Steering Wheel Angle Fix - Page 2 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 09:56 AM

I think the confusion was introduced from the start. The original post really should have said steering wheel off-center.

Usually steering wheel of center can happen if a wheel slams a curb and a slight bend of the mechanical components occur.
This also changes the toe of the wheels and the compensation to steer straight results in steering wheel off-set.

This is then is fixed by turning the tie rod adjusters while setting back the correct toe.

The 20 degree off-set steering wheel not to be corrected by repositioning the steering wheel on the steering shaft is shown after a lock to lock is performed.
If one would simply remove the steering wheel to bring the steering wheel back to center, the car would increase/decrease the full turn ability left/right.

Steering wheel angle terms appears to be used only for calculations that is related to the sensor/CPU.
The neutral and the reset is all part of these calculations and how they are performed
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolle View Post
The 20 degree off-set steering wheel not to be corrected by repositioning the steering wheel on the steering shaft is shown after a lock to lock is performed.
If one would simply remove the steering wheel to bring the steering wheel back to center, the car would increase/decrease the full turn ability left/right.
I have always assumed that this particular problem only occurs when a steering wheel has been removed then reinstalled incorrectly, like can happen when someone is having some type of work done behind the dash that requires removing the steering wheel. Whereas hitting a curb etc requires fixing the mechanical problem that has caused the steering wheel to now be off-center. But I'll bet a lot of people just reposition the steering wheel in those cases, thinking they have fixed the problem, when the underlying issue is still there.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 06:01 PM

You are absolutely right about that mistake of just making a drastic correction of the offset by repositioning the wheel on the steering shaft. Usually that happens after major work where a lot of front end work is done, damage etc.

Not only can the left/right max lock to lock be off but the cancellation of the turn signal switch can be effected.

So Honda wants the rack and pinion gear to be in the center, steering wheel centered at the same time. In addition the steering shaft may also have to be centered if there are any mechanical functions on the shaft that depends on that.

Also of cause the toe in/toe out of the wheels also need to be in specification when the above is right, I guess most new cars are 0 but I cant find any info on the Clarity for that

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page