New member with ? about EV range - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

New member with ? about EV range

Hello. I purchased a Clairity Plug-in on the first of Sept. Have driven it almost 1500 miles. Very pleased with the comfort, ride, fuel economy and most of the tech features. For the first 1400 miles I was getting over 50 miles EV per charge. Then I took to the dealer to see about a problem with the satellite radio when remote climate control is activated. (This has been addressed in other posts on this forum and the dealer said this is something Honda is working on). While the dealer had the car they replaced the A/C control unit as per a recall and also addressed the fuel range issue. I knew that the the EV plus Hybrid range was not over 500 miles but that was not an issue for me. Since this was fixed however, I am only getting an EV range in the low 40's! Admittedly it is cooler now than in Sept, but it is still in the 50's. If this loss of EV range is due to cooler weather, what is going to happen when the temp is in the 20's?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 07:19 PM

I would suggest you open a case with Honda Corporate since it might help if turns out to be a biggest issue.

Not always are folks at dealer the most helpful or knowledgeable but we have it better than domestic car owners.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:40 PM

I noticed a big difference depending on the temperature for the EV range. I am in Canada so i am in kilometers.T he owners manual says 76 kilometers EV range. In hot summer weather, I would get up to 90 kilometers EV range.N ow the temperature has fallen to about 40 and I get a 65 kilometer range. So temperature does have an effect on range.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:48 AM

What is the range at 0 degrees C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahalte View Post
I noticed a big difference depending on the temperature for the EV range. I am in Canada so i am in kilometers.T he owners manual says 76 kilometers EV range. In hot summer weather, I would get up to 90 kilometers EV range.N ow the temperature has fallen to about 40 and I get a 65 kilometer range. So temperature does have an effect on range.

I'm wondering what the range is now that the temp is down to 0 deg C. Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:17 AM

Quite the numbers for temperature to have range fluctuate by, what are the odds we'll see systems in the future to mitigate this on the Clarity?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:06 PM

Garage
Not likely, even gas engines perform differently in temperature extremes. I remember when I was younger living winters in Indiana, you shamed yourself if you parked outside at night w/o inserting the electric dipstick into the warm oil to keep it from turning to thick syrup overnight. An electric blanket around the traction batteries would be defeated by the current it would draw. No easy answer.

Maybe someone from Canada can chime in as to how well there battery warmer works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmode View Post
Quite the numbers for temperature to have range fluctuate by, what are the odds we'll see systems in the future to mitigate this on the Clarity?

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window