Clarity Electric Discontinued - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nhdabzr

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Clarity Electric Discontinued

There will be no more Clarity Electrics moving forward. It is now gone from the Honda site and will no longer be available. Confirmed by a Honda Zone Manager.

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucRider View Post
There will be no more Clarity Electrics moving forward. It is now gone from the Honda site and will no longer be available. Confirmed by a Honda Zone Manager.
I am really sorry to hear that. I know the range was limited but there were a lot of people that it fit their driving needs especially as a second car, or if they can charge at work, etc.. My understanding is Honda only produced a limited number each month and they were always snapped up quickly. Of course that was likely because of the heavy subsidies via a very low lease price, there is no way Honda made money and most likely lost quite a bit of money on each one.

Hopefully they will allow current leaseholders to renew for another three years if they want to.

Well one silver lining is maybe they will have to sell more PHEV Clarity in California to replace the CARB credits. Although I'm guessing they have to sell three PHEV or something like that to equal a BEV? I realize the calculation is more complicated than that.

On the one hand this could be seen as not boding well for the Clarity PHEV for 2021, but on the other hand they did decide to continue it in 2020 while cancelling the EV. Maybe the PHEV fits more into their current strategy for the U.S. which favors hybrids over BEV.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:53 AM

The Clarity Electric was twice the price of a Nissan Leaf and had less range. Not a good combination for consumer value.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The BEV was very heavily subsidized and they offered them at $199/month lease which was very appealing.
Maybe the incentives were cut from Honda ?

I sure hope this is not a sign that the pricey FCV flavor will be discontinued....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
The BEV was very heavily subsidized and they offered them at $199/month lease which was very appealing.
Maybe the incentives were cut from Honda ?

I sure hope this is not a sign that the pricey FCV flavor will be discontinued....
The Fuel Cell credits freely "travel" to all Section 177 Regions and States without the discount applied to other ZEV credits, so it is likely that they will be relying on the FC to provide the required ZEV credits.

The PHEV only provides TZEV credits, and TZEV credit are limited and they can't generate all the needed credits from PHEV's.

2020 MY requirements are 9.5% (up from 7.0% in 2019). That means they need 95 credits for every 1000 vehicles sold.
TZEV credits are limited to 3.5%, 6% must come from ZEV vehicles

The Clarity gets the following credits:
PHEV earns 1 TZEV credit
BEV earns 1.5 ZEV credits
FCV earns 4 ZEV credits that travel freely

I doubt that the Fuel cell will go away or Honda will have to purchase ZEV credits on the open market (Tesla always has plenty to sell)

More details on credits, calculation formulas, etc:
https://www3.epa.gov/region9/CA-Air-...Aug%202012.pdf

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucRider View Post
The Fuel Cell credits freely "travel" to all Section 177 Regions and States without the discount applied to other ZEV credits, so it is likely that they will be relying on the FC to provide the required ZEV credits.

The PHEV only provides TZEV credits, and TZEV credit are limited and they can't generate all the needed credits from PHEV's.

2020 MY requirements are 9.5% (up from 7.0% in 2019). That means they need 95 credits for every 1000 vehicles sold.
TZEV credits are limited to 3.5%, 6% must come from ZEV vehicles

The Clarity gets the following credits:
PHEV earns 1 TZEV credit
BEV earns 1.5 ZEV credits
FCV earns 4 ZEV credits that travel freely

I doubt that the Fuel cell will go away or Honda will have to purchase ZEV credits on the open market (Tesla always has plenty to sell)

More details on credits, calculation formulas, etc:
https://www3.epa.gov/region9/CA-Air-...Aug%202012.pdf
The entire "credit" system is a failure - air quality in California's cities has deteriorated over the past decade (under Obama and Trump). This says that despite CARB's credit system, California residents are not flocking to fuel efficient (less fuel => lower emissions) and EVs. The culprit is actually low oil prices, which make ICE more economical because no one is paying for their vehicle emissions. If California really wants to promote EVs and clean up the air they could actually make it more expensive to operate gas & diesel vehicles by taxing the emissions from them. Since we know how much carbon each gallon of gas and diesel contains we can set a price for the emissions and add it at the pump. This will drive the purchase of more efficient, some ICE, some EV, vehicles in the state. We saw this back in 2012/2013 when gas prices nationwide were $4 or more a gallon - big SUVs had zero resale value and dealerships couldn't sell them even with huge discounts, but smaller, fuel efficient cars couldn't be kept on their lots.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 06:36 PM

"
There will be no more Clarity Electrics moving forward"

To quote Art from Christmas Family Vacation, "It was an ugly car anyway."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 08:40 PM

It's always sad to see an EV or PHEV get discontinued, but honestly, the Clarity EV was not a standout product. In key ways (namely, the amount of range for the price) it wasn't competitive with other EVs.

The Clarity PHEV is the highest-volume car to have the Clarity name, clearly the most successful (as it's used outside of California), and for many people, the most practical and desirable car of the series. I'm actually in favor of Honda funneling more sales into the PHEV. I'd love to see more of them on the road.
obermd likes this.

Loving my new car!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page