What if you run out of gas?? - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tim66

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

What if you run out of gas??

Hi,

I've had my PHEV Clarity for about 4 months now and have no real complaints. However, I do have a question...

I searched the forums, but didn't see this question addressed. I will (hopefully soon) be driving my pluggable Clarity from Minnesota to Florida. Given the rather small gas tank, I will be pushing the limit on gas range each fill. Does anyone know what the Pluggable Clarity will do if there's significant charge on the battery (say 50%) but the gas tank is empty? Will it recognize the empty tank and only use electric or will it continue attempting to start the ICE?

Thanks, Larry Z
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:18 PM

I drove down from Canada to Florida. On the interstate just leave in it in HV and when it is down to 2 bars find a gas station,no stress. I think that it goes into EV mode at the end of the gas supply but why to go that far. I don't think running a tank to empty is a good idea if you can avoid it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:13 PM

Starving the fuel pump due to lack of fuel is not a good idea.
Nor the injectors which will fail if starved of fuel - very costly mistake.

Best to fill up when you tank is at 1/4 full.

Living in earthquake country, we always have a full tank in the event of a natural disaster - once power is cut in your town, no more fuel at gas stations as they rely on an electric pump.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:05 PM

Garage
Don't

Consider driving the Clarity (or any PHEV) as you would a normal car requiring gas. If you run out, it will stop. And you 'could' have other issues already mentioned such as clogged injectors (the last bit of gas possibly carrying trash).

Gas stations are everywhere, don't run out. Unleaded regular is pretty cheap right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryZ View Post
Hi,

I've had my PHEV Clarity for about 4 months now and have no real complaints. However, I do have a question...

I searched the forums, but didn't see this question addressed. I will (hopefully soon) be driving my pluggable Clarity from Minnesota to Florida. Given the rather small gas tank, I will be pushing the limit on gas range each fill. Does anyone know what the Pluggable Clarity will do if there's significant charge on the battery (say 50%) but the gas tank is empty? Will it recognize the empty tank and only use electric or will it continue attempting to start the ICE?

Thanks, Larry Z

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:40 PM

Larry, as long as you are on the freeways gas will not be a problem. You may find this helpful

Tim
IhaveClarity likes this.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring, Solar Silver
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:00 AM

On a long trip it is hard to know where you can find EV stations. I just run in hybrid mode. I have had less power if I let the gas run low, so I keep the gas tank fairly full. It would be great if all motels and hotels provided charging stations, but few do.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:50 AM

There is an option in the navigation program to find charging stations. I haven't used it but I'll check it out today.

Tim

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telarsson View Post
On a long trip it is hard to know where you can find EV stations. I just run in hybrid mode. I have had less power if I let the gas run low, so I keep the gas tank fairly full. It would be great if all motels and hotels provided charging stations, but few do.
I just checked the navigation system and it showed about 50 charging stations within a 50 mile radius.

Tim

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:54 PM

I've only done a few though I always plan lunch at places on trips that have EV chargers. Just nice to top off on a trip.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page