High Speed Charger - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

High Speed Charger

Hi all, I installed the Juicebox Pro 40 charging system by eMotorWerks and I love it. It takes about 2 hours to fully charge up and it is connected to my home internet. It comes with a app for my iPhone that keeps track of each charging so I can see a history of each charge and how many kw it took. I got the version with the 50 amp RV plug so it was easy to install since I already have the plug.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:32 PM

Thank you for posting this, so glad to hear positive feedback on this item. Ordered it from Amazon & it’s coming tomorrow. Have the Clarity electric & am looking forward to using it!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:06 PM

Installed the same in my garage. I installed a 240v line with 6 guage wire on a 50amp breaker for the NEMA 14-50 outlet. Good news is that LADWP will rebate up to $500 for a charger so this will end up costing me about $80 for the outlet install and about $100 for the charger above the $500 total $180 for a 40 amp level 2 charger. But man does that elec meter wheel spin when its plugged in. I calculated it will cost about $2.50 per charge at my rate. Cheaper than a gallon of gas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JB40.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	293   Click image for larger version

Name:	JBpluggedin.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	295  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billp91311 View Post
Installed the same in my garage. I installed a 240v line with 6 guage wire on a 50amp breaker for the NEMA 14-50 outlet. Good news is that LADWP will rebate up to $500 for a charger so this will end up costing me about $80 for the outlet install and about $100 for the charger above the $500 total $180 for a 40 amp level 2 charger. But man does that elec meter wheel spin when its plugged in. I calculated it will cost about $2.50 per charge at my rate. Cheaper than a gallon of gas.
LADWP also has a Time of Use rate plan that you can sign up for that lowers your electric rate between 8:00 p.m. – 10:00 a.m., Monday through Friday, all day Saturday and Sunday, regular rates other times. With one big exception it also raises the rate substantially above standard rate during peak period which is Sep-June 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you are home during those hours you would want to try and chill down the house more than you normally would prior to 1:00pm and then try and minimize AC use until 5:00pm.

Note that if you stay with the standard rate plan most of your EV charging will likely be in the Tier 3 rate which is anything above 1050 kWh, so with standard (non-Time of Use) rate you will be paying a bit more for your EV charging than for most of your other electric use.

LADWP also has an additional 0.025 discount for EV charging, although it requires having a second meter installed. I have no idea how much they charge for installing the second meter I am guessing it is not free, whereas I think installing the first TOU meter is probably free because that just replaces your original meter, although where I live (Georgia) it turns out I already had a TOU meter and a guy just had to come out and reprogram it, using his laptop while sitting in his truck!

Note also that any of these discount rates only reduce the rate portion of your bill and sales tax, other taxes and tariffs are based on kWh hours and the rate discount has no effect on them. So while you will usually save money it may not be as much as you estimate using a back of the envelope calculation based only on the percentage reduction of electric rate.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:30 AM

As we don't have ToU pricing in my state I decided to go with the simplest EVSE I could find and that was the well-reviewed Siemens Versicharge. As the wiring would need to be surface-mounted inside the garage I selected the hardwired unit and purchased it factory-refurbished from Home Depot for $344 - it came with the full as-new 3 year warranty. I'd had a dedicated power line run to the garage a year ago when the house was rewired so all the electrician needed to do was to run conduit down the wall and connect the unit - except he neglected to run the cable into the breaker box last year so that added several hours (involving crawling under the house, etc.). The installation bill came to $220 - my electrical utility provided a $250 rebate for installing an EVSE so the entire event came to $314. The 30A Versicharge works perfectly with the Clarity - which can accept a maximum charge of 32A - so it may take a few minutes longer to charge. I've not yet run down the traction battery to attempt a full charge...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:54 AM

Taking delivery tomorrow. Will I be happy with the included charger? I can easily install a LV2 charger in the garage. Is the LV1 a issue for most? TY!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaH3 View Post
Taking delivery tomorrow. Will I be happy with the included charger? I can easily install a LV2 charger in the garage. Is the LV1 a issue for most? TY!
Define happy. Will you be ok with 12 hour charge time? Or do you only drive 20 miles a day?

The OEM L1 unit that comes with the car will run on 120/240v power. I've used mine for several months on 240v and it works perfectly. Takes about 5.5 hours to charge from empty to full.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:45 PM

Ty. !
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaH3 View Post
Ty. !
You may want to do a little searching on this site for how to make the cord that will allow you to plug in the L1 unit into a 240v receptacle. It will require a custom cable. This posting has the info:

https://www.clarityforum.com/forum/5....html#post5287
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:36 PM

I guess "High Speed Charger" is relative, but it is usually reserved for DCFC.

When I've called on dealers and they've referred to L2 as "Fast Charging", I've suggested that they not tell customers the the Clarity PHEV (as an example) can "Fast Charge".

The Taycan takes it to a new level with 60 miles range gained in 5 minutes of charging (275 kW charging at 800V).

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page