Cold Weather EV Range. Link to best article I have seen - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dwheat17

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Cold Weather EV Range. Link to best article I have seen

This is the best article I have seen on the topic.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/tesl...ng-temps-.html
CarNewby likes this.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:53 PM

Less than one week after the great polar vortex, we had temps in St. Louis in the high sixties. Yesterday I had a projected EV range of 51!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 06:36 PM

Temperature Data from Volts and Leafs

Here's a good piece that shows real data from a fleetcarma study from Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf. Over 7000 Leaf trips and 4000 Volt trips.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ta-from-canada
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Going to be dependent on more factors than just the cold, but this article claims the loss can go as high as 50%. Whats interesting is this study found these kinds of results when the outside temp was only -6C. There's also a drop during extreme heat. https://www.auto123.com/en/news/elec...her-aaa/65573/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
..... There's also a drop during extreme heat. https://www.auto123.com/en/news/elec...her-aaa/65573/
Interesting info - now you have piqued my interest and have a question - how does A/C affect battery EV range ????

I know most of the country in February are freezing, dealing snow, ice, etc...
I am in So Cal where the weather the past week has been warm and sunny where I don't need headlights, seat heaters, cabin heating, window defrosting, etc...
Since I am seeing 60+ EV miles per charge because I don't use any climate load items (headlights, heaters, wipers, etc) so my question is:

What happens in a few weeks when I start using the air conditioning (A/C) to cool the cabin down -- does it impact the EV range ???
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Interesting info - now you have piqued my interest and have a question - how does A/C affect battery EV range ????

I know most of the country in February are freezing, dealing snow, ice, etc...
I am in So Cal where the weather the past week has been warm and sunny where I don't need headlights, seat heaters, cabin heating, window defrosting, etc...
Since I am seeing 60+ EV miles per charge because I don't use any climate load items (headlights, heaters, wipers, etc) so my question is:

What happens in a few weeks when I start using the air conditioning (A/C) to cool the cabin down -- does it impact the EV range ???
The good news is that the A/C system uses much less electricity than the heating elements, so you won't see as much of a degradation as you might expect. However, if the temps go above 100F, you might see a larger impact as the battery cooling system has to work harder to keep the batteries at a optimum temperature.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page