Installed my Hitch ... Going Mountain Biking! - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Cool Installed my Hitch ... Going Mountain Biking!

I installed a Torklift EcoHitch recently on my Clarity for my Yakima Mountain Bike carrier.

The hitch installation was pretty straightforward and clean with only the hitch receiver visible.

The Yakima mountain bike carrier fit perfectly and I can open the rear trunk even with the carrier in the up position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2027.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	55   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2023.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	57   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2016.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	59   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2017.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	61   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2020.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	63  

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:20 AM

That's fantastic! Finding a regular trunk bike rack for the Clarity PHEV was almost a deal-breaker for us when we were looking at cars. I couldn't find any carriers on-line that Honda had approved for the Clarity, and the dealer couldn't find one either. Luckily, the one rack approved for the Accord is what we happened to have on our 15 year-old Camry, we took it to the dealer to try out, and it worked.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:18 PM

And the warranty issue mentioned on page 93 of the owners book? I know it says no towing trailers but either of you had comments from a dealer after installing the hitch?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 01:16 AM

Hitch

Hello,
I have a bike rack that "hooks" on to my Clarity and looks to work OK. Just Tested. Would like more info on the hitch.
Was there any cutting involved? Did you get the 2". what needs to be removed from car to install?

thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clarity Bike Rack.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	107  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:26 AM

Questions:

Was the hitch easy to install by yourself ?
Did you need to remove the bumper and lower fairing ?
Any cutting ?
Class 3 sized hitch ???
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 AM

That's fantastic! i have to also install a hitch in my towing truck which we use for 24-hour Roadside Assistance service.

Last edited by martinbrown2392; 06-10-2019 at 05:21 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:49 PM

What model did you buy and where did you purchase it?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:57 PM

Found it: The EcoHitch® for the 2018-2019 Honda Clarity is designed to be completely concealed so you only see the receiver once it's installed rather than having to see an unsightly crosstube underneath your vehicle. This hitch, just like your Honda Clarity, delivers distinct performance and is sophisticated inside and out. *If you’re going to be towing and need trailer wiring, click here! Ensure your wiring harness not drag on the ground by visiting our Eclipse trailer wiring bracket. Trailer Hitch Part numbers:x7377 (2”), x7378 (1¼”) $299.99 includes ground shipping

https://torkliftcentral.com/honda-clarity
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:01 PM

Unhappy No "stealth" option

Glad you all are happy with the purchase. I saw a post here a while back and decided to get the Torklift EcoHitch myself. Unfortunately I didn't realize that when I selected the "Stealth" version when checking out it didn't select that and I got myself the regular "Hidden" variation.

I use to have a hitch just like this on my Toyota Corolla and while it was great for the bike carrier any big dip in the road meant smashing the hitch on the ground. It probably isn't good to smash the hitch but this one was welded to the frame so I wasn't as concerned. Annoying for sure and I could see the chunk of cement where I routinely hit it.

Considering this isn't welded and I think the Clarity is even lower than the Corolla I am hesitant to install this hitch. I contacted Torklift, which only accepts returns on unopened items (not sure what damage I can do to a hunk of metal), and of course I need to open it to see that it wasn't the "Stealth" version.

Has any one had any issues? Not 100% but think I am going to sell it for whatever I can to recoup the cost on this. If anyone is interested please DM me.

Here is the misleading interaction (IMO)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:15 AM

I ride a CLWB (Compact Long Wheelbase - meaning only 6' long) recumbent and have always needed a roof rack and rail system to transport it. Just prior to buying the Clarity I discovered the Seasucker Talon carrier and used it successfully on a Mk7 VW Golf. Today I mounted the bike and Talon on the Clarity and both the car and the carrier seem to be perfectly happy with each other. A quick five miles down the interstate at 74 mph showed no sign of loosening, buffeting or vibration.

Tags
bike carrier hitch , ecohitch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page