Trunk privacy? - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Kal

Trunk privacy?

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions for securing trunk contents from prying eyes? The glass window is nice, but a security risk, depending on where you park! Thanks.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:30 PM

Get the rear windows tinted?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:12 AM

Garage
Yes, my back and rear quarter windows are tinted. You can shop around for best price but choose a shop that has lots of experience for best installation w/o air bubbles etc. Most of your aftermarket high end radio shops offer that. You can also bargain with most. Due to the extreme rake angle of the back glass it can look a little weird inside but you should get used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groves Cooke View Post
Get the rear windows tinted?

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-22-2018 at 09:15 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Kal

I am afraid I don't understand the terms you are using "rear quarter glass" and "back window". I am specifically talking about the glass on the trunk lid which offers a view into the trunk contents. What do you call that? Is that what you tinted? Thanks!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:52 AM

Garage
Please re-read my post. I was answering the rear windows tinted post, not your privacy post.
RE: that one, it's not an issue.
QUOTE=Kal;967]I am afraid I don't understand the terms you are using "rear quarter glass" and "back window". I am specifically talking about the glass on the trunk lid which offers a view into the trunk contents. What do you call that? Is that what you tinted? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions for securing trunk contents from prying eyes? The glass window is nice, but a security risk, depending on where you park! Thanks.
I have been using a black tarp on the floor of the trunk while transporting my bike. I think it could alternatively serve as a cover to protect from pryng eyes 😏
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Kal

@Cruiter , I see what happened - actually @GrovesCooke was not asking a question - it was a rhetorical question, whereby he was advising me to get the rear windows tinted to help with privacy.

I am curious now - why do you say "it's not an issue" with regards to the Privacy question? Is it because the trunk window is already tinted? But, if someone shines a flashlight in, won't they see the contents of the trunk?

Thanks,
-Kal.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:33 AM

Garage
Kal, I understand you think if people want to look in (with a flashlight) to see what you have, you might be concerned about that. The glass could be covered on the inside with heavy paper and taped into place I guess. The opening is there, so only other option is to buy something else. For me, if they want to see in bad enough to look with a flashlight, then if they can't see they'll assume I have something that I don't want to see and bust in anyway. I park in my garage at home and take care to park other places with security in mind when I'm out. It's not an issue with me. Consider that SUV's even with tinted glass have more storage room than the Clarity. For me, it's adequate.

There is no 'Mayberry' anymore so parking with caution in mind is prudent. Just my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
@Cruiter , I see what happened - actually @GrovesCooke was not asking a question - it was a rhetorical question, whereby he was advising me to get the rear windows tinted to help with privacy.

I am curious now - why do you say "it's not an issue" with regards to the Privacy question? Is it because the trunk window is already tinted? But, if someone shines a flashlight in, won't they see the contents of the trunk?

Thanks,
-Kal.

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Kal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post
The opening is there, so only other option is to buy something else.
Not an option, as I am already an owner! And loving it too, btw. Just trying to find solutions to potential issues when parking in urban areas, where there can be concerns.

Papering over the trunk glass is not attractive as it reduces the rear-view visibility. I was looking to see if any other owner had come up with an on/off type solution that was viable. I was thinking of jerry-rigging a piece of cardboard with a suction cup.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page