HV mode MPG and engine RPM stats
I ran HV mode exclusively for 356 miles. Ran 4 days just as I would normally do...nothing out of the ordinary. Wind less than 15 mph entire testing period. No precip. As a matter of course, I run 89 octane pure gas (non-ethanol) in the Clarity. GVW = 4260 lbs. I conducted the test using normal HV mode. I never used ECON or sport mode.
- Temps 33 to 44 f. 1 day in the 40's. 3 days 33 to 38 degrees f
- 80% 2-lane and 4-lane roads with posted speeds limit 25 to 55 mph
- 20% Interstate posted speed limit 55 to 70 mph
- 52 EV mile range to start...11 mile range at finish. Never charged the Clarity during the 7 day period.
- I estimate 12 mile range gained through native regen...(ie) never used paddle shifters
- filled up with 6.80 gallons after 303* miles = 44.55 mpg in HV *after 53 miles deduction for EV*
I also placed a OBDll device at the beginning of the HV test. The OBDll device has a SD card installed and I programmed it to start a new log file every time I start the Clarity. 31 log files generated 81,800 data points. Ancillary info below
1 - 35 mph 39.4%
36 - 60 mph 42.3%
61 - 79 mph 18.3%
1000 - 40.47%
1001 to 2600 - 56.59%
2601 to 3600 - 2.39%
3601 to 4445 - 0.55%***
***This RPM occurred under the following conditions. EV range 12 miles. Travelling 55 mph up a 6% grade for 5 miles. These RPMs were recorded 3/4 of the way up and only for 42 seconds. I could hear the engine whine for sure but did not consider it egregious at all. Sounds to me like any other 4 cylinder when being asked to handle a arduous task.
Engine clutch mechanism engages as I expect on all roads where speed limit is ~45 or greater. When maintaining 45 mph speed or greater...it goes off when climbing noticeable grade and when descending a similar grade. Stays on majority of the time when maintaining speed. Very pleased with performance of the engine clutch.
Hope this helps.