Spare key - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By don7778

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Spare key

Thinking about emergency spare keys, which I've always had hidden somewhere in my car. With the Clarity, if the key is in the car, anyone can start the car by just pressing the Start button. Great. But what if I want to hide a spare key somewhere (say, under the car in one of those magnetic key-holder things) just in case I lose my key? Doesn't that make the car available to anyone who wants to jump in and drive it away?
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpepper View Post
Thinking about emergency spare keys, which I've always had hidden somewhere in my car. With the Clarity, if the key is in the car, anyone can start the car by just pressing the Start button. Great. But what if I want to hide a spare key somewhere (say, under the car in one of those magnetic key-holder things) just in case I lose my key? Doesn't that make the car available to anyone who wants to jump in and drive it away?
Doing this has always made the car available to anyone who can find the key.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:57 AM

The remote should never be close to the vehicle unless it is shielded - it will cause problems locking, unlocking and starting the car - confusion between 2 remotes...

If you want to hide the remote, you will have find a RF shielded enclosure.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
The remote should never be close to the vehicle unless it is shielded - it will cause problems locking, unlocking and starting the car - confusion between 2 remotes...

If you want to hide the remote, you will have find a RF shielded enclosure.
I have heard of people wrapping it in foil and that seems to work, suppose it takes some experimentation to find out how much foil is needed.

If I remember correctly someone who did this also hid a spare key blade outside of the car. You can order blank Honda spare blades inexpensively and then pay a locksmith to cut it. The idea was that even in the rare event that a thief found the spare key blade and got into the car, they would then have to find the foil wrapped fob which was hidden somewhere inside the car.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obermd View Post
Doing this has always made the car available to anyone who can find the key.
I did this. I removed the key itself from my extra FOB and put it in a magnetic box and hid it under the car near the back. I then took the FOB and removed the battery, placed them in a zip bag and buried them in the glove box out of site. If I lose my FOB or lock it in I can retrieve my key, open the door and get my spare FOB out, put the battery in and be on my way. I have done this with several cars and seems to work well.
2002 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 12:28 PM

Can you just pull a battery from the remote when you hide the remote? That seems pretty easy and unless someone finds the remote and finds the battery, it's unlikely they will take advantage of it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 08:06 PM

There was just a story in the news about a woman who had her Tesla key card implanted in her arm - anyone thought to do that with their Clarity fob?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 09:57 PM

Guess I just go with the low-tech solution... leave the key fob in my pocket. You can't lock yourself out of the car if the fob is still inside the vehicle anyway.