High Voltage Battery Capacity loss - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kerbe
  • 1 Post By obermd
  • 1 Post By 2002

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Question High Voltage Battery Capacity loss

I have had my Clarity touring model since late December 2017 and currently have 16,500 miles on it. I most recently noticed that my real world driving range has dropped to around 43-44 miles on a Fall day (this is actually driving distance not that on display meter) with temperate temperatures - basically daytime highs between 70-80 degrees with the car garaged and morning temperature in the 50's. The display meter is indicating between 45-46 mile range at full charge. I repeated this several times to verify. Has anyone had experience with degradation of the high capacity battery? In some of the blogs on the Tesla's, I read that degradation of under 5% over 100,000 miles - just want to make sure what I am seeing is normal. The printed warranty from Honda does not explicitly state the anticipated degradation for a normal battery.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have had my Clarity touring model since late December 2017 and currently have 16,500 miles on it. I most recently noticed that my real world driving range has dropped to around 43-44 miles on a Fall day (this is actually driving distance not that on display meter) with temperate temperatures - basically daytime highs between 70-80 degrees with the car garaged and morning temperature in the 50's. The display meter is indicating between 45-46 mile range at full charge. I repeated this several times to verify. Has anyone had experience with degradation of the high capacity battery? In some of the blogs on the Tesla's, I read that degradation of under 5% over 100,000 miles - just want to make sure what I am seeing is normal. The printed warranty from Honda does not explicitly state the anticipated degradation for a normal battery.
Honda dealers can do a battery capacity test, if you're worried. I understand that, fresh from the factory, the Clarity PHEV battery capacity was 55.1 Ah - I purchased my 2018, new, after it had been sitting on the lot - uncharged - for nine months. My capacity test showed 55 Ah.
[email protected] likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:15 AM

What were you getting before? Was everything okay all summer then it dropped when you got to fall?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 10:19 AM

Take a look at your estimated gas range. If it's dropped as well then the battery is fine and something else is causing more energy consumption - be it driving style, speed, or a mechanical problem with the car.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Yes - It seems that I did have full range over the summer. It has dropped a bit now that Fall has set in, even though the temperatures in New England have remained at summer levels thus far. I will watch this through the Winter and if i see any more loss appears once it warms up again in the Spring. If it does, I will have the battery capacity checked at the dealer - especially before my three year full vehicle warranty is over (I do understand that there is an 8 year warranty on the high capacity battery).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yes - It seems that I did have full range over the summer. It has dropped a bit now that Fall has set in, even though the temperatures in New England have remained at summer levels thus far. I will watch this through the Winter and if i see any more loss appears once it warms up again in the Spring. If it does, I will have the battery capacity checked at the dealer - especially before my three year full vehicle warranty is over (I do understand that there is an 8 year warranty on the high capacity battery).
As Kerbe mentioned the typical new battery tests at around 55 Ah. Warranty replacement only occurs if it is below 36.6 Ah. Most dealers don't seem to do the capacity test when they do PDI even though they are supposed to, so if the dealer tries to charge you for doing the test, mention that it was supposed to be done as part of PDI but wasn't, sometimes they do it for free when people tell them that.

Yours will probably be above 36.6 Ah but at least you will know from the result where your battery is in relation to typical new batteries. Also just a side note it's sort of a misnomer to refer to it as a capacity test even though that's what we all tend to call it. It's actually a value stored in the system that they get by hooking up their computer to the car. It's not like the dealer actually tests the battery capacity.

Tags
battery capacity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page