Clarity PHEV battery charging costs - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Clarity PHEV battery charging costs

Hi everyone,
Have had my Clarity for 2.5 months, 2800 miles and am very satisfied with the car. Purchased a meter to measure and track my charging kWh because our December electric bill took quite a jump, as did our January bill, just in. I'm wondering what is the best way of calculating the car charging portion of the electric bill. In CT here, our bill is split into two parts, Supplier (we can choose from several) and delivery (local utility). Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
James
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG+ View Post
Hi everyone,
Have had my Clarity for 2.5 months, 2800 miles and am very satisfied with the car. Purchased a meter to measure and track my charging kWh because our December electric bill took quite a jump, as did our January bill, just in. I'm wondering what is the best way of calculating the car charging portion of the electric bill. In CT here, our bill is split into two parts, Supplier (we can choose from several) and delivery (local utility). Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
James
There are any number of WiFi-enabled Level 2 EVSE's that keep track of the kWh used for charging a car. Alternately you could use a power meter like this: https://www.amazon.com/KETOTEK-Digit.../dp/B0734SZVWL
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 09:18 AM

How does that power meter connect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbe View Post
There are any number of WiFi-enabled Level 2 EVSE's that keep track of the kWh used for charging a car. Alternately you could use a power meter like this: https://www.amazon.com/KETOTEK-Digit.../dp/B0734SZVWL
Kerbe, the photos aren't clear about how to hook up this Ketotek meter. It looks like you have to put only one lead of a cable through the coil. That means cutting into the cord to separate the leads? I don't want to have to cut into the 12-2 to expose the black wire. Well, it just occurred to me that I could put the coil in the breaker box on one of the breaker wires. Sorry for the confusion. How am I misunderstanding this? Thanks
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 09:55 AM

The car charging is entirely marginal use (you would not disconnect your electricity if you didn't charge your car) do any baseline fees are unchanged. You do pay both delivery and generation on every incremental KWh, so figure out the charger usage (clamp meter, inline plug meter) and just compare with and without the extra load

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page