Towing Question - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Erik92694
  • 1 Post By CalClarity
  • 2 Post By 60Hertz

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2020, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Towing Question

Hi all has anyone had any experience with towing there Clarity on a dolly? Like behind an RV front wheels off the ground. Issues or complications? Planning an extended trip if the covid doesn't destroy the nation.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2020, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have only had my Clarity towed while on a flat bed of a tow truck after my tire blew.

The tow truck driver did mention that Honda does not recommend towing with any wheels on the ground, even in neutral due to the motors.

That would mean if you have an older mechanical axle car, you could just raise the drive wheels (front wheels off the ground in FWD cars)...

I assume these newer cars are not ideal for towing with any wheels off the ground, I would get a flat bed trailer to be safe.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2020, 11:52 AM

And just FYI, don’t expect the tow truck operator to know what’s best for the car. They usually do what seems expeditious to them without regard to the needs of the vehicle.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 10:16 PM

P122 in owner’s guide says
Notice
Improper towing such as behind a motor home or other motor vehicle can damage the transmission
4sallypat likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 08:10 PM

The owners manual does state towing MUST be done on a flatbed trailer. There is also mention that the Neutral setting reverts to Park after 15 minutes. The car needs to be put in "Car Wash" mode when leaving the car to be pulled through the car wash. Can it safely be transported for megthy periods in Neutral? I don;t know--and I'm not going to experiment.

Quote:
Emergency Towing
Call a professional towing service if you need to tow your vehicle.
■ Flat bed equipment
The operator loads your vehicle on the back of a flat bed truck.
This is the only way you can safely transport your vehicle.
Any other towing method will damage the vehicle’s drive system

Quote:
■ If you want to keep the transmission in (N position [car wash mode]
With the power system on:
1. Depress the brake pedal.
2. Make sure the READY indicator is on.
3. Press (N. Within six seconds press and hold (N for two seconds.
u This puts the vehicle in car wash mode which must be used when your vehicle
is pulled through a conveyor type automatic car wash where you or an
attendant do not remain in the vehicle.
If you want to cancel car wash mode, select a position other than (N.
If you want to reduce energy consumption in car wash mode:
Press the POWER button during car wash mode.
u Make sure the READY indicator is off.
u The gear position remains in (N with the power mode in ACCESSORY for 15
minutes, then, it automatically changes to (P and the power mode changes to
OFF.

Manually changing to (P cancels ACCESSORY mode. The (P indicator comes on
and the power mode changes to OFF. You must always shift to (P when car wash
mode is no longer needed.
4sallypat likes this.

Last edited by CalClarity; 01-06-2021 at 08:17 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 11:48 PM

The OP is specific to towing with front wheels on a dolly. My understanding is that, like most front-wheel drive cars, the Clarity rear wheels spin freely as long as the parking brake is not set. With the front wheels stationary on a dolly, there is no movement of the transmission or any other part of the drive train, so gear selection is moot, although I would think you would want it in park and the front wheels strapped down. Never done it personally with my Clarity, but nothing jumps out at me as reason it wouldn't work.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Hertz View Post
The OP is specific to towing with front wheels on a dolly. My understanding is that, like most front-wheel drive cars, the Clarity rear wheels spin freely as long as the parking brake is not set. With the front wheels stationary on a dolly, there is no movement of the transmission or any other part of the drive train, so gear selection is moot, although I would think you would want it in park and the front wheels strapped down. Never done it personally with my Clarity, but nothing jumps out at me as reason it wouldn't work.
Yeah, the rear wheels aren’t connected to the drive train. That shouldn’t be a problem. The question is, when the car is in park do the parking brakes on the rear wheels engage automatically? And, if you put the car in neutral to keep that from happening can you be assured that it will stay in neutral for the entire time it is being towed?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityDave View Post
The question is, when the car is in park do the parking brakes on the rear wheels engage automatically?
Only when using "brake hold" mode. I never use that mode, so I suppose I take it for granted that the parking brake does not engage unless I manually pull the parking brake switch. If you wanted to be really sure the parking brake cannot automatically engage, you could disconnect the 12V battery.

Last edited by 60Hertz; 01-15-2021 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added detail
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Hertz View Post
Only when using "brake hold" mode. I never use that mode, so I suppose I take it for granted that the parking brake does not engage unless I manually pull the parking brake switch. If you wanted to be really sure the parking brake cannot automatically engage, you could disconnect the 12V battery.
Makes you wonder why Honda is saying only to tow with a flatbed. It would seem that it can be towed with the front wheels only off the ground.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityDave View Post
Makes you wonder why Honda is saying only to tow with a flatbed. It would seem that it can be towed with the front wheels only off the ground.
For same reason they tell you to never use an extension cord with the charging cable. It's a simple instruction that works in every situation and gives them legal cover. Rather than launch into a detailed explanation of how to do it right, which no matter how detailed and clear, you know someone is still going to mess it up and then blame Honda, they just tell you don't do it. If you choose to do it anyway as a matter of practicality and utility, then do your homework, know how to do it safely, and understand you are taking responsibility.
leemell and ClarityDave like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page