distance on a tank of H2 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

Old 05-19-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

distance on a tank of H2

Hi, I'm just checking in with others. I have a new Clarity FCV with about 500 miles on it. I have found about 250 miles per tank and want to hear about others mileage. I'm told I should get 300 miles per tank to start improving after 5,000 miles. Let me know your experience.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:01 PM

That seems very low. Are you doing city/town driving or freeway?
I have one on order and should be testing this myself soon.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:04 AM

I now have about 4000 miles on my car. It definitely gets better mileage below 60 mph and much worse above. So your per tank range will be a function of how that is balanced.

I have a fairly consistent commute of mixed driving and get about 275 to 280 per tank, but I fill up at about 250 because of the fuel station location.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:40 AM

I have a little over 12,000 miles on my 2017 Clarity. I get right around 300 miles on a tank, but I do tend to run it down pretty low ... past the zero sometimes. Once I ran out of fuel completely and had to be pushed into the fueling station. Note - you cannot put the car into neutral with the door open. This prevents you from pushing it yourself ... grrrrrrrrrr!!!!
Old 09-22-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmarsh View Post
I now have about 4000 miles on my car. It definitely gets better mileage below 60 mph and much worse above. So your per tank range will be a function of how that is balanced.

I have a fairly consistent commute of mixed driving and get about 275 to 280 per tank, but I fill up at about 250 because of the fuel station location.

You should get around 310-320. Just depnds how and where you drive....
Old 10-07-2018, 08:24 PM

I have about 16,000 miles on my 2017. When we speak of mileage, I'm assuming we are referring to the estimated range shown when you fill up. Mine is usually around 355. Speed is the main factor affecting fuel consumption, as with any vehicle. I generally keep it at 70 or below. I drove battery cars for several years before this car, so I've probably got some habits from trying to squeeze range out of a 75-mile battery that have stayed with me.

You can also consider your miles per kg, simply by dividing miles since your last fill up by the number of kg it took to refill your tank. I believe the EPA estimate of 366 miles is based on a consumption rate of 66.5 miles/kg. Sounds to me like you are in that ballpark.

Hi, I'm just checking in with others. I have a new Clarity FCV with about 500 miles on it. I have found about 250 miles per tank and want to hear about others mileage. I'm told I should get 300 miles per tank to start improving after 5,000 miles. Let me know your experience.[/QUOTE]

Altfuelcarguy
Davis, California
2017 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell, Black Crystal
2018 Chevrolet Volt Premier, Green Mist
2010 Toyota Prius II, Pearl White (currently in New York with my daughter for college)
Old 02-08-2019, 05:13 PM

2017 Clarity FCV Filling Capacity Reduced in Winter

All,

I use to be able to fill-up above 3.5kg (sometimes up to 4+kg) in the summer (Northern California). Now with winter in full gear, I can only fill up to 2.5kg, thus reducing my range to an average of 260 miles. In the summer, I use to get around 350 miles. One time got 370 miles. Honda cannot explain what is going on. Fortunately, a filling station is near my home. However, when that is down, I have to stretch my usage and am almost at 0 when filling is up again. I am still at around 60 MPKg

If the problem persists when it gets warmer, then I am raising a huge concern to Honda.