Does the Clarity make sense for a 80mi round trip commute? - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Does the Clarity make sense for a 80mi round trip commute?

Please help. I can't get a straight answer from the literature:
My daily one way commute is 40 miles (5mi local + 35mi highway). Will I be able to go (almost) the whole way on EV or will the car revert to HV on the highway? I can re-charge at work for the ride home. Thanks
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 01:32 AM

I work 35 miles from home. I easily have 7-9 miles capacity left when I arrive, and then plug in and recharge for the drive home 9 hours later. I have ~4,400 miles on the car and have put only about 9-10 gallons in the tank!

This is the perfect vehicle for a 40 mile commute. Cheers!

Rob
Claritywannab likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 01:34 AM

Claritywannab

Really will depend on how you approach it. Since driving habits and temperatures affect real world EV range there is no clear cut answer.

The short of it is given the Clarity has a stated EV range in the 40's...that should work out fine.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Last edited by Clarity_newbie; 12-08-2018 at 01:37 AM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:37 AM

My commute is 70 miles per day. I don't charge at work. Starting the day with a full charge I get a little over 100 miles/gallon; and that's in the winter with heat at 70F. Yes, it makes sense.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 07:43 PM

I average about 60-62 miles per charge in crowded LA freeway driving. I would get much less in open road high speed driving. I use Google maps for trips that would exceed my EV range to determine when is the best time to use HV mode. My goal is to use HV mode durning high speed driving. I want to turn the gas motor on the least amount of times and only use HV once during the trip, then the rest of the trip would be EV. By minimizing the HV periods I optimize the fuel efficiency, and wear and tear on engine by getting it warmed up and starting the engine as few times as possible. I use EV for slower driving speeds and use full regen on Sport mode. My highest EV range was 72 miles. Currently I have used 7 gallons of gas in 4,100 miles. Love this car.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 12:32 PM

I haven't had a Clarity long enough to comment with any confidence. But I did own a Volt for four years. Based on my experience, given that you live in Montreal, you will probably get 35 to 25 miles EV range in the winter.

Tim

2018 Honda Clarity Touring, Solar Silver
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritywannab View Post
Please help. I can't get a straight answer from the literature:
My daily one way commute is 40 miles (5mi local + 35mi highway). Will I be able to go (almost) the whole way on EV or will the car revert to HV on the highway? I can re-charge at work for the ride home. Thanks
I have this exact commute.

You can pick when it goes between the modes if you want to us HV when you still have enough juice (above 20% or EV range above 0) to be in EV. Just push the HV button. If you can charge that is perfect, its what I'm doing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:58 PM

Excellent commuter car

The first 40-50 miles will be all electric. The remaining miles will be on gas at about 40 mpg. So, for a 80 mile round trip, you'll use 1 gallon of gas. That's about 80 mpg. Factoring in cost of charging is tricky. It depends on you kwh cost. Mine is $.06 so it cost be about $1 to charge up the batteries. At $2.50 per gallon and adding the electric cost, total cost is about $3.50 which equals the cost of 1.4 gallons. So, 80 miles / 1.4 gallons is 57 equivalent mpg if you include cost of charging. Still better than a Prius and a much nicer car. This assumes no charging at your destination but you get the idea.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:24 PM

You will definitely need to use the hybrid function of both gas and ev. Ev alone will get you an average of 47 miles. In warm weather you might get up to 60 miles but in cold weather you may only get 40. When you combine the 2 using HV you get really great gas mileage so it's still a great car. But if you are looking to use only ev miles for your commute the Clarity can't get you there. Also, the regenerative breaking allows you to increase your ev miles while driving, but you don't get much breaking on the highway unless you are in traffic. So ev works best off the highway.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:48 PM

You should be fine in the warmer weather. I live in New England and with the colder weather have been averaging about a 36 mile EV charge, which would cover you for all but a few miles each way of your trip.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page