Consumer Reports on 2018 clarity= not good - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Consumer Reports on 2018 clarity= not good

Does anyone get the magazine? Horrible reviews and grades on it. I hope they are wrong.

2018 Clarity plug in- Base (Silver)
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 AM

I don't but it might help if you list their concerns. I have yet to see anyone review the car or feedback from those who own it that did rave over it.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:11 PM

It's a shame that they restrict access to their ratings and reviews online behind a membership. Would be interested to hear where exactly they felt the Clarity falls so short in comparison to other EV's.

Last edited by Purity; 03-15-2019 at 03:13 PM.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:52 PM

Garage
I've been getting the magazine for probably near 20 years. It's great reading in the 'reading room' and normally they're spot on. But they're human as well as us and in many cases of new things to test like our Clarity Honda, personal bias may seep in just a bit. For the record, even after driving mine since last May and getting used to the buttons, they're a fad IMHO. I can live with them but would rather have the shift handle. I guess my bias on that agrees with them but doesn't make it a 'deal breaker'. If I were to wager a bet, I'd bet that within a year there will be a full review including a crash test. As the Volt's disappear off the lots we'll have the 'top dog' PHEV. But almost every manufacturer is coming out with their models in PHEV very soon.
When Honda builds one in it's SUV's I'll be trading again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
Does anyone get the magazine? Horrible reviews and grades on it. I hope they are wrong.

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window

Last edited by Cruiter; 03-15-2019 at 09:56 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post
...... As the Volt's disappear off the lots we'll have the 'top dog' PHEV. But almost every manufacturer is coming out with their models in PHEV very soon.
When Honda builds one in it's SUV's I'll be trading again.
^^^ so true!

No need for CR - they are bunch of lies anyway - paid by some competitor....
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:49 AM

Consumer Reports Highs & Lows for the Clarity

The summary I read said it had a nice ride but clumsy handling, quiet on EV but when the engine kicked on it was very nosy and they did not like the push button controls.

HIGHS: Acts as an EV for short distances, ride comfort, interior room
LOWS: Clumsy handling, front-seat comfort, confusing controls, noisy engine

I always liked the reviews by CR but think they have this one wrong. If the engine seems noisy (ours does not) it is because most of the doing is so quiet! It took me about a day to get used to the lack of a shift lever and now I love the buttons!

I think the car handles very nicely and simply love it after putting on 1,200 miles on 6 gals of gas.
[email protected] likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Trengle. I just grabbed the magazine and was about to update.
LOWS: Clumsy handling, front-seat comfort, confusing controls, noisy engine

Handling seems fine for me. It isn't a sports car. I love the LKAS on the thruway. I can drive without hands for miles and miles (not recommended). The front seat is fine to me too. I do notice after reading the reveiw that it may be shorter than many other cars. I'm short anyway so it doesn't bother me. I have also seen reviews with 6 foot guys having no issues. Controls are confsuing at first but with everything else new it takes some getting use to. The engine is a bit noisier than other ice engines I have noticed. I am mostly on EV anyway. I have 1200 miles on mine and haven't filled up yet. Have little less than 1/4 tank.
I do think the rear camera sucks because you always have to clean it after a car wash or rain. Not a huge deal. The camera on the screen for turning right is weird too and the driver side doesn't have an indicator to help with cars next to you. They can improve on that. Other than that I love the car.

2018 Clarity plug in- Base (Silver)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:51 PM

I too disagree with some of CRs LOWS on this car. The engine doesn't seem noisy to me at all. My guess is that their tester didn't take time to figure out the driving modes. I think if you let the battery run out and then use the engine only, it does get very noisy. But why would I ever do that??? The handling seems fine for a fairly large sedan. I wasn't expecting it to feel or handle like a sports car.

I do agree it could have a better seat. My 2013 Elantra has a way better seat. The seating part is longer, and you can adjust the front of the seat higher or lower to change your leg angle, and it has lumbar support. The controls are workable. They are confusing at first, but you get used to them fairly quickly.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:08 AM

Sadly most people take publications like this to heart, which they shouldn't. What I learned with past vehicles is what publications tell you, is just half of the story, the rest comes with living with the vehicle.
Only exceptions are publications that do long term test drives.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:11 PM

CR

No vehicle is perfectly designed but I'm very pleased with the Clarity overall. Further, with GM dropping out of the PHEV market, it's the only game around in the 40+ mile EV range (other than pure electrics, of course).
Some of the criticisms listed in the other discussions are valid, but not deal breakers in my mind. Also, I find the door handle difficult to reach from the driver's seat, and cupholder location seems awkward.
I appreciate having a vehicle I can drive on pure electric 80+% of the time but don't have to have separate vehicle when I want to go on a trip longer than the range of a pure electric.
[email protected] likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page