Honda Clarity Forum banner

distance on a tank of H2

7K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  TedinCal 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm just checking in with others. I have a new Clarity FCV with about 500 miles on it. I have found about 250 miles per tank and want to hear about others mileage. I'm told I should get 300 miles per tank to start improving after 5,000 miles. Let me know your experience.

#3 ·
I now have about 4000 miles on my car. It definitely gets better mileage below 60 mph and much worse above. So your per tank range will be a function of how that is balanced.

I have a fairly consistent commute of mixed driving and get about 275 to 280 per tank, but I fill up at about 250 because of the fuel station location.

#5 ·
I now have about 4000 miles on my car. It definitely gets better mileage below 60 mph and much worse above. So your per tank range will be a function of how that is balanced.

I have a fairly consistent commute of mixed driving and get about 275 to 280 per tank, but I fill up at about 250 because of the fuel station location.

You should get around 310-320. Just depnds how and where you drive....

#4 ·
I have a little over 12,000 miles on my 2017 Clarity. I get right around 300 miles on a tank, but I do tend to run it down pretty low ... past the zero sometimes. Once I ran out of fuel completely and had to be pushed into the fueling station. Note - you cannot put the car into neutral with the door open. This prevents you from pushing it yourself ... grrrrrrrrrr!!!!

#6 ·
I have about 16,000 miles on my 2017. When we speak of mileage, I'm assuming we are referring to the estimated range shown when you fill up. Mine is usually around 355. Speed is the main factor affecting fuel consumption, as with any vehicle. I generally keep it at 70 or below. I drove battery cars for several years before this car, so I've probably got some habits from trying to squeeze range out of a 75-mile battery that have stayed with me.

You can also consider your miles per kg, simply by dividing miles since your last fill up by the number of kg it took to refill your tank. I believe the EPA estimate of 366 miles is based on a consumption rate of 66.5 miles/kg. Sounds to me like you are in that ballpark.

Hi, I'm just checking in with others. I have a new Clarity FCV with about 500 miles on it. I have found about 250 miles per tank and want to hear about others mileage. I'm told I should get 300 miles per tank to start improving after 5,000 miles. Let me know your experience.[/QUOTE]

#7 ·
2017 Clarity FCV Filling Capacity Reduced in Winter

All,

I use to be able to fill-up above 3.5kg (sometimes up to 4+kg) in the summer (Northern California). Now with winter in full gear, I can only fill up to 2.5kg, thus reducing my range to an average of 260 miles. In the summer, I use to get around 350 miles. One time got 370 miles. Honda cannot explain what is going on. Fortunately, a filling station is near my home. However, when that is down, I have to stretch my usage and am almost at 0 when filling is up again. I am still at around 60 MPKg

If the problem persists when it gets warmer, then I am raising a huge concern to Honda.

#9 ·
range

I just got my Clarity in the middle of Dec '19. Currently, it only has around 900 miles and the best mileage has only been 57 mpkg (282 miles). After zipping around for the first tank, I have made a very concerted effort to see how high I could get the mileage with predominately city driving. Now, I am only getting about 47 mpkg with an estimated range of only 200 miles after the last 2 fill ups. My current calculations from 4 fill ups is averaging only around 48 mpkg and just over 200 miles of range per tank. I don't use the trip computer and always calculate mileage by the odometer and amount of fuel added.

One fill up only took 3.5 kg of H2 even though I had been driving around that morning with the car saying "0" range. I pulled forward to let another car fill up and then immediately re-fueled but it only took 0.2 kg and stopped again.

Currently, I am trying not to use the heated seats, auto air, or defroster to see if the range and mileage improves.

I'm rather disappointed if the range is going to stay around 225 miles. This is not even close to the range I expected. I do live high on San Bruno Mountain in the Bay Area so I am up and down the hill on every trip but I don't expect that to impact my range by this much.

Do any other owners see such low mileage and total range?

#10 ·
I just got my Clarity in the middle of Dec '19. Currently, it only has around 900 miles and the best mileage has only been 57 mpkg (282 miles). After zipping around for the first tank, I have made a very concerted effort to see how high I could get the mileage with predominately city driving. Now, I am only getting about 47 mpkg with an estimated range of only 200 miles after the last 2 fill ups. My current calculations from 4 fill ups is averaging only around 48 mpkg and just over 200 miles of range per tank. I don't use the trip computer and always calculate mileage by the odometer and amount of fuel added.

One fill up only took 3.5 kg of H2 even though I had been driving around that morning with the car saying "0" range. I pulled forward to let another car fill up and then immediately re-fueled but it only took 0.2 kg and stopped again.

Currently, I am trying not to use the heated seats, auto air, or defroster to see if the range and mileage improves.

I'm rather disappointed if the range is going to stay around 225 miles. This is not even close to the range I expected. I do live high on San Bruno Mountain in the Bay Area so I am up and down the hill on every trip but I don't expect that to impact my range by this much.

Do any other owners see such low mileage and total range?
From my experience hill driving takes a log out of the EV usage. I'm sure the same is for when using gas too.

#11 ·
New 2020 FCV Enthusiast in So Cal
Well, I came to buy, lease Honda's more than 10 years ago. I have owned Accord 6 cyl., Accord Hybrid (3 of those) a CRV (non Hybrid), and a Clarity PHEV which was fantastic. I exchanged the Clarity PHEV for the Fuel Cell on October 29th, 2020 after studying the vehicle and all the other electric and Hydrogen Electric vehicles available in my state of California. The hands down best value is the Honda Clarity FCV. I am not a person of science. I am a salesman. I am sure we all have driven behind a stinky, gas guzzling polluting vehicle (almost on a daily basis) often in our travels. It is not only disgusting it is bad for the lungs.
While the EV market is a very small percentage of cars on the road ways of America, they are growing. As a business man using the tax advantages of deducting milage coupled with the $15,000 in fuel provided by Honda and the 20K annual milage allotment, along with the 21 day luxury rental from Avis the lease deal is a "no brainer." The lease offer beats the competition (I have done comparison shopping on all of them).
However, the 2018 Clarity PHEV was an excellent car: Plug it in after driving around and in the morning, or at at 240 charge station and I was off and running without having to head to the gas station. What I was looking for was more EV range. The Clarity FCV gives me that additional range. The Clarity line exterior may be a little "quirky" in design but when sitting in the car or behind the wheel it is the closest bargain luxury feel car available for my hard earned dollar. My latest fill up gave me a range of 474 miles. Driving around town (stop and go) I average 89.2 MPG. Our latest casual drive along the beach coast line resulted in 102 MPG. The secret is simple: Stay in the right lane, let the "crazies" fly by, soft acceleration, anticipate slowing and soft braking where at all possible. The will get you the hands down best milage for your dollar you are spending on the Clarity whether it is a PHEV or FCV. My Mantra is: "Leave early and enjoy the ride." I am pf the opinion that you cannot drive a Hybrid or Electric or Hydrogen vehicle like an ICE vehicle If you do, you may have wasted your money (just personal opinion).