, but when compared to a performance A/S Eco tire of the same pedigree, the "snow tire" with all of its sipes suffers in the MPG & handling categories.

Last edited by Rob43; 05-08-2019 at 06:42 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityGrayGhost View Post
Hi all,

Fantastic car!!
This is good to know that a different tire size will work with the current 18" rims.

I was thinking of a second set of tires and really wanted the winter performance tires (studless) for mine as I do go up to the mountains for skiing and winter spey fish.

Very good piece of information to have about alternate tire sizes.

Thanks @ClarityGrayGhost !

Last edited by 4sallypat; 05-09-2019 at 10:14 AM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
This is good to know that a different tire size will work with the current 18" rims.

I was thinking of a second set of tires and really wanted the winter performance tires (studless) for mine as I do go up to the mountains for skiing and winter spey fish.

Very good piece of information to have about alternate tire sizes.

Thanks @ClarityGrayGhost !

Hold on, let's look at some facts:

Like I stated, a 245/40-18 works from a "Performance Standpoint", they are shorter in overall diameter (OD).

A Honda OE 235/45-18 tire is 26.3" tall in OD, a 245/40-18 tire is smaller at 25.7", this difference = A Drop In Fuel Economy.

Rob43

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page