Horn location - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Horn location

I hate the weak horn the clarity has and need to replace it ASAP. I opened up the good and cant seem to locate it at first glance. Can anyone tell me where to locate it and how to access it?
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:11 PM

I am picking up my car in a few days, and right now I am checking out dealers. I don't use my horn very often (once every few years ) if I was not happy with the horn I would open the hood and have a friend push the horn button and hopefully you can find it by listening to the sound. Be careful before you muck around with the horn because many places issue tickets and fines for using the horn unnecessarily
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 11:45 PM

RE: Horn Location

Hello,
I agree completely. I also have the BlackonBlack Clarity and I hated the horn. I bought the car about a month ago. Today, I successfully changed out the horns (it has a pair) with a pair from ebay. The ones I bought shipped from China, but here is a set shipping from Texas:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-L...4AAOSwX61ZNZVm
These sound like standard horns you would expect to hear on a respectable automobile, not "meep, meep". I also have a Chevrolet Volt which has a good horn, and these sound virtually identical to it.
To install: you have to remove 7 pop up clips from the shroud just behind the grill. Then you can pull the shroud up at the back and bend it up and forward (there is a vent of some kind that is released by 4 of the clips and a rubber piece that holds it down attached that you have to pull toward the engine so that the shroud will clear it and pivot forward towards the grill of the vehicle). It is flexible, so this isn't a problem. You then have to remove the two bolts holding the two round horns with a socket (12mm, I think). You can then unclip the horns (there is a tab you have to push in and then they unclip). The trick then is connecting the new horns. I was able to cut the clips on the ends of the wires for the horns povided to make tabs like are on the original horns. Then you can push these "blades" into the original clips. Luckily I had my son at home cause it is a pain to try to hold a flashlight, hold the shroud up and out of the way, connect these wires into the original plugs and then tape them in place (with electrical tape), making sure that they are secure and won't short out. Still it is doable and the result is a Clarity with a very respectable horn. Afterward, you just push the shroud back forward and put the vent back into place (it may take a flat blade screwdriver to get the vent back into the two slots in the shroud). Then just replace the piece of rubber back on top of the vent, put in the 4 clips holding it, and then put the remaining 3 clips back into the shroud.

Hope this helps...
Ovals49 likes this.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:10 PM
tom

Totally agree. Super wimpy horn. I cannot find the one you found on ebay. Is there a brand or specifications for voltage, etc?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:20 PM

RE: Horn Location

Do ebay search on:

12V 110 dB Loud Dual-tone Snail Universal Electric Horn Car Truck Auto

I bought the ones in the box with the BMW on it that says "LOUD ELECTRONIC HORN". They are solid black.
It ships with 4 wires that help to make the clips.
Current pricing is $13 to $14 delivered.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:14 PM
tom

Thanks, I think I'll give it a try.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Garage
Easy horn fix

The 1st time I honked my horn I also thought 'pretty darn wimpy'. Then being the curious sort I am, I powered the window down and tried again.
Wow! We have sound insulated glass in the Clarity. You can even find it mentioned in the specs. Try with the window down yourself and you may find the horn will blast away with the others.

Now we have to decide if we want it even louder, or if the car is so naturally quite the sound deadening could create a danger to the driver by not being able to hear others

Or maybe I just hear to well ???

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:20 PM
tom

I tried this. You're right, it's much louder with the window down. But it still sounds wimpy (too high pitch). I ordered the $14 replacement from eBay suggested above. I might use one of each horn and see how that sounds
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:27 AM

I guess people that don't live in big cities don't use their horns very often. I live in a small town and often drive more than a year without using the horn. I tested it once the day I got the car and tested it a second time when I read this thread. Some towns have regulations about horns. If your horn is too loud or you use it in an area where it is designated as a quite zone you will get a ticket. It is your car so do whatever makes you happy as long as it is within the law.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 12:31 PM

I'm reading the posts, albeit old, with interest/amusement since I've lived my life in the southern US and have noticed when I'm in the Buffalo, NY suburbs that standard driving practice dictates honking is first with braking being a second and "optional" action! I'm not familiar with any prohibition of its use but we usually use the horn just before a wave using ALL our fingers.
Kerbe and mhaynes like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page