Ev charge miles in winter - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Ev charge miles in winter

Hi,
I know that EV miles are less in the winter months. I live in NY and it has been in the 30's or colder since I bought the car (less than a month ago). My question is... Should the car charge to 47 miles after a full charge and go down a lot faster after driving (get about 30 now give or take). OR... should it say it is fully charged and stop at 37?
It has been saying fully charged and only saying 33-37 miles now. I am curious if this is normal. I was thinking that it should still charge fully and say 47. what are your full charges saying in the winter?

2018 Clarity plug in- Base (Silver)
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:23 AM

The car's processor is estimating the realistic range given the ambient temperature and your typical drive patterns. That is how people would expect it to function. It is something like a fuel gauge, but unlike gasoline, the energy source, your batteries, are very susceptible to temperature fluctuations.

What you see in the morning at fully charged is a pretty good estimate of the actual range you should expect.

Cheers, Rob
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I will wait until it warms up to see if it charges to 47.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:43 PM

Winter charging

I have had my Clarity since January 8 and live in Central NY, most morning temps below 30, some as low as -12 (F). I have yet to see a full charge yield more than 33 miles, most mornings more like 28. I am patiently waiting for Spring before I sound an alarm but this serious of a shortfall from the advertised range has me alarmed.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFan View Post
I have had my Clarity since January 8 and live in Central NY, most morning temps below 30, some as low as -12 (F). I have yet to see a full charge yield more than 33 miles, most mornings more like 28. I am patiently waiting for Spring before I sound an alarm but this serious of a shortfall from the advertised range has me alarmed.
You could help your winter range some by preconditioning the car while connected to a Level 2 EVSE. You'll have more EV range as less power will be needed for climate control.

Do you have a garage? Keeping the car inside a garage can help with EV range.

Folks in warmer climates have the opposite 'problem'. They are seeing more than 47 miles of EV range.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
No shortfall - the EV battery gets drained super quick when you turn on cabin heating.

From the opposite coast, I turn off the heater (climate control), turn off all electronics including headlights, seat heaters or any power sucking device.

I get over 60 miles per charge because I don't use anything - sunny weather in the 70s means no A/C and no heating.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well I tried something different today. I didn't use the heat at all (very little) actually to see if it helped. The initial range said 33 in the morning. I drove about 28 miles today and still had 14 on the EV. I also used sport and the regenerative braking as suggested by someone earlier. Went easy on the gas. I believe the heat does suck so much from the actual range you can get. This is the most I have gotten on a charge. However, I did notice that the gas engine kicked on twice for no apparent reason. One time on the way home it came on for 5 minutes. I couldn't get it back to EV. Still had 16 left. Also, I took it out again and it kicked on to gas again for no reason! I don't want to use the gas. Why is it kicking on the gas so often today? It did this yesterday as well for a period of time. Does it kick on if you accelerate quick? Is there a way to put it back to EV? Or do you have to wait? Also,
I am not sure I know or noticed the "fresh air" button. I wil have to look for that one so it doesn't use battery when it is warmer.
Thanks!
Jim

I posted this in another thread here. Pertains to you. i love in upstate ny too. don't ask me why

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
Well I tried something different today. I didn't use the heat at all (very little) actually to see if it helped. The initial range said 33 in the morning. I drove about 28 miles today and still had 14 on the EV. I also used sport .......
Sport mode will cause the engine to turn on much quicker than leaving it in ECON mode.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

why is that? I can't believe that the braking will only stay locked in with it in sport mode. I love having it in sport mode and braking automatically and charging. What does the M stand for under the D?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
why is that? I can't believe that the braking will only stay locked in with it in sport mode. I love having it in sport mode and braking automatically and charging. What does the M stand for under the D?
Yah, it's an idiosyncrasy.

I always use the paddles when driving in ECON EV mode to regenerate as much energy back into the battery.

Only sport mode will keep the regen level.

M is for manual shift even though it's a 1 speed CVT, the car will "act" like it's shifting....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page