Midcycle refresh for 2020. - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Leo

Midcycle refresh for 2020.

Hi! I am really interested in getting a Honda Clarity Plug in Hybrid, but I'm missing some features that match all my requirements. Should I expect midcycle refresh for 2020? Is it worth to wait and see what changes are made? Any predictions? Thank you.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:45 AM

I say get a Clarity PHEV while you can. It is very possible the market will polarize to only gas or electric while PHEVs will go by the wayside. PHEVs currently are not profitable to the car manufacturers.
One option is a lease. That way you have a 3 year test drive. At the end you can look at market options or buyout the car rather cheaply.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gadgeteer View Post
I say get a Clarity PHEV while you can. It is very possible the market will polarize to only gas or electric while PHEVs will go by the wayside. PHEVs currently are not profitable to the car manufacturers.
One option is a lease. That way you have a 3 year test drive. At the end you can look at market options or buyout the car rather cheaply.
^^^ Yes this is correct. PHEV sales are at a supposed "loss" to increase CAFE (gas mileage), ZEV (certain states), and AQMD (Air quality) points for the manufacturer. Manufacturers use these points to offset their other models which are gas guzzling & polluting cars...
Sales of Claritys are not high enough to warrant any changes, upgrades, refresh or LCI changes.
I would not expect any model changes for at least 4-5 years and only if they start selling like hotcakes.

OP if you are not happy about the design, features, options of the Clarity, add your own - I am currently working on installing a rear proximity sensor system into the rear bumper because I back into parking spaces all the time....

Or go look at a Volt (discontinued), Prius Prime, BMW 530e/X5e, Jaguar iPace/ePace, or Mitsubishi PHEVs...
yoshix likes this.

Last edited by 4sallypat; 07-10-2019 at 09:49 AM. Reason: BMW & Jag/LR e models
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Leo

Thanks. The only option for me is a lease. Will wait till the end of August and get then.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 PM

Honestly, I would just get the Tesla model 3. I am kicking myself for buying the clarity. No point at all with prices as low as the Tesla model 3 right now.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Hi! I am really interested in getting a Honda Clarity Plug in Hybrid, but I'm missing some features that match all my requirements. Should I expect midcycle refresh for 2020? Is it worth to wait and see what changes are made? Any predictions? Thank you.
If you're not in a CARB or ZEV state you might be taking a chance waiting: From what I understand the 2019 model has been released to only those states. Dealerships in other states are selling-off their 2018 models and not replacing them. The four dealerships in my state that promised they could get me a Clarity in August (when my current lease ends) have ALL now told me they can't (or won't) - so I've put a deposit on one in a neighboring state to hold it until August.

It should NOT be so difficult to get a car that, supposedly, is available nationwide...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaClarity45 View Post
Honestly, I would just get the Tesla model 3. I am kicking myself for buying the clarity. No point at all with prices as low as the Tesla model 3 right now.
I've thought about it, but it would be almost twice as expensive as highest trim of Clarity after 7500 federal rebate (considering the trim of T3 I want with most bells and whistles). Also I don't want to limit myself to electric charging stations only.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbe View Post
Quote:
If you're not in a CARB or ZEV state you might be taking a chance waiting: From what I understand the 2019 model has been released to only those states. Dealerships in other states are selling-off their 2018 models and not replacing them. The four dealerships in my state that promised they could get me a Clarity in August (when my current lease ends) have ALL now told me they can't (or won't) - so I've put a deposit on one in a neighboring state to hold it until August.

It should NOT be so difficult to get a car that, supposedly, is available nationwide...
It's not a problem to get this car (or basically any car) here in California.
fcarr1958 likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:40 AM

West coast and northeastern states are the lucky ones that get the ZEV and CARB incentives but then they are also the states that pay the most for gasoline.
When i visit Montana for my annual fly fishing trip, renting a car the fuel costs were almost half of what I normally pay in CA.

Guess we all end up paying for it all - just into different buckets...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
It's not a problem to get this car (or basically any car) here in California.
Is this twisting a knife or just pouring salt on a wound - I can't tell for certain...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page