Honda Clarity Forum banner

Honda Clarity FC Lease - GAP Insurance and Excess Wear & Tear Insurance

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  4sallypat 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am on the waitlist for a 2019 Clarity Fuel Cell. Pls share your experiences on GAP Insurance and Excess Wear and Tear Insurance.

1. In your opinion is it even required? And if yes, how much did you pay for it?
2. Did you get it through the dealer or private insurance carrier? I currently have Geico and they don't offer it.
3. Is it advisable to get it before you drive the car off the lot or can you delay it?

Thanks for your time.

Randy

#2 ·
1. In your opinion is it even required? And if yes, how much did you pay for it?
2. Did you get it through the dealer or private insurance carrier?
I had a lease through VW and GAP was a requirement: Cost a total of $58 over the three years of the lease. When I looked into leasing from Honda they, too, required it - but maybe it's a "state-by-state" thing. I don't know what it would cost for Clarity because Honda decided to stop leasing 2018 PHEVs.

My insurance is through Progressive - I'm pretty certain that Honda dealers do not offer insurance...

Do you intend to abuse the vehicle? Will you be doing a lot of driving on highways where rocks and stones fly about? Do you expect to transport wolves or small children? Will you and friends be eating barbecue in the vehicle? If yes, then maybe you want to cover excessive wear and tear...

#3 ·
GAP insurance is already included with Honda leases.
I have the Honda Financial Services lease on my PHEV and that includes GAP coverage.

As for excess wear and tear - unless you are the type to return a lease car with extra damages.
I drive safe, slow, and conservatively and never need to pay for such extras.

The only thing I got extra was the 3 year lease term: Sentinel HondaCare which pays for any tire replacements (these OEM "green" tires are not durable IMO), all the oil changes (does a FCV need oil ?).... Negotiated that in F&I from $995 to $530.

#4 ·
I agree GAP coverage is included. You don't need the excess wear and tear unless you tend to beat up your cars. My strategy with tires is at some point while the tires still have enough tread to meet the return requirements (5/32 I think) take the best two off, keep them, and put two new ones on the front that match the OEM tires. The other pair won't wear much on the rear wheels. At lease return time the new pair will still have enough tread, the other pair won't, and then you replace those with the two you took off. So you spend maybe $450 for the two tires and installation. I drive a Clarity FC and project the OEM tires are good for 45 or 50k.

Congratulations on choosing the Clarity FCEV. I've got 28k on mine and it's my favorite of the many cars I've owned. It looks like the hydrogen supply issues are finally getting resolved. Happy to answer any questions you may have about it.

Reactions: 4sallypat
#5 ·
Clarity FC Lease $500 Wear and Tear Waiver

In reviewing my lease, I note that it includes a waiver of the first $500 of excess wear and tear. Does not cover excess mileage over the 20K annual allowance. It's in the paragraph entitled "Ending Your Lease." Another reason not to get the excess wear and tear policy. Do check the lease at signing to make sure that provision is in there. It's a special lease form just for the Clarity FC.

Reactions: 4sallypat
#6 ·
In reviewing my lease, I note that it includes a waiver of the first $500 of excess wear and tear. Does not cover excess mileage over the 20K annual allowance. It's in the paragraph entitled "Ending Your Lease." Another reason not to get the excess wear and tear policy. Do check the lease at signing to make sure that provision is in there. It's a special lease form just for the Clarity FC.
^^^
This is very good to know!
I think all leases generally have a small amount of wear and tear included.
I just returned a Land Rover Discovery Sport and found the lease return was much easier than I thought.

Thanks @altfuelcarguy for sharing this important piece of info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.