Premium or Regular Gas - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Premium or Regular Gas

Hi All,

I am just wondering what type of gas people are using. I have been putting in Premium since I only go to the gas station once a month now. Is it safe/recommended to put in regular?
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:06 AM

The owners manual says you can use regular octane gasoline. However, Honda also says to use top tier quality gas. I would avoid gasoline that is not top tier and gas that contains ethanol, if possible. I know here in New Jersey I have not been able to find ethanol free gas.

I only use top tier gas in all my engines.

To learn more about top tier gas and why it is important check out the link:
https://www.toptiergas.com
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:20 PM

Because all our fuel in CA has ethanol, I put in premium (91 octane) as opposed to regular 87 in all our cars...
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Because all our fuel in CA has ethanol, I put in premium (91 octane) as opposed to regular 87 in all our cars...
How does the 91 octane help with the ethanol content?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
You're wasting your money by purchasing 91 octane. Buy 87 octane and if it really bothers you about how long it sits in the tank, add some Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer to the next fill up.

In Oklahoma, 100% gasoline is widely available at top tier stations... it costs about .30 to .40 cents more per gallon than E10, however. Hard to pay that $2.40 per gallon when E10 is around $2.

Last edited by mowcowbell; 02-28-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:41 PM

Must be nice in OK.
We in CA pay $3.50 / gallon of E10
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Must be nice in OK.
We in CA pay $3.50 / gallon of E10
CA! Are they still part of the US? lol
I am going to sue regular. Not worth the extra money from what I am reading.

2018 Clarity plug in- Base (Silver)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gadgeteer View Post
How does the 91 octane help with the ethanol content?
Octane and ethanol doesn't matter - I use premium fuel for the other ICE cars we have - required for our BMW and Land Rover.

I figure using premium in the Clarity can't hurt and since it does not drink gas, 91 octane would be in better shape after months of sitting in the tank.....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Octane and ethanol doesn't matter - I use premium fuel for the other ICE cars we have - required for our BMW and Land Rover.

I figure using premium in the Clarity can't hurt and since it does not drink gas, 91 octane would be in better shape after months of sitting in the tank.....
It's your money and if it gives you peace of mind, go for it. However the reality is that octane has nothing to do with the storage shelf life of E10.

Regarding Okla... cheap gas is about the only good thing about living here. Oil companies run the state and own the government. Weather sucks. Roads suck. Oil field trucking tears up the roads and are a menace to safe driving. We have the bare minimum of public chargers, most of those are Tesla superchargers which are worthless to Clarity owners.

Took a vacation in the Bay Area last fall, absolutely loved it. Nice clear weather, Redwood forests, blue Pacific water, etc. Only thing I thought that sucked was gas prices and crowding in some areas.

Last edited by mowcowbell; 03-01-2019 at 10:01 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:26 PM

Something I noticed when I test drove a Clarity last week is that it took a good 3 or 4 seconds for the gas door to open once you pressed the button. Is that due to the fuel tank needing a few seconds to depressurize?

If that's the case, then this should help a great deal in keeping the gas from going stale.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found this information on page 452 of the owner's manual. It is a pressurized tank.

Last edited by mowcowbell; 03-03-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page