Car drops into HV mode randomly & engine racing - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Car drops into HV mode randomly & engine racing

I drive around town daily and rarely go enough miles to drop into HV mode, as the ~47 mile EV range is 95% sufficient for me. I keep the car in EV Econ mode and I find that the car will occasionally shift into HV mode at low speeds at a near-full charge on flat residential streets. After a few minutes, it will usually move back into EV mode, but this is frustrating as I really don't want to be in HV mode while I have a charge.

A secondary issue is that while in HV mode, the engine speed doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your current speed, acceleration or grade. I've had multiple instance where I'm at a steady slow speed (e.g. 20-25 MPG), or coasting on the freeway (65-70 MPH), or decelerating using regenerative braking, where the engine is revving at a very high speed. In a couple of those cases, the revving was high-enough to vibrate the interior panels and make the car sound like a 1976 Honda Civic 1600cc. Not good.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. From a software standpoint, this vehicle has been updated with the patches in SB 18-069 and SB 18-079.

Please advise if you have experienced this and/or if you know of a solution.

Thanks,

Kevin
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 03:08 AM

The same thing happens to me. The first time I noticed it I was sitting in my car with the window down talking to a neighbor and I heard the ICE start (it probably happened before and I never noticed it because I usually drive with the windows up and can't hear it but this time I had the window down and was stopped so there was no road noise to cover up the sound of the ICE running). I realized that it was probably normal and surmised that that was done intentionally by Honda to keep the ICE lubricated. All ICE cars need to be started occasionally to keep the ICE in good condition. Do not be worried the amount of gas used is insignificant I recently topped off the gas tank with slightly less than 2,000 on the odometer. I had a hard time squeezing 0.04 gallons in the tank.When I owned a Volt I talked with Volt owners that went for a year without using any gas. Can you imagine what would happen to the ICE if the ICE did not run for a year? I suggest that you top off the gas tank and drive for about 1,000 and then try too add gas to the tank. I am guessing that you will only be able to add about 0.02 gallons of gas which is a small price to pay to insure the ICE remains lubricated and in good condition.
I am interested to see how much gas you use. If you use much more than 0.02 gallons of gas take it to the dealer. Please get in touch with us in 1,000 and lets us know how much gas you used.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

I appreciated your reply. It makes sense that the ICE would run occasionally (mine did again this morning). I haven't filled the tank in about 500 miles, so I'll get to the 1,000 mark soon and try the top-off.

Have you experienced the racing engine in HV mode?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 05:11 AM

I honestly do not know what you consider or define a racing engine. When my engine runs it mimics the speed and sound of an old fashioned engine way back when the ICE was using carburetor that used an automatic choke and you if it ran on a cold morning to warn the cabin.

I Wrote this a few hours ago and forgot to hit the send button, because I have been falling in and out of sleep due to the fact that I have been suffering from a migraine for the past 18 hours. Although there was a delay in sending the additional info. I hope the additional information has helpful

Also please ignore any typos because the migraine makes it difficult to focus
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 09:50 PM

when you experience the ICE racing what is the % charge in the battery. I have noticed it but not completely odd times. Say if i am climbing a tough hill/mountain in HV or even with low charge the ICE will rev probably to get the power at low speeds esp to get up the hill/mountain. Hasn't happened much and then other times i realize the ICE is running and realize I never even heard it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:37 AM

We are talking about two separate issues. The first issue was brought up by the OP that the ICE running a minute or two. This is done through computer being programed to run every week or two. This is to make sure the engine stays lubricated

Now to answer your issue

First of all remember that The Clarity ICE is approximately the same size as Honda Gold Wing or Harley motorcycle engine but the Clarity weighs about five times more than those motorcycles. The reason that Honda was designed to hold two bars of battery in reserve is the small engine. it has enough power to drive a car on a flat level surface but a small ICE is going to need help to climb a steep high mountain. and that is why the car's computer is programed to hold two bars in reserve. If you are driving up a long steep grade and you anticipate that you will need greater assist you car charge the battery using the ICE or you can hold more than two bars in reserve
4sallypat likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:11 AM

just for the heck of it I checked the net and found out the largest Harley Davidson engine is 110 cubic inches which makes the Clarity engine slightly less 400 CCs Smaller. It's somewhat amazing that a Clarity is able to propel the car with an ICE smaller than a Harley.

Last edited by firsthonda; 09-10-2018 at 11:16 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:38 PM

I've had the 2nd issue happen, too - revving...but it is random, not just when low on charge or climbing a hill. It can feel like the car is suddenly thrown into neutral. One day, I had a hard time getting the car out of the parking lot at work and went straight to the dealer...of course I got the "I can't recreate." The revving feeling isn't always there...there are times when on the ICE, it drives fine (not tearing up any roadways, but does the job). But when it does it's revving thing, I want to scream...feels like a transmission issue, like it's forgotten how to shift gears.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 AM

See my 'Scary Problem' thread

for my description of the same problem recurring repeatedly.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:10 PM

From the owner's manual:

"Auto Engine Stop/Start
The car will select the appropriate source of power depending on the drive mode you select.
As a result, the engine will automatically start or stop as needed to either charge the battery or provide supplemental power.
Under certain circumstances, the engine may turn on or, if it is already on, it may not turn off.
● You are going uphill or accelerating aggressively.
● The climate control system is in heavy use.
● The Ambient temperature is too hot or too cold.
● The High Voltage Battery state of charge is very low.
● The vehicle is running a system check.
System Check
When the engine initially starts (between the time the POWER button is turned on and turned off), the vehicle conducts a system check.
● While the check is being conducted, the engine may periodically turn on and off. This, however, is normal.
● The curved blue line in the POWER/CHARGE Gauge will not appear during the system check (EV indicator may still turn on).
● Once the engine starts, it will continue to run until the system reaches operating temperature.
The curved blue line in the POWER/CHARGE Gauge will reappear once the system check is completed."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page