TPMS false alarm - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

TPMS false alarm

Today I was returning from a short local trip and the TPMS warning light went on.

I stopped to check the tires all looked on.
At home I check all tires and found them all to be 36 psi.

I see the procedure for recalibrating the system but just wondering why this happened?
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolle View Post
Today I was returning from a short local trip and the TPMS warning light went on.

I stopped to check the tires all looked on.
At home I check all tires and found them all to be 36 psi.

I see the procedure for recalibrating the system but just wondering why this happened?
As to why you would get a false warning I don't know. However our TPMS is not the type that directly measures tire pressure using sensors, instead when you calibrate it measures each tire's rotational speed, then if a tire later loses pressure the rotational speed changes and that triggers the TPMS warning. The drawback is it won't display the actual pressures on the screen, but the advantage is lower cost, not just for Honda but also for us as sensors are expensive to replace and they also make changing tires or fixing flats more complicated because the repair person has to be careful not to damage the sensors. Whether these type of systems are more prone to error than the ones with sensors I don't know.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 2002, yes I was aware of the system measuring changes is a wheels rotational speed which of cause changes in reference to the initial calculation in case it deflates.

As for this situation there was no change in the inflation rate of any of the tires.

Now I will need to recalibrate and follow the instructions to drive a given time and speed, no big deal.

Hopefully just a random glitch, unless this is a forced type of measure set of by the system, although I found no posts indicated that.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
As to why you would get a false warning I don't know. However our TPMS is not the type that directly measures tire pressure using sensors, instead when you calibrate it measures each tire's rotational speed, then if a tire later loses pressure the rotational speed changes and that triggers the TPMS warning. The drawback is it won't display the actual pressures on the screen, but the advantage is lower cost, not just for Honda but also for us as sensors are expensive to replace and they also make changing tires or fixing flats more complicated because the repair person has to be careful not to damage the sensors. Whether these type of systems are more prone to error than the ones with sensors I don't know.
I wonder which is better - GM's solution with a sensor in each wheel or Honda's that measures rotational speed. Dealing with both I think I prefer the sensor in each wheel because I can check the tire pressures while driving. It does add some hardware complexity to the system because you need a receiver for the sensors. On the other hand, using the ABS system to measure wheel spin speed reduces the amount of hardware needed and allows you to more easily do things like change rims for the winter, wheel sizes, etc.

As for sensor price, you can replace all four for less than $100 when you get new tires.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

On this issue there are lots of complaints found on older Hondas where the system throws false errors.

The CRV's had the issue and a service bulletin was issued TSB 14-006 software upgrade.

People would go through with calibration but the error returned after various amount of mileage.

Apparently the older transponder system in the wheels may prove more reliable.
2002 likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I finally got around to do the calibration.

Double checked the tire pressures, all were at 36psi.

After the calibration I drove for estimated 12 miles, the tire pressure error message was there again.

What is odd I have driven the car since March without any issues.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolle View Post
I finally got around to do the calibration.

Double checked the tire pressures, all were at 36psi.

After the calibration I drove for estimated 12 miles, the tire pressure error message was there again.

What is odd I have driven the car since March without any issues.
Sounds like something is causing the rotational speed sensor to error.

Ask Honda to check the sensors, alignment, as well as the wheel bearings for all 4 under warranty...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

I was about to call the dealer but had one other possible solution worth trying.

Although I can't find much info on the systems controlled by the CPU running the display, I decided to try a system reset from the display.

Lost time zone and charge schedules, phone settings etc.

I was glad to find the TPMS apparently is part of this reset procedure.

I have driven about 50 miles w/o the TPMS alert popping up.
2002 and obermd like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 02:27 PM

I'm glad I had read this post last week. I just recently received my Clarity, and on my first drive to work (77km trip one way) the TPMS warning came up. I pulled into a parking area, checked my pressures and everything was copacetic, so I'm attributing it to a rough road surface.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 02:48 PM

My tire pressure on the door label is 38 PSI.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page