AVAS, me hearties! - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

AVAS, me hearties!

My Tesla-driving friends are all a-twitter (and a-messenger and a-facebook) about the release of the AVAS sounds Teslas will use from this point on: The forward sound is white noise and the reverse sound is a synthesized sound effect - both change with the speed of the vehicle.

I've read that some mfrs use two different sounds while others use only one sound - and that some change pitch according to speed while others do not.

I went looking for a recording of Clarity's AVAS sound and couldn't find one - so I hopped into the car, held my phone out the window and backed out of the garage. Then I pulled back in again.

Same sound both directions - but I have no idea if it changes with velocity: Can anyone confirm either way?

BTW - I've loaded the MP3 file to my YouTube page - feel free to give it a listen!
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 03:05 PM

I've noticed mine has a sort chiming tinkle sound when I pull out of the garage and was wondering if I was hearing things. Very similar to what you recorded. I had a friend stand by it while backing out of a parking space and he heard nothing. Mine's a 2019 purchased in August. Another friend said something about it sounding like a spaceship when I pulled up.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJRuns55 View Post
I've noticed mine has a sort chiming tinkle sound when I pull out of the garage and was wondering if I was hearing things. Very similar to what you recorded. I had a friend stand by it while backing out of a parking space and he heard nothing. Mine's a 2019 purchased in August. Another friend said something about it sounding like a spaceship when I pulled up.
The volume of the AVAS is VERY low - much more quiet than that of the similar-sounding Chevy Volt - and, if the AC is running, it can't be heard at all! I don't know how the visually-impaired will be able to hear it in traffic...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbe View Post
The volume of the AVAS is VERY low - much more quiet than that of the similar-sounding Chevy Volt - and, if the AC is running, it can't be heard at all! I don't know how the visually-impaired will be able to hear it in traffic...
I definitely hear it pulling into my garage as the sound reflects off of the walls, even with the windows up and AC on. The speakers they use are directed outwards so when outdoors you aren't likely to hear it from inside the car. Maybe in the Volt the speaker placement was such that some of the sound reflected inwards, or maybe it was also a bit louder in the Volt, although there is a minimum sound level that is required by the regulation.

The regulation also states that the sound is only required below 18.6 mph, so it's really about parking lots and maybe the streets inside an apartment complex, etc. So there shouldn't be that much traffic noise although the regulation does mandate a sound that can be heard over background noise. I'm sure they came up with a determination of what constitutes normal background noise in the environment that it's intended to operate in.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJRuns55 View Post
Do you back out? If so that sound is the system telling you that the back up cam is operating. It is meant to remind you to use the view on the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
I definitely hear it pulling into my garage as the sound reflects off of the walls, even with the windows up and AC on. The speakers they use are directed outwards so when outdoors you aren't likely to hear it from inside the car. Maybe in the Volt the speaker placement was such that some of the sound reflected inwards, or maybe it was also a bit louder in the Volt, although there is a minimum sound level that is required by the regulation.

The regulation also states that the sound is only required below 18.6 mph, so it's really about parking lots and maybe the streets inside an apartment complex, etc. So there shouldn't be that much traffic noise although the regulation does mandate a sound that can be heard over background noise. I'm sure they came up with a determination of what constitutes normal background noise in the environment that it's intended to operate in.
Last week we had the house windows open and my wife went to the store. I could hear the car humming out in the street as she backed out and drove off.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarification View Post
Last week we had the house windows open and my wife went to the store. I could hear the car humming out in the street as she backed out and drove off.
Since you are replying to my post I can't really tell if you providing evidence supporting something that I said or if you are just making a general comment that you heard the sound from outside the car. Either is fine I just didn't quite catch the connection.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page