Charging - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Charging

I have had my Clarity for 2 weeks. I charge it each night and noticed when the charge is complete I may have different E.V. amounts. It has ranged from 47 to 58 miles. Can someone explain why it charges to different levels? Is it based on outside temperature past driving history,etc?
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:52 PM

What they said...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 03:12 AM

Today charging stopped after only 2 hours from depleted EV mode.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 01:15 PM

Garage
Wow, if your charging on a standard 110v circuit and it was truly depleted that's an indication it detected a reason to shut off early. If you're using a Level II then it's about right. Most nights when I plug mine in, it's around 1/2 depleted and that usually takes about 1hr 10m, and that's in line with the specs. My charger is a Level II and the car is set by the phone app to start at 11PM. Here in GA using electricity from GA Power, the rates go well down to almost nothing at 11PM. The time of charging is controlled by one of the car's computers telling it when to accept current from the charge portal and when to shut it off. Ask me if I miss my $60+ gas bills .

This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite cars I've owned over time. I'm 74 now and have owned north of 200 cars new & used lifetime. My garage wall has 3 rows of tags from cars I've owned just since the mid 1980's. Most of those tag's saw service over one year and the personal ones on more than one car. The gamut has run from VW's including one Karman Gia to M/B's, BMW's, Porsche's, one Pantera, Honda's, and a few American models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhguy78 View Post
Today charging stopped after only 2 hours from depleted EV mode.

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 06:51 PM

What kind of Level II charger do you use, if I may?

Thanks,
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:07 PM

Garage
I used this one as it was available both as a direct connection to the panel or with a plug for a receptacle. I chose the latter as it gave me the option to leave it when I move again or take it if the new owner has no use for it. I have no plans to move but for just a few dollars it gave me that option. I can fully control it with the Honda phone app as to when it cuts on etc. Here on GA Power, the rate goes down in spades after 11PM so I just plug my car in when returning home for the day and the car is set to 'receive' the juice at 11PM. It's also one of the highest rated. You can get it from Home Depot online, Amazon, Lowes or just about any online store. It's also a 50 amp that Honda recommends. And one more thing, it's rated to use outside and the cord is long enough for most cases.

BTW, it's always best to use an electrical contractor that will also apply to your city for a permit for you. That will also keep your insurance company happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebedhead View Post
What kind of Level II charger do you use, if I may?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181018_115309.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	51  

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-18-2018 at 01:11 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:41 PM

I've had a similar experience. My PHEV Clarity is 3 months old. Initially, the EV charge was between 59-65 miles, and now it charges anywhere from 43-50 miles after a full charge. Is there something I should be doing differently to get more EV miles?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:20 PM

Thanks a bunch.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHonda View Post
I've had a similar experience. My PHEV Clarity is 3 months old. Initially, the EV charge was between 59-65 miles, and now it charges anywhere from 43-50 miles after a full charge. Is there something I should be doing differently to get more EV miles?
Is the weather cooler? Won't get as much EV miles when weather is cooler. Gas mileage won't be quite as good either. Slightly different reasons. Batteries don't work as well in cooler weather (think how temperature affects chemical reactions). And gas does not vaporize as well in cooler weather.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:59 PM

Good question. We've had our Clarity for 2 months. When we first bought it we had to drive freeway miles at high speeds and it charged to 43. Then, after my wife drove it just to and from work in town on electric for a week or so, it gradually increased almost daily until it got to 52. Now that night temps have cooled to the 30 degree range it's gone back down to 42. I'm curious what it will charge to when it gets below zero. Knowing that it will have a reduced charge in the winter is one of the reasons I went with the Clarity rather than the Prius Prime -- I was concerned the Prime -- rated at a 24 mile charge -- would barely have 15 in the middle of winter.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page